Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2008, 08:30 AM   #1

While I was on the road traveling several months ago, the passenger's front windshield sun screen material fell out of the motorized holder. I called Monaco Tech support and was told that the motorized sun screen was unrepairable because the motor design would not allow the screen material to be rewound. The parts department said the same thing and while I was choking on the replacement price, I ordered the part. I then installed it and kept the old part to look at later.

When I finally got around to looking at the sunscreen, I was surprised to see how easy the repair was. Just two screws on the side of the unit need to be removed to reach the motor and roller. I then super glued the sunscreen material to the roller, removed the motor from the tube (it just slides out), re-rolled the screen material, reinserted the motor, and put the two plate screws back in. The only tricky part is to ensure the motor is cycled one complete movement. I contacted MCC Tech via email and explained how easy the repair was. MCC Tech responded by saying they would pass along the info. I now have an expensive replacement sunscreen. My bust though because I should have looked at the part closer before ordering it. My only excuse is that the MCC Tech guys are almost always right.

2009 Saturn VUE XE FWD
Phrog Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2008, 08:30 AM   #2

While I was on the road traveling several months ago, the passenger's front windshield sun screen material fell out of the motorized holder. I called Monaco Tech support and was told that the motorized sun screen was unrepairable because the motor design would not allow the screen material to be rewound. The parts department said the same thing and while I was choking on the replacement price, I ordered the part. I then installed it and kept the old part to look at later.

When I finally got around to looking at the sunscreen, I was surprised to see how easy the repair was. Just two screws on the side of the unit need to be removed to reach the motor and roller. I then super glued the sunscreen material to the roller, removed the motor from the tube (it just slides out), re-rolled the screen material, reinserted the motor, and put the two plate screws back in. The only tricky part is to ensure the motor is cycled one complete movement. I contacted MCC Tech via email and explained how easy the repair was. MCC Tech responded by saying they would pass along the info. I now have an expensive replacement sunscreen. My bust though because I should have looked at the part closer before ordering it. My only excuse is that the MCC Tech guys are almost always right.

2009 Saturn VUE XE FWD
Old 05-16-2008, 05:50 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Good job! And having a spare is always useful. I found a sunscreen in a dumpster at an rv-dealer a year or so ago. Asked the shop-manager if I could have it to see how it worked, and he looked at me like I was nuts. He then showed me a batch of other 'defective' parts I could have if I wanted them (anyone want a transfer-switch that smells like an old moldy burned-sock?). I finally gave up trying to fix the screen when the scissor-arms took out a big chunk of my flesh when retracting.

Unfortunately, that seems to be a common answer these days - just trash it and get a new one. On the other hand it might be more cost-effective repair-wise to do it that way. I don't know how much a new screen costs, but I do know I must have put in 3-4 hours messing with it (plus a couple beers ) and at $100/hour or so current shop-rate, a new screen might be seen as a bargain.

'06 HR Endeavor 40PAQ (Mission Hills decor). All options, but still finding more to add.
ronboc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 08:37 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Phrog Driver....See if they'll let you return it. I think ronboc is right about the amount of labor cost vs replacement cost. I also think that people get upset if they pay for something to be fixed and it breaks again. You take that risk with repairing something like the shade.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 06:15 AM   #5

Diplomat Don

They offered to let me return the parts department screen but not the old original screen. Since I had to put new wire connectors on the new screen, and it was up and working, I decided to keep the repaired screen.

The MCC Tech that answered my e-mails offered to give me a discount on my next parts order. I really wasn't trying to get my money back. I just wanted pass along how easy the repair was.

2009 Saturn VUE XE FWD
Old 05-17-2008, 06:27 AM   #6

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ronboc:
"I finally gave up trying to fix the screen when the scissor-arms took out a big chunk of my flesh when retracting."

The scissor-arms can be removed to make the job easier. The scissor is attached by two nuts on both top ends of the scissor. Removing the first nut allows you to remove the scissor arm. The nut behind that is a sliding nut that allows you to adjust the screen so it rolls up and down evenly.

Another Ron

2009 Saturn VUE XE FWD