Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-24-2017, 06:06 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
system heat

good morning.............question: our 07 knight has this feature that is called "system heat", with a switch that is located on monitoring panel in coach. it is supposed to have a small heater in the water bay, that you use in cold weather. the owner manual shows the heater, which to me looks like a "milkhouse" style heater. when i open the bay door, i don't see anything that resembles this. the question is, is the heater BEHIND the white plastic panel in the back of the bay? or is it something i should actually SEE?..............someone told me it was behind the panel. we have never used this function, as when it gets cold, i winterize until i get to a warmer climate. AND, if this unit is behind the panel, is there anyway to tell that it is working?..........thanks in advance
jsmmonaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2017, 06:30 AM   #2

Mine is behind the white panel as you mentioned. The only way I know that is because when it was on, and I stuck my hand back there, I could feel the air being blown. Mine wasn't blowing warm air, so I don't trust it. I bought a small heater and plugged it in for that bay. I brought this up some time back . I'd still like to get the bay heater working properly sometime. I will be watching this post. It's in a bad spot to see it. I'm going to get my mirror and take a look behind there, I keep forgetting, lol, beings I have the other heater.
Have a Good Day.
edge68474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 08:00 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
As larry mentions, it's behind the white plastic panel.

There is a snap disc (about the size of a nickel and mine is mounted on the plastic panel), and that is the thermostat to control it. You can unscrew the snap disc, put it in a zip lock bag with wires still connected and carefully put it in ice water. Don't let snap disc get wet, but this should turn on the heater to see if it's working. If it doesn't work, there is many threads on the fix here, including how to get to the fuse inside the heater.

The heater is 12 volts so don't expect a lot of heat, but it's kept my wet bay above freezing when outside temperature was in the low 20's.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 01:28 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Mine is just behind the black and grey water drains and is mounted to the deck so I can see it below the white panel. I am in cold weather with 20s coming this way so I turned it on and using an infrared temp gun checked to see it was producing heat.
Old 12-24-2017, 10:05 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Ours:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Bay Heater.pdf (55.7 KB, 67 views)
Old 12-25-2017, 05:10 PM   #6

Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmmonaco View Post
...AND, if this unit is behind the panel, is there anyway to tell that it is working?..........thanks in advance
I keep a remote reading thermometer with the sender in the wet bay when temps are going to go below freezing. When the system is working correctly the wet bay temp will average about 42-44 degrees. Nice is that I can put the display in the house when we're home and monitor the status as needed.
nehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 11:48 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I put a thermometer in my wet bay last night and it was steady about 65, outside dropped to 28. I think the heater ran from the time I turned the switch on until I flipped it off in the morning. I also stuffed some rags around the water hose and sewer hose where they enter the wet bay to block the flow of air in/out of the bay. I may have a bad snap disc...wonder where it is hiding.
Old 12-26-2017, 12:58 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
from what I've read on here and elsewhere, if yours works, you are in the small lucky group
Old 12-26-2017, 02:35 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
On my 07Knight the heater is just behind the white panel and down, You cant miss it if you are looking below the white panel.
Old 12-27-2017, 01:57 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bborc View Post
On my 07Knight the heater is just behind the white panel and down, You cant miss it if you are looking below the white panel.
i will look again, maybe just not looking low enough.......thanks to all
jsmmonaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 04:04 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Mine is on the forward wall of the water bay, and it's about 6 inches square and 4 inches deep. It's a 12vdc heater so 1) if will eat your batteries if you're not plugged in or running, and 2) it doesn't put out a lot of heat but it puts out enough to fight off 25*F outside weather. Mine work as advertised. There will be a snap disc to control it; it looks like a nickel with two wires connected to it, mounted on the same wall as the heater. The snap disc closes at like 37*F and opens at 46, sumpin like that.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat