Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2018, 12:09 PM   #1

Switch Function House Battery Bay

Veterans of the 1993-1996 Spartan 38' chassis, Holiday Rambler Navigator/Endeavor (I believe the two are similar), your ears and brainy bits, please.

Right rear bay behind right rear wheels...from front to back, house batteries slide-out tray, presumably 110v fuse and relay panel, and house AC condensers and fans. Right in front of the fuse/relay panel is a large, spring-loaded high-voltage-type switch. The mechanic who built my new battery cables said it was a shutoff for the house batteries. When I ran my generator for the first time, with the switch 'on', there was no AC input indicated on the Heart Interface panel. When I turned the switch 'off' and fired up the generator, AC input WAS indicated, and AC appliances and outlets worked.

Question: is that a switchover from shore power to generator power, or is it indeed an 'on/off' switch for the house batteries? Also, does this era motorhome come with an auto switchover system or not? 'Cause if it DOES, then something's up in Denmark.

Any info regarding would be awesome. Thanks in advance.
ArgoPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2018, 06:15 AM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
ArgoPilot,

I also have a '94 Navigator - I love mine too! I see you have found the "Are you a 93-96 Navigator owner?" thread. Better place for these type of questions.

On my rig the switch is indeed a house battery disconnect. Whenever I walk away from my rig in the storage lot I turn it off (along with the chassis battery disconnect switch in the front L/H bay).

You said...

"I turned the switch 'off' and fired up the generator, AC input WAS indicated, and AC appliances and outlets worked."

Sounds like normal operation to me. Battery banks are 12Vdc. Genset output is 120Vac. With the disconnect switch in the 'off' position you are not sending 12Vdc from the house batteries to the converter/inverter, but the output from the Genset is powering up all ac systems. Note that with the Genset running or when plugged into shore power and the disconnect switch is in the 'off' position, the converter/inverter is not able to re-charge the house batteries.

There is some sort of isolator that disconnects the chassis batteries from the house batteries when not plugged in or running the Genset so the chassis batteries are not drawn down while boondocking. I don't think it is a "bird" per se (https://www.intellitec.com/index.php...rging/The_BIRD), but it does keep the two battery banks isolated.

On my rig the Genset has a belt driven 12Vdc alternator which charges the chassis batteries. And I think the converter/inverter will charge both banks when plugged into shore power.

There is also a momentary 'boost' switch on the dash that will connect the house battery bank to the chassis bank if the chassis batteries go dead while parked. The dash switch controls a big solenoid (perhaps 2) inside the 12 volt panel located in the right rear bay with the house batteries. Those solenoids are known to fail on occasion. Should be able to hear them click/check out with a multimeter when a helper presses the boost switch.

Hope this helps,
jumpjg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 01:52 PM   #3

Wait...you have the same genset that I do, right? Onan Quiet Diesel 10k with a 1500cc 3cyl Kubota engine? And it DOESN'T charge your house batteries via the inverter/converter? 'Cause as far as I can tell, mine DOES. Eh...one way or the other, at least the old genset fires up the IMPORTANT things!

Thankfully, I haven't had to use that 'aux start' switch yet. YET.

By the way, howdy! Nice to hear from you again!
ArgoPilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, switch