Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-27-2020, 01:05 PM   #1

Suddenly no 120v power to Kitchen Side Outlets

Hello All,

This morning my wife turned on her coffee maker. It came on but shortly there after she noticed it wasn't on. The only other major electrical draw at the time was the aquahot electical side. We are on 30 amp shore power.
I discovered a bunch of electrical outlets running along the kitchen side now have no power. It's like something tripped.
I checked all breakers/GFI's in the breaker box panels in the bedroom. I flipped and reset them but no change. Including the L1 and L2 inverter breakers.
There is one little breaker reset button on the front of xantrex inverter but it's not tripped.
Are there any other breakers on the inverter that are not easily seen and accessed?
The microwave has power and so do both a/c units and the fridge.
I disconnected shore power and turned on the inverter. No change to those outlets.
What or where else can I check?

irishguy
2003 Monaco Windsor
irishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2020, 01:13 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I don't know if this will help but one time I had a similar problem and someone showed me a flashing light on the "Right" side of my inverter. There is a very small "Reset" button on that right side by the input wires, and when you push it in for a second or two a light will start flashing and hopefully you're back in business. Try that... I hope it works for you!
tomd85208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 01:41 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishguy View Post
Hello All,

This morning my wife turned on her coffee maker. It came on but shortly there after she noticed it wasn't on. The only other major electrical draw at the time was the aquahot electical side. We are on 30 amp shore power.
I discovered a bunch of electrical outlets running along the kitchen side now have no power. It's like something tripped.
I checked all breakers/GFI's in the breaker box panels in the bedroom. I flipped and reset them but no change. Including the L1 and L2 inverter breakers.
There is one little breaker reset button on the front of xantrex inverter but it's not tripped.
Are there any other breakers on the inverter that are not easily seen and accessed?
The microwave has power and so do both a/c units and the fridge.
I disconnected shore power and turned on the inverter. No change to those outlets.
What or where else can I check?

irishguy
2003 Monaco Windsor
My breakers on the inverter are very hard to see. If you don't know they are there, they are easily missed.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 01:42 PM   #4

Check your GFIs again. You may have one in say your bathroom that's part of your 120v outletin the bathroom and it tripped. Or a GFI in another outlet somewhere. In my S&B house, I lost power in some of my outlets... finally had to call an electrician. He quickly found a tripped GFI in the powder room... on the other side of the house! Which caused the kitchen outlets to be dead. He pressed the reset button and then held his hand out for $125! Sheesh!
tommar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 02:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommar View Post
Check your GFIs again. You may have one in say your bathroom that's part of your 120v outletin the bathroom and it tripped. Or a GFI in another outlet somewhere. In my S&B house, I lost power in some of my outlets... finally had to call an electrician. He quickly found a tripped GFI in the powder room... on the other side of the house! Which caused the kitchen outlets to be dead. He pressed the reset button and then held his hand out for $125! Sheesh!

Often it is the bathroom GFI, unless there is one in the Kitchen
coachmanjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 02:32 PM   #6

May also have one in your outside cargo storage.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 03:32 PM   #7

Our windsor doesn't actually have any GFI outlets. Just some breakers in the breaker box with GFI on them.
I've gone through all the outlets on the inside and out but it's just the outlets on the kitchen side of the mh that have no power.

I can't find any other breakers on the inverter other than the one small one that states its part of the charging system.

I've shut down and started up the 120v and 12v to see if that would reset something but no change.

I opened up the transfer switch box. The wiring diagram says there's an led light to indicating normal but I don't see any light on. Would a faulty transfer switch cause my problem?

Could part of the inverter be fried?

Im now on genny power but no change.
Old 06-27-2020, 03:43 PM   #8

Sounds like it’s time to open a receptacle, particularly the dead one closest to the panel.
Old 06-27-2020, 03:58 PM   #9

Tom,

Am I looking for a loose or fried wire?
Old 06-27-2020, 07:22 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
There are 3 pin breakers on the inverter/charger... one for the 110 in and 2 for the 110 out. Sounds like one of the 2 is tripped. You should be able to feel them on the side ...push to reset.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 07:47 PM   #11

If you still have both air conditioners, the AquaHot heating element, and the microwave oven working... it would seem to point to a failure of the circuit breaker or it's GFCI component, or you've got a wiring failure. Not sure if Monaco used the insulation displacement terminated-outlets but I'm betting on it. Tom (KanzKran) suggests the first outlet fed by the circuit breaker and I concur. If you have a volt or multi-meter, or one of the 3 light testers... see if you have power at that one. No? Turn off the main breaker, and remove the outlet. You're looking for melted or deformed plastic, scorch marks / signs of arcing, loose terminations, odour of burning or high temps... if it all looks good and the wires are tight, examine other outlets - the first one might be on a different circuit (been there - trouble shooting stuff that worked).
Old 06-27-2020, 08:33 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivylog View Post
There are 3 pin breakers on the inverter/charger... one for the 110 in and 2 for the 110 out. Sounds like one of the 2 is tripped. You should be able to feel them on the side ...push to reset.
Ivy, I've got a 2000 watt Trace inverter. I've checked that thing over from top to bottom...all I can see is one little push button breaker and it's not tripped.

Do you have a Trace as well?
Old 06-27-2020, 08:36 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo_RV_Guy View Post
If you still have both air conditioners, the AquaHot heating element, and the microwave oven working... it would seem to point to a failure of the circuit breaker or it's GFCI component, or you've got a wiring failure. Not sure if Monaco used the insulation displacement terminated-outlets but I'm betting on it. Tom (KanzKran) suggests the first outlet fed by the circuit breaker and I concur. If you have a volt or multi-meter, or one of the 3 light testers... see if you have power at that one. No? Turn off the main breaker, and remove the outlet. You're looking for melted or deformed plastic, scorch marks / signs of arcing, loose terminations, odour of burning or high temps... if it all looks good and the wires are tight, examine other outlets - the first one might be on a different circuit (been there - trouble shooting stuff that worked).
I've checked the outlets and they are solid as a rock and no indication of damage. Working on wiring at the breaker panels. I have a helpful poster in Texas helping me out through email...hopefully we can figure this out.
Old 06-28-2020, 06:01 AM   #14

I would unplug everything from all outlets served by the breaker that supplies that outlet and try to reset the breaker GFCI. There may be an issue with one appliance, cord etc that will trip that GFCI.
If not time to start tracing to see where you have / dont have power. Should be fairly easy to determine if any output from inverter or not.
Does it work on shore power and gen? Or dead on all?
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power