Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-02-2016, 12:53 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
sun screen shade not working

I have electric shades that can lowered and have a switch for the drivers side and passenger side on the drivers control panel. Also the passenger has a control switch on their panel.
The passengers side panel works just fine. The drivers passenger side control switch works intermittently and the drivers driver side shade will not work. However the drivers side will move about 1 inch up and then it drops back down to normal resting position. It will not lower beyond that.
I have replaced the relays for these shades that are in the driver side bay and that did not solve the problem. Any thoughts on where to look for solution?

Thanks everyone.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2016, 08:11 AM   #2

sun screen shade not working

I suggest looking for loose, frayed, or otherwise inadequate connections on the switch or the motor or somewhere in between them. Or it could be the motor or switch.
Best wishes

Dave and Nola, RV Mutants
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 05:25 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfer Guy View Post
I have electric shades that can lowered and have a switch for the drivers side and passenger side on the drivers control panel. Also the passenger has a control switch on their panel.
The passengers side panel works just fine. The drivers passenger side control switch works intermittently and the drivers driver side shade will not work. However the drivers side will move about 1 inch up and then it drops back down to normal resting position. It will not lower beyond that.
I have replaced the relays for these shades that are in the driver side bay and that did not solve the problem. Any thoughts on where to look for solution?

Thanks everyone.
Watching for your outcome but I'm guessing it's the motor on the shade.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 08:36 PM   #4
YC1

Look closely at the part numbers on the switches and swap them one at a time with the passenger side. I have found these switches can become intermittent,. It is usually easy to take them apart and clean.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 10:47 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
Look closely at the part numbers on the switches and swap them one at a time with the passenger side. I have found these switches can become intermittent,. It is usually easy to take them apart and clean.
Myron, thanks for the tip. I took the switches out and reversed them drivers side to passenger side thinking if it was a bad switch the drivers side would work and not the passenger side. Well no change so the switches must be good. Now I am going to look at the driver side motor.

As a side note when I try to raise and lower the driver side it moves a bit up only but not down. Then try to move passenger side and nothing. Wait five minutes and the passenger side works again. possessed it is.

Thanks for you help.

Steve
Old 07-04-2016, 11:30 AM   #6
YC1

Steve, if you can get to the wires near the motor a voltage measurement there would tell you what is going on. I would run a temporary ground wire for the negative lead of the meter or scratch a shiny place on the metal window column. Then measure each wire that goes to the motor. It could be a bad ground so measuring the voltage on each wire when the switch is toggled on will show that.

For example, if you see plenty of voltage such as 12.5 on one lead and 0 on the other while the switch is activated then things are good to the motor. If you see 12.5 on one lead and any voltage on the other lead then the ground is malfunctioning and you can use the shiny clean place to run a temporary ground for testing.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scr