Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-07-2013, 10:40 AM   #1

Surge Protectors

I have seen ads for a 50a surge protector to use between shore power and my coach. Is that really needed?

Does anyone know how I can get a wiring diagram for an 08 Knight SKQ?

Thanks
Russ
russ2528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2013, 12:50 PM   #2
JFC

Monaco Owners Club
I have the Pregressive Industries hard wired 50A protector. There have been several times when it's shut down power due to a problem.

I have a 2007 Scepter. I contected Monaco technical on line and asked about a wiring diagram. They sent me a disc with wiring diagram at no charge.
Old 03-07-2013, 01:11 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by russ2528 View Post
I have seen ads for a 50a surge protector to use between shore power and my coach. Is that really needed?
Not if you wish to upgrade all the electronics,including Converter/charger, Inverter, microwave, etc. Otherwise $300-400 is cheap insurance in protecting your coach. Campgrounds are usually at the end of the power grid and often have questionable wiring, so surges, mis-wired pedestals, etc.

I have a Progressive 50 amp EMS and it serves as a sleep aide when I think of the computers and other systems it helps protect.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:40 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post

Not if you wish to upgrade all the electronics,including Converter/charger, Inverter, microwave, etc. Otherwise $300-400 is cheap insurance in protecting your coach. Campgrounds are usually at the end of the power grid and often have questionable wiring, so surges, mis-wired pedestals, etc.

I have a Progressive 50 amp EMS and it serves as a sleep aide when I think of the computers and other systems it helps protect.
Ditto

Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 03:27 PM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I too recommend the Progressive Industries HW50C (if you want the hard-wired version). Great product and great service! It's the best insurance you'll ever buy!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 03:58 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
A few hundred $$$ for the surge protector vs a few thousand to replace the electronics on board, TV, Microwave, controller boards for the frig and furnace, surround sound system, etc. All it takes is one hit and you pay for the device several times over.

Get one that also protects for high and low voltage, open ground, open neutral and proper polarity. Some only protect on surge voltage.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 05:45 AM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Here's the one I use. It's about $20 cheaper on Amazon. There are other models that offer more features but this one covers the important basics.

Progressive Industries 50 amp Portable Power Protector

FWIW
Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, Sold - Retired From RV'ing, Linux Mint
CoCoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 06:43 AM   #8
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindsorDave View Post
Here's the one I use. It's about $20 cheaper on Amazon. There are other models that offer more features but this one covers the important basics.

FWIW
I have one of those that I got before I bought the EMS that I now use to check the CG outlet and the PI EMS to protect the coach from high and low voltage as well as surges.
Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:59 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
We installed our surge protector three years ago. We have traveled across the northern US to Alaska and back to NY and down the east coast to Georgia. There have been two occasions when the Surge Guard RV Power Monitor 50 amp would not connect autocratically to the power outlet. Once in Ohio; a KOA that fixed the open ground when I told them the problem. Once in Sitka, AK, again an open ground in a small private park. I used the adjacent pedestal. During this time we have stayed in approx. 200 RV parks. This would mean that we have seen 1% of the parks with and electrical problem. You should provide protection for your expensive electrical components in your MH. I strongly recommend a surge protector. Our blog is RVGR8escape
RV735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:11 AM   #10

We use the same Progressive Industries Surge Protector as WindsorDave uses, and would not be without a surge protector. Several years ago we were at a rally where Lightning struck a power pole in a campground. All the RVs without surge protection sustained electrical damage, some much worse than others. Those with Surge protectors only sustained damage to their surge protectors. IMHO it's very cheap insurance.

2003 Fleetwood Expedition 38N 2005 Saturn Vue
jlfbatonrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:23 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
I went with the plug in model as opposed to the hard wired model in the event the power would damage the surge protector, another could be purchased while the damaged one is repaired and easier to switch out. jmo
chuckinthebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:35 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindsorDave View Post

FWIW
I never leave home without it!!! Has saved my butt a few times.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:54 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Sometimes an after market surge protector can even protect you from yourself. Recently when I was setting up at an RV Park I was distracted and didn't realize that the previous occupant had left the pedestal breaker in the ON position, and when I plugged in I fried the Aladdin ATS Interface Module. Considering Aladdin components are no longer manufactured, this was rather bothersome. Luckily I was a able to obtain a replacement from an RV dismantler, but lesson learned, I also installed a hardwired Progressive Industries 50 amp EMS. I feel I got off cheap.
Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:21 AM   #14

There is another discussion on this Forum regarding the Progressive 50amp. I do not see any discussion of the reality that significant damage can also be caused by a faulty generator. That is why I had my Progressive installed on the output side of the transfer switch. It now covers both shore power and generator problems.

As far as replacement being easier for the portable surge protector, the Progressive hard wired model has the capability to easily replace a board without uninstalling the device. The other hard wired models available do not seem to have this feature.
wigginsjsr is offline   Reply With Quote