Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2013, 10:47 AM   #1
LnG

Winnebago Owners Club
Swap out old TV's

I think I have looked at all the posts regarding removal & replacement of the old style TV's to a flat screen. All posts have been for front mounted TV's Our coach is a 2003 37" LaPalma & my TV is located in a entertainment center just behind the passenger seat. There is also a old VHS player with 2 boxes I'll call splitter boxes for lack of better discription. With the TV, VCR & 2 splitter boxes there is a rats nest of wires. And I thought all I would have to do is unplug the VCR & TV & plug in the new, boy was I wrong. I'm thinkin (might be my mistake) that with the new TV & BluRay player I should be able to get rid of the splitter boxes. Anyone else have this floor plan with the splitter boxes & have you changed them out???
LnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2013, 11:31 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
i would leave the splitter boxes and hock up the boxes to the tv and use the tv remote to change to the br player
Old 09-27-2013, 10:18 AM   #3

I dont have your system but am in the middle of a TV replacement project on a front system. However, your new flat panel TVs are going to have multiple HDMI inputs and you certainly want to use those with HDMI cables. If you are installing a blueray player then you certainly want to go from the BlueRay HDMI out directly to the TV with an HDMI cable. I NEVER watch TV from the bed, so I did away with connections to the splitter and largely am ignoring all of that switching. I have a satellite system so from the sat antenna to the DishNetwork box with coax, then from the DishNetwork box to the TV with HDMI direct to HDMI input #1, and my BlueRay player from HDMI out to HDMI #2 input on my TV. Simple and I have everything that I need. Hope that gives you some ideas. I think your assumptions are fundamentally correct unless you want to also run all of that back to the bedroom TV if you have one.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 10:39 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the forum.

I think the challenge you'll face is due to technology change since your (and my) coach was built. Prior to 2007/2008 most came pre wired with coax. Today's HD technology really wants to have HDMI cables.

I replaced all three TVs in my rig and wired them all to be fed from the DirecTv HD DVR. I left the switch box and coax in place to distribute OTA and cable signals but the HDMI for the sat feed bypasses the switch box.

BTW, are you planning to have satellite service?

Good luck.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 06:20 AM   #5
LnG

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanx to all who answered. Once I got all the wires out it wasn't near the job it looked like! I now have a 36" in the front room & a 19" in bedroom. The new light weight TV's make the install easy. The old 27" RCA in the living room took up a large cabinet & weighed a ton. Now the flat screen sits on the table & only takes up 4 ". The old 12" in the bedroom also used a cabinet, now the 19" hangs on the wall. I made new doors & my other half has 2 more places to stash things!
Thanx again
Len n Gretchen
Anyone hanging around St. Louis, drop us a note.
LnG is offline   Reply With Quote