Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2020, 03:10 PM   #1

Sway bar/ Panhard bar?

just got a 1999 monaco windsor 36 pb with 72500 miles, 1st owner had it until 3 years ago, 2nd owner put about 5k miles on it. Both owners keep it inside so it sees to be in good shape. I hear a clunck when I take a turn and the weight shifts and I was told the bushings on the Panhard bar?/sway bar bearings need to be replaced. Im having a hard time finding the bushing and the size of the bolts. Bolts look to be 1" dia. x 5 " long. Ive contacted REV the owners of Monaco and they werent sure which bushings fit . I believe the HR Endevor was built on the same RR8S Roadmaster chassis, does anyone have the info I need. Thanks
Robd56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2020, 04:15 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Welcome to the forum.

At the top right of the home page, there's a search button you can type in "panhard". Lots of reading.

There are a couple threads you can read about (fairly long), but very informative on panhard bars and sway bars in general. The second thread is about the steering box.
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/mon...on-249622.html

BTW, I think you have a semi-monacoque chassis, not the RR8S. I believe the RR8S chassis started on the 2003 windsor (someone correct me, please) model year.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 07:25 PM   #3

I thought the difference between rr8r or s was radiator location. Does anyone know the difference between frames.Thanks for the tips
Old 08-03-2020, 08:30 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robd56 View Post
I thought the difference between rr8r or s was radiator location. Does anyone know the difference between frames.Thanks for the tips
That is correct, but the S series (semi monacoque) goes a little further.

I had kept this post reply from Steve Ownby from a few years ago and modified it a little.

1. S Series semi monocoque. The main side walls and the floor and ceiling assemblies were steel and welded to the chassis structure. It's very strong and stiff. It utilizes 8 or 10 (tags) outboard mounted airbags. Early Windsors were on this list. They swapped the Windsors over about 2003 +/-.

2. RR8S and RR10S. These chassis have 8 or 10 airbags/shocks, mounted in a far outboard position. The 8 is for non tag axle coaches and are side radiator designs. These chassis have a more conventional construction using aluminum framing in the house portion.

3. RR8R and RR10R. These are the same as #2 but with a rear radiator design.
Old 08-03-2020, 10:37 PM   #5

Thanks for the info. So if I got it right mine is a s series monacoque. RR8S. Side mounted radiator. Thanks again
Old 08-04-2020, 09:29 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks for the info. So if I got it right mine is a s series monacoque. RR8S. Side mounted radiator. Thanks again
Nope. You have a S series chassis.. Not the same as a RR8S.
Old 08-04-2020, 10:04 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Attached below is a chart that lists the various Roadmaster chassis models.
Also, for suspension help I would contact Source Engineering. The owners used to work at the Monaco factory and are a wealth of knowledge.
Source Engineering Inc | Custom RV Chassis | Eugene, OR

Hope this helps.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Roadmaster Chassis models.pdf (322.7 KB, 23 views)
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 11:54 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post
Attached below is a chart that lists the various Roadmaster chassis models.
Also, for suspension help I would contact Source Engineering. The owners used to work at the Monaco factory and are a wealth of knowledge.
Source Engineering Inc | Custom RV Chassis | Eugene, OR

Hope this helps.
Interesting that chart doesn't have the RR8S listed.
Old 08-04-2020, 01:07 PM   #9

Quote:
just got a 1999 monaco windsor 36 pb with 72500 miles, 1st owner had it until 3 years ago, 2nd owner put about 5k miles on it. Both owners keep it inside so it sees to be in good shape. I hear a clunck when I take a turn and the weight shifts and I was told the bushings on the Panhard bar?/sway bar bearings need to be replaced. Im having a hard time finding the bushing and the size of the bolts. Bolts look to be 1" dia. x 5 " long. Ive contacted REV the owners of Monaco and they werent sure which bushings fit . I believe the HR Endevor was built on the same RR8S Roadmaster chassis, does anyone have the info I need. Thanks
Bolts are 7/8 dia with self-locking hex nuts. 1-5/16 hex size.

Your bushings are probably the one-piece design with heavy steel core, not the two-piece double top-hat design. If you have the one-piece design, you should be able to remove all your bolts and re-use them. If you have the two-piece solid polyurethane bushings you may have to saw some bolts to get the bushings out. If you have the two-piece design, it's best to replace ALL the bushings--(20) pcs for a single rear axle coach.

Replacing the one-piece design bushings is not a terrible job. Replacing all of the two-piece ones is a real bugger. I've done this job on two coaches, and would sent it to a truck shop next time! If you plan to do this yourself, I can offer you some advice to make the job easier.

You need the ATRO brand MO 10000 bushing. www.atrobushing.com They do not sell direct to consumers. You will have to order from a truck parts supplier. The bushings are a considerable upgrade from the OEM bushing. $35 - $40 each.
Vanwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 05:13 AM   #10

Thanks for all this info, much appreciated. I will have to look for 2 more airbags.
Old 09-21-2020, 06:16 AM   #11

I can only find 8 airbags on my 1999 Windsor ,I know the 1st owner's got it in November of 1998 but still not sure on what chassis, S or rr8s. I know I have 2 panhard bars, 1 front and one rear, had the rear bar bushings replaced and made a huge difference in handling. Just came back from 8000 mile trip and seems like the bars in the rear that go from the rear wheels back need to be replaced now due to my rear axle isn't aligned straight. Is it the same bushing in all bars? I read 20 bushings in all somewhere but I only see 12. Any help or knowledge is appreciated.
Old 09-21-2020, 07:41 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
I can only find 8 airbags on my 1999 Windsor ,I know the 1st owner's got it in November of 1998 but still not sure on what chassis, S or rr8s. I know I have 2 panhard bars, 1 front and one rear, had the rear bar bushings replaced and made a huge difference in handling. Just came back from 8000 mile trip and seems like the bars in the rear that go from the rear wheels back need to be replaced now due to my rear axle isn't aligned straight. Is it the same bushing in all bars? I read 20 bushings in all somewhere but I only see 12. Any help or knowledge is appreciated.
Your 98 Windsor has the Semi Monocoque chassis with 8 airbags. It's not the RR8s. You need to re-read Bill's description of the differences between Monaco's rail and SemiMonocoque chassis in an earlier post#4.

Welcome to the forum. Van and Bill are knowledgeable and you will find their advice very helpful.
Old 09-21-2020, 05:08 PM   #13

Monaco bushing replacement

You said you could give me advice on replacing the bushings. Just got back from 8000 mile trip and looks like the bars going from the rear wheels to the rear of the coach need replacing cause I can see my rear axle not aligned, drivers side close to the front of the wheel well and passenger side to tha back. I had the rear panhard bar done before I left, they couldn't loosen the bolts so cut them, 1 piece bushings were completely gone. I was thinking put the rear on the levelers and try to remove the bolts, figure I need to pull the axle in line also, any information will be great from someone who has been there. Thanks
Old 09-21-2020, 07:07 PM   #14

Thanks for your reply, I agree 100% about both their knowledge, Ive got great information from them both of them ,I believe you both on my chassis, and hoping for more help on replacing the rest of the bushings. I am checking a local distributor for the Atro brand bushing. Van had said he has done the job and I was hoping he could help me further. Do I need to oil and heat the bolts to come off, or do I need air tools? Will it be ok to use the levelers or does anything else need to be supported? How to align the mounting holes, comealong? I know I might be asking alot but if I can do the labor the I can use the upgraded bushings. Thank you all I learned from every reply and hope to learn more. Thanks again Rob

Tags
sway bar