Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2010, 03:05 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Tank Level calibration

Awhile back I was frustrated that the tank level monitors were very inaccurate. I took the top off of the tank monitor display in the wet bay and removed the board. A small screw driver inserted in the slot at the top of the assembly can be used to pop out the plastic cover. The board is held by a couple of plastic tabs which can be depressed to release the printed circuit board.

On the back are 2 trim pots that adjust the sensitivity. The pic below identifies the trim pots. The trim pot on the left increases or decreases the sensitivity of the LPG and fresh water. The pot on the right does the same for the Gray and Black tanks. If you decide to try this science experience make sure you mark the position of the original trim pot setting. It also seems like adjusting one pot interacts a little with the other. The monitor inside the coach must also be recalibrated. Over time, however, the calibration will drift again and recalibration will be required. Not a very good engineering job so I have decided to go ahead and buy the SeeLevel.

Trim pot location

The location of the wet bay monitor is in the upper left hand corner of the wet bay just above the fresh water fill

Maybe something useful for those boring days and you need something to do.

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Sixpack98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2010, 10:51 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Well..I have known from our first trip out that the calibration was off for the holding tanks...now I wonder if you can just replace that brain with See-Level's OR if one has to replace the complete system...

Thanks for pointing out the setting location, sixpack.

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 06:31 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
MM,
You pretty much have to gut the existing system. Most of the time the wiring to the sensors can be used to connect to the SeeLevel sensors.

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Old 06-25-2010, 10:25 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Sixpack98

I have adjusted the level indication on our coach, 2009 Camelot, and found that for our circuits the "pot" on the left controls the gray tank level and the one on the right controls the "black tank level. I may have it wrong since I did not have a manual and just went by the level indication reaction as I adjusted. I found that the level adjustment was very very sensitive and non-linear so trying to get the service center indication and the inside indication to track together was difficult. I finally got it close enough for our use. As you know these are very crude level indicators.

Lew
Old 06-25-2010, 06:24 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Go to SeaLevel, the internal sensors will never work right
itdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 06:29 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LewF View Post
Sixpack98

I have adjusted the level indication on our coach, 2009 Camelot, and found that for our circuits the "pot" on the left controls the gray tank level and the one on the right controls the "black tank level. I may have it wrong since I did not have a manual and just went by the level indication reaction as I adjusted. I found that the level adjustment was very very sensitive and non-linear so trying to get the service center indication and the inside indication to track together was difficult. I finally got it close enough for our use. As you know these are very crude level indicators.

Lew
Lew,
you could be correct, it has been awhile since I did the calibration. Which ever one is correct it is not difficult to determine which one is correct. They are very sensitive and non-linear. If I had nothing else to do I would follow the calibration down a rat hole. The smart money is to go with the SeeLevel, a much more sophisticated system and not as tempermental as a 14 yr old teenager.

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Old 06-25-2010, 06:35 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Would love to go to SeeLevel but I don't have access to the outside of the black and gray tank without lots of disassembly on this coach. Fresh tank is very easy to get to but I think I have to remove the entire cover from the service bay to get to the black and gray tanks. If anybody with a late model Camelot knows how to get to these tanks I would love to put the SeeLevel in place. I concur with all the comments about the OEM tank level indicating system.

We used to have an Endeavor and the tank access was much easier on it.

Lew
Old 06-25-2010, 10:29 PM   #8
gg

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would like to replace the factory system on the Gray/Black Tanks also.
Has anyone found the tanks or sensor location on a Gas Safari Simba?
Looking from the underside the tanks are not visiable and appears to have a belly pan cover with Heavy undercoating. It should have heating pads for winter use per my salesman ???.
Old 06-25-2010, 10:41 PM   #9
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I added a new monitoring system to my coach. I don't know if this helps anyone, but I was able to reach under my utility bay panel and blindly place the tape sensors on the grey and black tank. It tore my arms up a little, but worked. I opened the dead (no latch) bay door on the passenger side and was able to access the fresh water tank.

My bathroom sits directly over the tanks and I was able to run all the wiring down the indicator panel wall, into the bathroom cabinets, under the shower, behind the toilet and down into the area where all the tanks are housed.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 07:16 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I know my coach is not the same as yours but it was not that hard to remove the utility bay panel. You might also be able to access the tanks from the other side of the coach. It would not work on mine because the tanks are not full height on the curb side.
itdave is offline   Reply With Quote