Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2021, 05:25 PM   #1

Surging Onan 10KW gen

Now that I have seemed to have fixed my alternator problems, my generator is surging. I can watch the hertz come down to as low as 53 and can readily hear it. When I got a chance I replaced the fuel filter and thought for a day that it had solved the surging, but it turns out it still surges, and even sounds like it might quit. I have followed several posts on here about changing out the speed control actuator or governor actuator whichever it is called. I followed Zmotorsports excellent writeup with pictures, but it turns out my model of gen 10HDKCA110506B takes a different part number, 333-0707 which is available from Cummins for over $600. Everyone was so helpful with my alternator travails, I would welcome any comments, ideas, etc on this new problem. TIA.
Bill767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2021, 05:33 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Been down that road...fuel pump.
Airtex E 11020...ebay/Amazon about 1/3 price of Onan.
Twomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 07:38 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
BTH my 10k is constant rpm no up and down. So no speed control. Look at the specs online everything under 10k is variable but 10k and above is constant because it will supply true 240v service.
Old 08-06-2021, 12:57 PM   #4

Yes my Onan is constant speed as well, but when it surged it would slow down to bring the hertz down as low as 53, then back up. I realize it is designed for constant speed, but it is surging. Update, we took the governor actuator out, not too difficult once we realized you just had to take not only the top cover off, but the back and driver side as well. I pulled it out and according to the Onan manual I have the test is 3 parts. Resistance of 2-4 ohms, it was 2.8; Smooth movement of the plunger while moving it by hand, it seemed smooth; and a smooth movement of the plunger when 12 volts are applied, it was somewhat quick, but smooth. So it checked out. I cleaned up the connections and applied a little dielectric grease, put it all back together, and could only run it for about 20 minutes under load as we are in a campground, and it did not surge. we have our fingers crossed, but until we can run it for some time we won't know if it is okay or whether something else was causing the surge. It is going to be 2 weeks until we move again, so time will tell.
Old 08-06-2021, 04:15 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill767 View Post
Yes my Onan is constant speed as well, but when it surged it would slow down to bring the hertz down as low as 53, then back up. I realize it is designed for constant speed, but it is surging. Update, we took the governor actuator out, not too difficult once we realized you just had to take not only the top cover off, but the back and driver side as well. I pulled it out and according to the Onan manual I have the test is 3 parts. Resistance of 2-4 ohms, it was 2.8; Smooth movement of the plunger while moving it by hand, it seemed smooth; and a smooth movement of the plunger when 12 volts are applied, it was somewhat quick, but smooth. So it checked out. I cleaned up the connections and applied a little dielectric grease, put it all back together, and could only run it for about 20 minutes under load as we are in a campground, and it did not surge. we have our fingers crossed, but until we can run it for some time we won't know if it is okay or whether something else was causing the surge. It is going to be 2 weeks until we move again, so time will tell.
Can you give me a better idea where the governor is located? My is surging too. I just replaced the fuel and air filter today, but still surging. Your genset may be like mine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	00B9F405-31CA-49DC-A5FC-3C1270DA97F9.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	428.5 KB
ID:	338606   Click image for larger version

Name:	4853390D-0085-47C3-B565-38B247B8824D.jpg
Size:	374.7 KB
ID:	338607  

Name:	3E753F96-EFA3-4B53-AE6F-E7BC430177E9.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	361.4 KB
ID:	338608  
Old 08-07-2021, 07:08 AM   #6

Paul, The actuator is at the very rear on the driver's side of the gen near the top thankfully. You have to take off the top cover, and the rear and driver side panel, it is all one.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0784.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	261.1 KB
ID:	338669  
Old 08-07-2021, 07:51 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks Bill. Got it. I’ll check and clean it up too. Hopefully that works.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AF2B1E89-47D0-4CDD-BC16-483D05836997.jpg
Size:	128.3 KB
ID:	338670  
Old 08-09-2021, 02:03 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill767 View Post
Paul, The actuator is at the very rear on the driver's side of the gen near the top thankfully. You have to take off the top cover, and the rear and driver side panel, it is all one.
I removed the actuator earlier today. I didn’t have to remove the rear and driver’s side panel. If you remove the three bolts on the driver’s side that hold the inside panel that encircles the fan, you can push it back far enough to pull the governor out.

The plunger on mine too moved smoothly by hand. It was quick but smooth when 12v was applied. The resistance registered 3.3. I cleaned the connections and applied a little dielectric grease. Reinstalled it and ran it for two hours. The first 30 minutes there was no load. Then I turned on all three AC units. It ran smoothly.

Somehow I don’t think this is going to last. I really didn’t do much. Time will tell.
Old 08-10-2021, 06:53 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by pduggs View Post

Somehow I don’t think this is going to last. I really didn’t do much. Time will tell.
My sentiments exactly. If it starts surging again, I will replace the solenoid, and maybe the brushes, etc. All of it seems pretty straightforward and is sure a lot cheaper than spending a day or so having Onan(Cummins) work on it. Good luck to both of us!
Old 08-10-2021, 08:43 AM   #10

I've been using an on-board gen set for years and periodically had a surging problem that soon resolved by itself. Time of the year was not a big consideration when surging started although early season seemed worst. I thought stale fuel might have been be the problem even though I used Stabil every fall when parking for the winter season, but just recently I started a V-10 which sat for 21 months. Stabil gets a thumbs-up from me.
A couple of years ago I started using Hot Shots RV Gas Additive with every fill-up and have not experienced surging or a problem with starting.
Rick
Gold Pot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 11:59 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
I removed the actuator earlier today. I didn’t have to remove the rear and driver’s side panel. If you remove the three bolts on the driver’s side that hold the inside panel that encircles the fan, you can push it back far enough to pull the governor out.

The plunger on mine too moved smoothly by hand. It was quick but smooth when 12v was applied. The resistance registered 3.3. I cleaned the connections and applied a little dielectric grease. Reinstalled it and ran it for two hours. The first 30 minutes there was no load. Then I turned on all three AC units. It ran smoothly.

Mine lasted the latter part of a season when it first started acting up. It was mid-way through the travel season and after returning home from a trip I did the exact same thing by removing, inspecting, cleaning and reinstalling. Worked for the last few trips and then within the first trip or two the following season it acted up again and I threw a new actuator in it. Problem solved and it's been running great since.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 02:29 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmotorsports View Post
Mine lasted the latter part of a season when it first started acting up. It was mid-way through the travel season and after returning home from a trip I did the exact same thing by removing, inspecting, cleaning and reinstalling. Worked for the last few trips and then within the first trip or two the following season it acted up again and I threw a new actuator in it. Problem solved and it's been running great since.
I suspect you’ll be right Mike. I ran mine today for about 2.5 hours with three ACs running, and it ran smoothly. However I think it’s just a matter of time that it will surge again.

Mike, where did you buy the actuator?
Old 08-11-2021, 06:20 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
I suspect you’ll be right Mike. I ran mine today for about 2.5 hours with three ACs running, and it ran smoothly. However I think it’s just a matter of time that it will surge again.

Mike, where did you buy the actuator?
I purchased mine from my local Rocky Mountain Cummins/Onan dealer in Salt Lake City, UT. If memory serves they had to bring it in from Denver but was only a day or two out.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 06:45 AM   #14

Paul, our actuators are a different part number than Mike's gen uses. The only place I could find it was directly from Cummins at $600! Ours is part number 333-0707. I will be in Eugene later this month and will stop in at Cummins and see if they have one in stock. I agree we are on borrowed time.

Tags
onan