RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-02-2017, 02:03 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Tach Guage bounces

2006 isl Cummins 400 PDD Monaco. Guage started bouncing around, the engine performance stayed normal, guage was jumping up several hundred rpms, then up to 4000, hanging there then back to 1400 and all over the place. Did not notice any other abnormal readings or lack of operation. Back of dash looks like all connected, not sure where to start looking for a bad ground, I usually get a lot of help from the forum. Maybe a bad gage ???

King Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2017, 02:24 PM   #2

Loose connection of wiring on tach or source.

Mhcorrigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 02:31 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Richard View Post
2006 isl Cummins 400 PDD Monaco. Guage started bouncing around, the engine performance stayed normal, guage was jumping up several hundred rpms, then up to 4000, hanging there then back to 1400 and all over the place. Did not notice any other abnormal readings or lack of operation. Back of dash looks like all connected, not sure where to start looking for a bad ground, I usually get a lot of help from the forum. Maybe a bad gage ???
I had same issue. I pulled on genny and looked on fire wall right above it. There is a buss bar with many white wires attached. Go through each wire and be sure they are tightly grounded. That fixed my issue.

I read somewhere that they ran an additional ground wire from the gauge. I didn't need to do that, but thought i'd share it.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 11:42 PM   #4

Could also be the alternator nearing end of life and the brushes are bouncing.
~Bryn
BrynP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 07:20 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Tach bounce

My tach was bouncing also, maybe a little more than yours. I opened the dash access over the dash gauges, took a nut driver and tighten All the WHITE wires on each gauge and found 2 ground blocks (one left side and one right side of dash) under dash and tightened all of them. That totally worked on mine, now tach is rock solid and so are the other gauges. Might as well tighten all other wires also while you are there.

Good luck
Dave
djhinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 09:39 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
alt problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrynP View Post
Could also be the alternator nearing end of life and the brushes are bouncing.
~Bryn
It would seem that there may be other symptoms if there was an alternator problem. How does/ would this influence the tach reading?
King Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 10:44 PM   #7

The diesel's tachometers runs off the "R" lug on the alternator(AC current) before the rectifier. You could see charging problems, weird electrical problems like when you have a bad ground/back feeding or worst case the rectifier burned out completeing the circuit and depending on RMP up to 90v AC being run to the battery. Thankfully the battery will act like a filter protecting most 12v until it boils out.
Old 11-07-2017, 07:48 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
It has been stated numinous times on this forum that electrical problems are caused by bad grounds.... Grounds at the battery, main shutoff, and at affected components. It is very easy to check grounds on the gauges and ground blocks under the dash....... Start with the easy fixes first......

Good luck
Dave
djhinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 11:01 AM   #9

Once the alternator starts charging the you should be able to remove/add the ground without changing the pre-rectifier output, tachometer should not bounce.