Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2018, 01:04 PM   #1

Tank Level Indicators

Black, fresh and lpg work pretty good; grey not so much. Grey reads full all the time. I tried disconnecting the plug to the sensors and it still reads full, all light on. Is this a short in the board? I am not entirely clear on how these work, I assume resistance is read across the 2 wires through the sensors; the more sensors seeing water level, less resistance to the board, more lights on?? Is this correct? Anybody had this problem and a solution? Any help is appreciated. THX TB
TANDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2018, 01:22 PM   #2

Lots of people have this problem, in my opinion the only real solution is to install a system that does not depend on these contact sensors. Check out the SeeLevel 709 system, I installed one last year and since then no more sensor issues, and better yet it has much higher resolution, no more 1/3, 2/3, full
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 01:37 PM   #3

How difficult was running wiring to the panel? I have considered SeaLevel but am not sure how to route the wiring from the sensors to he panel. THX TB
TANDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 01:47 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Had the same problem with mine, but it always read 2/3 where yours shows full.
I read here about using 1 cup Dawn detergent and 1 cup liquid Calgon water softener. I figured what the heck, it's cheap to try. I put in a cup of each and then put in enough water to get it to the level of the problem sensor, then drove around, let it soak, and didn't empty the tank until it was full to brimming (I realize that was easier for me than for you, given which sensor is acting up). In two weeks the sensor reading was sometimes right, in four weeks it was right all the time and has been sense then.
I now do the Dawn/Calgon bit every 3rd or 4th tank, both black and grey.
Old 06-20-2018, 02:25 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I try to avoid stringing new wires through the coach. It can be VERY time consuming.
Most of these coach sensors use RJ11 (telephone) cables for communication. You can purchase an inexpensive phone cable and jumper your gray sensor to one of the other sensor inputs to see if the issue follows the sensor. You can also purchase an RJ11 crimping tool and install new ends on your current cable.

Does your coach use the Aladdin monitor system?
If so you can purchase new pressure tranducer sensors here. They run about $50 each.
CATCON Products |RV Products

You will have to reprogram the system for the new sensors.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Aladdin Tank Calibration 2004.pdf (509.8 KB, 7 views)
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 03:49 PM   #6

The current version of the SeeLevel 709 only requires 2 wires for all the tanks (split out to each tank sensor) , plus power to the panel. When I installed mine I re-used 2 of the original sensor wires to provide ground and sender leads to the sensors. The SeeLevel 709 replaced the factory fill status panel. Total install time for me was a couple of hours, though much of that was building a dummy face plate to mount the display in since it is much smaller than the factory fill status panel. (I used a section of laminate counter end splash, that contrasted well with the woodwork, I also replaced my tick tick tick mechanical generator hour meter with an LCD model while I was it it, and added a blue LED illuminated switch for the water pump).

See attachments for before and after
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fill-panel-old.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	218.2 KB
ID:	207866   Click image for larger version

Name:	fill-panel-new.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	178.9 KB
ID:	207867  

Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote