Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-22-2015, 05:44 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Tail light failure

We have a 2002 HR Endeavor. The marker lights and tail lights went out on the RV and the toad. We have had this problem before and I got help from my iRV2 friends. We replaced the marker fuse and went back on the road and they worked. Then it went out again the next day on the road. What might cause the fuse to keep blowing out?
Bees is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2015, 06:19 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Maybe you have a wire intermittently shorting to ground somewhere in the trailer/toad connection. The socket mounted to the trailer hitch on some models hangs down pretty low and can drag the ground when entering/exiting the road from driveways and parking lots. Mine was all bent up and crushed. The wires were pulled out enough to short out. I replaced the receptacle, fixed the wires and moved the bracket to a higher location.
Good luck.

Roy
Old 04-22-2015, 06:34 AM   #3

Since it doesn't blow the fuse right away there is probably not a short. There is a possibility that the fuse is not sized correctly for your toad. If it is a 7.5 amp fuse you might want to try a 10 amp fuse.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 06:45 AM   #4
YC1

This is one instance where I recommend pulling, tugging, and shaking wiring plugs and harness assemblies. As suggested, loose wires on plugs and sockets would be my first place. If you cannot duplicate the blown fuse you will need to follow as much of the wiring as possible to find a wire that is rubbing.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 07:59 PM   #5

I had my lights go like the OP's. Kept blowing fuses for the tail and running lights. What we eventually found was that the relay for the driving lights had gone out. Replaced the relay and all was well.

2002 HR Endeavor 40ft.
Old 04-23-2015, 10:23 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Canter View Post
There is a possibility that the fuse is not sized correctly for your toad. If it is a 7.5 amp fuse you might want to try a 10 amp fuse.
Mike, you give a lot of great advice to this forum, and you are a valuable asset. But I must disagree with this recommendation as it is potentially dangerous.

The fuse is not sized according to the toad, it is sized according to the weakest link in the chain, generally the wire size. Unless you know that every component in the chain can handle the higher current draw, it is bad advice to suggest putting in a larger fuse. That is how damaged wiring and even fires can start.

If you have a toad that draws more current than the wiring can handle, the proper solution is to find a higher capacity power source, and use the original limited power source to drive a relay that switches the higher capacity source.

Simply replacing a fuse with a larger size is rarely the correct solution.

As mentioned by others, it could be an intermittent short caused by moving and loose connections. Using a larger fuse is also not a proper fix for such a scenario.
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 11:06 AM   #7

I didn't say double the size of the fuse. I suggested increasing the size by 2.5 amps. If it is a short it will blow that also. Circuits are not designed to be on the edge but have a safety factor. I have doing electronics for 46 years and I don't see a problem in doing that but each to his own. The way the wiring bundles are secured I seriously doubt on dis moving aroundand shirting out. If there is a short the most likely it is a stray strand of wire in the trailer plug.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 04:46 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Canter View Post
I didn't say double the size of the fuse. I suggested increasing the size by 2.5 amps.
It's a 33% increase. In and of itself, not a huge amount. The problem comes when that kind of recommendation is abused by someone who doesn't know as much as you, or doesn't understand what they're doing. "Well, if uppping it to 10 amps helped, maybe going to 20 amps will be even better!"

Not saying anyone would do that based on your comments, but I generally never recommend a larger fuse because you never know what people will do with the recommendation. No disrespect intended. I guess I just try to stay conservative in these types of situations. There are lots of people out there who have no concept about electricity, and lots of people who know just enough to be truly dangerous...

Quote:
The way the wiring bundles are secured I seriously doubt on dis moving aroundand shirting out.
You have more confidence in the build quality and wire routing care than I have. On my rig, I've already tracked down strained and broken connections, and other loose connections. And I've seen enough pictures of rubbing or chafed/melted RV wires that I never assume every bundle is properly supported and restrained.

Quote:
If there is a short the most likely it is a stray strand of wire in the trailer plug.
A very distinct possibility. Whatever the cause, an intermittent short should not be discounted.

And intermittent problems can be a nightmare to diagnose!
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 05:31 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
We lost all taillights and tow lights once. Turned out to be a corroded wire on the center marker light.

tikitom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 07:49 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks to all for your great advice. Got home and stored it away for now but will get back over there soon to run through the connections, marker lights, etc. We appreciate you taking to time to help us.
Old 05-24-2015, 10:33 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Found short in Toad wiring.

I had the same problem with a 1999 HR Imperial. I was able to temporarily fix the problem by disconnecting the tail light wire from my toad plug. We had drove through some Texas flood water and our toad had a plug under the trunk that was not sealed and had water in it causing a short.
Old 05-26-2015, 06:21 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
My husband bought a new receptacle for the trailer/toad but hasn't had a chance to take it over and put it together. Hopefully that will solve the problem. Keeping everything crossed. Thank you
Old 05-27-2015, 06:36 PM   #13

I had a 2003 executive one of the side marker light connections had corroded and I lost everything from that light all the way around the back to the other side including top rear they're all run together
B.Good is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light