Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2020, 05:03 PM   #71

LED Strips

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
I converted my lights to LED about 7 years ago. I completely removed each fixture, stripped and cleaned. Where I was going to attach the LED strips I cleaned with acetone to remove any residual dirt etc.

I actually put 3 LED strips and added a 2nd switch so I can have 1, 2, 3 or NO lights working, provides a lot of flexibility to control the amount of light. I used the pigtails that you can buy. I believe I spent ~$80 to do all but 1 of my lights.

Haven't had a problem with any of the adhesive coming loose.
My experience as well. Done about three years ago.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2020, 06:35 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal27 View Post
Can I assume red to red and white to white? Just got them and trying to install.
Yes.
rodekyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 01:24 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodekyll View Post
Yes.

Finally able to complete installation. WAY COOL. Thanks, easiest thing I have ever done. Only went with one tube. I like the light color and wanted to replace all, wife told me to slow down. For roughly $10 a light, what a bargain.
Old 01-18-2020, 02:12 AM   #74

Used 3M double sided tape for LED strips

We changed every fluorescent tube in our 2004 Monaco with a strip of LED lights. Instead of putting them exactly where the tubes had been, we put them on the inside of the outer wall of the fixture. That way, the 2 strips face each other. Since they're perpendicular to the ceiling, they look almost like indirect lighting. However, within an hour of attaching the sticky-backed LED strips to the well-cleaned fixtures, the strips started coming loose. We got some 3M double sided tape, attached it to each strip, and put them back on the light fixtures in the same place as before. They haven't come off at all. The 3M tape is the same width as the LED strips. We bought the LED lights, the wired ends, and the tape online.
TravelFools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 04:34 AM   #75

Monaco Owners Club
TravelFools -

I had the same issue with the strips (and consequently the fixture) getting hot enough to cause the sticky-back to soften and cause the strip to droop from the fixture, so I tried it again with double-sided tape instead. Now, because the strips themselves were thermally insulated from the light fixture, they got even hotter.

Have you found this to be true?
Old 01-18-2020, 07:15 PM   #76

We tried at first to use double-sided carpet tape, but it didn't work. We went back online and bought "HitLights (company name) Heavy Duty Foam Mounting Tape 0.4" wide--Strong adhesive waterproof clear movable mounting tape for LED strip lights". We bought a 100' roll because we thought 50' might not be enough.
TravelFools is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led