Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-11-2017, 07:47 PM   #1

System heat switch wiring - 01 Scepter

I'm trying to undo the previous owner's workaround/repair of the wet bay heat. The switch above the passenger seat has been replaced with non-OEM and never plugged in. Should I have +12vdc to any of the three wires?

The heater in the bay looks to have been replaced and the wiring modified that has disabled the relay and it doesn't look like the post with the heavy gauge red wires has voltage. Not sure if the post should.

I really need to get a neighbor with the same coach I can use for comparison to sort out this and all the other things I'm trying to fix.
Pirate_Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2017, 08:34 PM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Is the temperature in your wet bay freezing while you perform these tests?
Old 11-12-2017, 07:02 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Do you have the wiring diagrams, which are in the owners manual.

I actually contacted Monaco and had them send me a electronic PDF set, much easier to read since you can zoom in and search. Here's a link

RV Wiring Diagram & RV Plumbing Diagram – Request Technical Assistance

My coach may be similar to yours.

My system heat switch shows a Blue & Red wire which should have 12 volts on it.

In the Passenger side rear electrical compartment there is a series of auto reset circuit breakers, they are mounted on a copper type bus bar. On my coach it shows a 5 amp system heat switch & a 30 amp system heat.

In the wet bay there is a snap disk that when closed allows the heater to work. When trouble shooting mine I took the snap disk loose and connected the 2 wires. You can also hold an ice cube on the disk to get it to close but this makes it hard to trouble shoot by yourself.

There is a 10 gauge red wire that provides the actual power for the heater, which originates from the 30 amp circuit breaker

When you turn the system heat switch on the heater will not come on unless the snap disk is closed, when this happens the switch actually lights up to show it is working.

The switch closes a relay that allows 12 volt power from the 30 amp circuit breaker with will run the heater when snap disk is closed or bypassed.

I had trouble with my system and the cause was the 30 amp circuit breaker, a nut had come off and it was loose, took me a while to find but a simple fix.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 03:44 PM   #4

Nor'easters Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
See if this diagram helps.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Bay Heater.pdf (55.7 KB, 32 views)
nehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 08:36 PM   #5

Some of the wires including some leading to the snap disk are cut. A switch has been wired in to heater. And this relay seems to be disabled. The post doesn't have power as far as I can tell.

I've got the coach winterized so I can work on this as time allows. I'll start at the beginning and work my way downstream.

nehog - yes, that helps. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo Nov 12, 1 14 16 PM reduced.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	182758   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo Nov 12, 1 14 22 PM reduced.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	121.9 KB
ID:	182759  

Pirate_Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote