Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-21-2019, 05:10 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Switching-out Fluorescent Bulbs for LED strips

I know the bulb-swap has been discussed on here many-a-time, but what about how to stick the LED strips to the old fixture?

I replaced the bulbs in the living room and bathroom with LEDs and, proud of my work, left them on for several hours while doing other things. When I checked back, the strips had gotten so hot they'd pulled loose from the 2-sided tape I'd used to stick them up with. The actual fixtures were hot as well.

How do y'all electrically and thermally insulate them?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2019, 06:18 AM   #2

That is something I worry about. I read somewhere that LEDs generate a lot of heat. Is that something we need to worry about?
CWP3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 06:42 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Definitely a lot less heat than incandescent or even fluorescent, but it surprised me how much the LEDs actually did generate.
Old 12-21-2019, 06:45 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyTools View Post
I know the bulb-swap has been discussed on here many-a-time, but what about how to stick the LED strips to the old fixture?

I replaced the bulbs in the living room and bathroom with LEDs and, proud of my work, left them on for several hours while doing other things. When I checked back, the strips had gotten so hot they'd pulled loose from the 2-sided tape I'd used to stick them up with. The actual fixtures were hot as well.

How do y'all electrically and thermally insulate them?
I did two fixtures with the LED strips and decided I preferred to replace the tubes with LED tubes and strip out the ballast. All the fixtures in our coach are converted to LED and only two are using the strips. Just me. Here is were we get the tubes and they seem to last forever.
https://squareup.com/market/ledrvlighting

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 06:54 AM   #5

Me being not the brightest bulb on the tree, discovered way back when we first bought our coach, that double sided tape does NOT like heat.
So when I converted our overhead lights to LED strip lighting I used dabs of SHOE GOO every six inches.
Must have worked. The light strips are still up tight to the fixtures, right where I initially stuck them.
I even do pictures on the walls of the coach. Anything that goes on with double sided tape gets "Shoe Goo"ed.
Shoe Goo is available in the shoe department at Walmart. Bright red tube in a blister pack hanging on a hook and about $5 or $6.
NITEHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 07:09 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NITEHAWK View Post
Me being not the brightest bulb on the tree, discovered way back when we first bought our coach, that double sided tape does NOT like heat.
So when I converted our overhead lights to LED strip lighting I used dabs of SHOE GOO every six inches.
Must have worked. The light strips are still up tight to the fixtures, right where I initially stuck them.
I even do pictures on the walls of the coach. Anything that goes on with double sided tape gets "Shoe Goo"ed.
Shoe Goo is available in the shoe department at Walmart. Bright red tube in a blister pack hanging on a hook and about $5 or $6.
Interesting.... How hard is it to remove if you want to make changes? I know that they have “goo gone” but doesn’t that leave a stain?
CWP3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 07:20 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I also removed the ballasts and the bulbs and replaced with the cut to length strips. Bought a roll of the LEDs and a package of the pigtail ends. When I installed two strips in each fixture I used a dab of silicone every few inches to be sure they stayed in place. Cost per fixture to convert was about $3 total.

M&M Electronics told me that as the ballasts age they can cause noise which can create gremlins in the Intellitec system. In my case my fantastic fans would turn on and off regularly. They have behaved themselves since removing the ballasts
Chargerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 07:28 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Interesting ideas, thanks. Does dabbing the glue stuff every few inches help with heat dissipation, since they're mostly in air now?

When my strips were stuck to the fixture, even the fixture got hot, so I'm wondering how to minimize that.
Old 12-21-2019, 07:57 AM   #9
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
I bought direct replacement led bulbs from Walmart for my 18" fixtures. Made by Great Value they were only $6.88 each and work great. No rewiring just stick them in and turn them on. My goal was increased brightness and instant on. I wasn't concerned about energy usage but they do use less than the fluorescent bulbs they replaced and more than if you disconnected the ballast for strip lighting.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 08:25 AM   #10

I'm hoping they come out with glass tube in 12v led replacements. But I won't hold my breath.
We just got several boxes at work 48" T8 replacements for about 3 bucks a bulb. These are so much better than the plastic for overhead fixtures ,especially in the newer style open bulb 3 lamp fixture .You can barely tell the difference as the light is still nearly 360 and bounces off all the reflectors the same way as fluorescent bulbs .We can still feed into our bulb eater when they finally fail.
Many times use 3M 77 spray glue with a brush over glue tapes or to base materials at work . It works in extreme temp swing conditions and in cold conditions when just adhesive strips won't hold . Not going to help original tape bond to led strip unless it has already failed and your repairing it.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 08:54 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I converted my lights to LED about 7 years ago. I completely removed each fixture, stripped and cleaned. Where I was going to attach the LED strips I cleaned with acetone to remove any residual dirt etc.

I actually put 3 LED strips and added a 2nd switch so I can have 1, 2, 3 or NO lights working, provides a lot of flexibility to control the amount of light. I used the pigtails that you can buy. I believe I spent ~$80 to do all but 1 of my lights.

Haven't had a problem with any of the adhesive coming loose.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 09:24 AM   #12
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I too cleaned the metal with Acetone before sticking the strips. I have not had a single strip come loose!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 09:41 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I cleaned with acetone as well, but my problem wasn't so much that the tape/strip didn't stick to the fixture but that the heat softened the tape and the tape/strip pulled loose from the fixture.

What LEDs did y'all use?
Old 12-21-2019, 11:17 AM   #14

Sme of the tubes to replace a fluorescent are no more energy efficient than a fluorescent bulb, The 4 ft. LED tubes at Walmart are not energy efficient.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led