Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2020, 06:24 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishguy View Post
I've checked the outlets and they are solid as a rock and no indication of damage. Working on wiring at the breaker panels.
I should have suggested that first, as I (and many others) are assuming there is power from the breaker that supplies that circuit.

If there is power there, and not in the first receptacle in the chain, then at least you know thereís damage to the cable. Not good news, but better to know where the issue is than not.

And donít discount the possibility of a receptacle or other load connection somewhere hidden. It seems to be a regular thing here for someone battling GFCI wars to be told to look in (fill in the blank), and sure enough, a GFCI in a place youíd never think to look if you didnít know.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2020, 06:34 AM   #16

In your breaker panel, are the labels next to the breakers marked GFCI OR are the breakers themself marked GFCI.

GFCI breakers will look different then standard ones.

My RV has a breaker labeled GFCI but that only means the first outlet in the circuit is one with the reset button.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 09:27 AM   #17

Hi all and thank you for your input so far,

I've checked all 120v and 240v breakers in the breaker boxes with my multi-meter. All test fine on the 30 amp shore power so the input side seems proper. They all test good with the inverter supplying power as well.

I ran the genny and still no power to that chain of outlets. There are six outlets in total that have no power. All run along the kitchen side of the coach, all the way to the front TV.

I've checked every outlet on and in this coach and none have a GFI reset button. There are two breakers in the 120 v panel that are GFI, one labeled "front kitchen" and the other labeled "Bath". Both test good on the output side.

Forum member kenwyatt (former electrician) has given me some other tests to do so will try those out as well.

I'm going to try checking each outlet again and see if there is a loose or melted connection. Would this circuit of outlets all shut down if one outlet connection is bad or just every outlet down stream from the bad one?
So basically if one outlet has an open circuit, would that shut down all of the other outlets on that chain?
irishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 09:35 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
In your breaker panel, are the labels next to the breakers marked GFCI OR are the breakers themself marked GFCI.

GFCI breakers will look different then standard ones.

My RV has a breaker labeled GFCI but that only means the first outlet in the circuit is one with the reset button.
Twinboat,

The labels next to the "front kitchen" and "rear bath" breakers say "GFI". As well there is a GFI "test" button on these two breakers that flips and displays a little red marker. To reset it, I have to flip the breaker to off and then on. These two breakers look different than all the other breakers.
Old 06-28-2020, 02:22 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Are you getting power to the load side of the GFCI breaker?
windsorbill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 02:26 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishguy View Post
Hi all and thank you for your input so far,

I've checked all 120v and 240v breakers in the breaker boxes with my multi-meter. All test fine on the 30 amp shore power so the input side seems proper. They all test good with the inverter supplying power as well.

I ran the genny and still no power to that chain of outlets. There are six outlets in total that have no power. All run along the kitchen side of the coach, all the way to the front TV.

I've checked every outlet on and in this coach and none have a GFI reset button. There are two breakers in the 120 v panel that are GFI, one labeled "front kitchen" and the other labeled "Bath". Both test good on the output side.

Forum member kenwyatt (former electrician) has given me some other tests to do so will try those out as well.

I'm going to try checking each outlet again and see if there is a loose or melted connection. Would this circuit of outlets all shut down if one outlet connection is bad or just every outlet down stream from the bad one?
So basically if one outlet has an open circuit, would that shut down all of the other outlets on that chain?

normally if one connection is bad, it would not allow anything down stream to work. Now if there was a short, that's a different problem, but it would likely trip you CB.
Old 06-28-2020, 04:29 PM   #21

kenwyatt ran me through a bunch of diagnostic checks and all is good to/from the breaker. So the problem is in the daisy chain line supplying all those outlets. Now comes the painstaking search.
Old 06-28-2020, 04:40 PM   #22

Just for a lark check to see if the flexible kitchen drain line is leaking Sometimes the water will drip into a junction box. Gfi breakers are super sensitive.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 07:20 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by moisheh View Post
Just for a lark check to see if the flexible kitchen drain line is leaking Sometimes the water will drip into a junction box. Gfi breakers are super sensitive.
I'm not so lucky...I opened the junction box under the sink and all is dry as a bone.
Old 06-28-2020, 07:45 PM   #24

If the outlets are in a slide, there is a possibility a Molex Splice Tap came apart as seen in this photo.

Also, check the large ANL or Mega -Amp fuse going to the inverter. It is usually under a rubber boot.Click image for larger version

Name:	20190109_115107.jpeg
Views:	38
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	291347
Toribk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 09:31 PM   #25

Toribk,

All but one of the outlets that lost power are in a slide. We had power to the outlets until my wife fired up the coffee maker with the electric side of the aquahot on (heavy draw), while we're on 30 amp shore power. On the off chance that's the issue, just where about would those molex splices be located?

I have full inverter power to the the breaker panels on both legs. I'm thinking if the mega amp fuse was blown that wouldn't be the case?
Old 06-28-2020, 09:43 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
You could feed power back through the circuit (12 volts) with all power shut off.

That may narrow down to the problem area.

Just a thought. Be sure to TURN OFF ALL POWER!

Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 10:11 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplanned View Post
You could feed power back through the circuit (12 volts) with all power shut off.

That may narrow down to the problem area.

Just a thought. Be sure to TURN OFF ALL POWER!

Happy Glamping.
Are you saying to somehow splice in a 12 volt power supply into the dead 120v circuit?
Old 06-28-2020, 10:40 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toribk View Post
If the outlets are in a slide, there is a possibility a Molex Splice Tap came apart as seen in this photo.

Also, check the large ANL or Mega -Amp fuse going to the inverter. It is usually under a rubber boot.Attachment 291347
Monaco didn't use Molex splices in the slides, at least not on mine.

Tags
power