Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2014, 10:23 PM   #1

Tag Lift Question

For those of you running the RR10s or the monocoque chassis with the full tag lift I was looking for some input;

I have noticed just some slight bruising/scrubbing on my tag tires. If you compare the tread groove edges to the 4 tires on the drive there is a difference.

To quanitify this I will say that the tires were all installed at the same time, I set tire pressures based on corner weights and I set my total tag pressure based on total axle weight. I lift my tag when I'm backing up and turning in tight confines, like if we are in a parking lot getting groceries etc.

My question is this;
How many users are doing a full tag lift to reduce scrubbing at "hard" or full 90* turns at intersections? As that was the only other reason I could come up with.

I have pics below,

Thanks Adam
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	64251  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2014, 10:26 PM   #2

Sorry;

Forgot to add the drive picture to show the wear difference...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	64252  
Old 05-30-2014, 11:00 PM   #3

The first pix looks like camber wear. Toe or tight turning wear would have scrub marks. The pix may not show the scrub marks. My rv doesn't have a tag but I have worked on prevost busses with tags and we (the drivers and I) did not lift the tag once under way. Only lifted in parking lots or bus terminals to reduce the turning radius.
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 04:39 AM   #4

Looks like those are the Goodyear g670 tires and are doing the famous rivering they are known for.

Chad
onechaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 06:18 AM   #5

The unit came with new Goodyear tires when we bought it. I have already switched the fronts to the Michelin XZA2. The Goodyears are not a great tire - but I still intend to run them out.

I could buy the rivering idea but if you notice in the 2nd pic (Drive) tires not a single mark, and while I'm no tire expert my understanding of "riveting" doesn't include the whole face of the tire.

I still say its scrubbing (look right where the tread rolls to the sidewall).
Old 05-31-2014, 06:24 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Hunter View Post
For those of you running the RR10s or the monocoque chassis with the full tag lift I was looking for some input;

I have noticed just some slight bruising/scrubbing on my tag tires. If you compare the tread groove edges to the 4 tires on the drive there is a difference.

To quanitify this I will say that the tires were all installed at the same time, I set tire pressures based on corner weights and I set my total tag pressure based on total axle weight. I lift my tag when I'm backing up and turning in tight confines, like if we are in a parking lot getting groceries etc.

My question is this;
How many users are doing a full tag lift to reduce scrubbing at "hard" or full 90* turns at intersections? As that was the only other reason I could come up with.

I have pics below,

Thanks Adam
I have the RR10R chassis and see the same wear pattern. I can't lift my tag but only dump the air. The edge wear on the tag doesn't appear to run across the entire tire width. I dump air only while parking etc. never on the road and accept the edge wear as unavoidable.
Old 05-31-2014, 06:42 AM   #7

I would put my money on rivering. The G670's are infamous for strange wear patterns. I usually have the tag set to lift all the time. When I slow down ( I think it happens at 10 mph) the tag lifts and then falls when going over that speed. I always make sure my tag is up after registering at a CG. But I am not concerned about tire wear. I do this so I can maneuver the tight CG corners.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 06:47 AM   #8

Quote:

My question is this;

I have pics below,

Thanks Adam
how many miles are on the tag tires do you know, is it possible the front were rotated to tag at some time, they don't look that bad but mine look better, I only lift for parking and tight low speed maneuvering mostly to save driveways and grass areas. It does not appear to be rivering, the tag pressure is adjustable, there will be a reg in the engine bay, mine is on drivers side below electrical, also typical tag pressures are quite low, mine are at min for tire 85lbs drives are at 100, 5 lbs over recommended and steers at 110, right on recommended and they climb above immediately.

Hope this helps

Moxy
Moxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 07:27 AM   #9

The tires were put on the coach new when we purchased it. They now have 14,000 KLMs on them.

The bruises are not spot specific - but equally noticeable on both tags.

I lost the front GY steer tires last season (sidewall cupping), They were 9 months old. They were not up to the task on the front that's when I switched to the XZA1's.

This spring when I weighed, my tag pressure was set at 45 PSI. I run my tag tire pressures at 85 PSI.

Not to change this into another tire brand thread but the Michelins up front are the difference between night and day when we switched.

I would like to get at least 2 more seasons out of these back 6 Goodyears - I hope.?!

Thanks for all the input.
Old 05-31-2014, 07:33 AM   #10

Adam, I raise my tag always when making tight turns. My previous tires were Goodyears and showed that wear pattern (rivering) on all tires. I switched to Michelins and have about 25,000 miles on them and don't show the same wear pattern as before.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 07:44 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
The tires were put on the coach new when we purchased it. They now have 14,000 KLMs on them.

The bruises are not spot specific - but equally noticeable on both tags.

I lost the front GY steer tires last season (sidewall cupping), They were 9 months old. They were not up to the task on the front that's when I switched to the XZA1's.

This spring when I weighed, my tag pressure was set at 45 PSI. I run my tag tire pressures at 85 PSI.

Not to change this into another tire brand thread but the Michelins up front are the difference between night and day when we switched.

I would like to get at least 2 more seasons out of these back 6 Goodyears - I hope.?!

Thanks for all the input.
Adam,
I have a 2007 42PDQ also run 45lbs in the tag and 85lbs in the tag tires. I am also running out a pair of Goodyear G670s on the tag. I don't have any scrubbing wear(that is definitely scrub wear on yours) on my tag tires.
However, I never lift my tag unless on the grass to avoid peeling up the grass.
bgbranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 08:19 AM   #12

Although 85 lbs. is more than enough for the tag tires I run mine @ 90 lbs. Same as the drives. Are you saying the tires are original? What is the date code? I don't know why owners do not lift the tag. When you enter a flying J rv fuel island and have to make that sharp right turn to exit, the tag should be lifted. This helps in turning tight and prevents scrubbing the tires.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 09:05 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I run 100# in my tags and drives and lift on sharp turns, a little scrubbing but not like the Goodyears. No way can I tell a difference in ride when running lower pressures on the rear. A little more air should help you JMHO.
Twomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 10:18 AM   #14

All interesting input.

Just to clarify, our coach had 1 previous owner. When we purchased it in Sept 2012 the dealer had put 8 new Goodyears on it. All date coded for summer 2012. Those tag tires only have 8700 miles on them.

Since then I have replaced 1 tag (under Goodyear Warranty) and swopped out the 2 steer Goodyears for 2 XZA's.

Just poor luck with the Goodyears.