Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2010, 09:27 AM   #1

Terrified new HR Admiral owner

Hi...I am a new forum member and 2008 HR Admiral 34sbd owner. This is our first motorhome and 48 hours after the purchase I am experiencing major "buyer's remorse". Is this normal? I didn't experience this much anxiety when I bought any of my houses! The source of my anxiety:
  • I do not trust the dealer...just a feeling and I doubt this would be different with any dealer. Research has told me to not trust any of them.
  • NO WARRANTY! I am very afraid of driving away and having the engine blow after 500 miles. Would Workhorse and Allison cover me still?
  • There were some items on the RV that raised some concerns. The dealer has agreed to fix all of them before I take delivery, but they are items he should have picked up when he did his own inspection, which he claims he did. The items included sealant tape peeling off the skylight, GFI outlet in bathroom kept tripping and therefore only 2 outlets in the whole RV would work.
  • The RV is in CA, I live in Delaware. The RV's first trip will be 2800 miles across the nation.
  • I spent 5 hours inspecting the unit but did not actually drive it myself...the dealer drove it on our test drive.
  • The unit is a ""voluntary give back" to avoid a bank repo. I did inspect it for 5 hours using the RV Consumer Group guide but I am not a mechanic and really did not know what to look for mechanically.
  • The dealer said he would give me a warranty "at cost" which he quoted as $2800 for a 2 year policy...one of the reasons I do not trust him. I know this is way over his cost.
I thought I had done my research before buying and feel the price I am paying is good but not great (69% of current NADA consumer-driven list price). I think it boils down to this for me: I think it is absurd the money we pay for these motorhomes knowing that we are getting something that will have many issues and knowing that it is built with poor to average quality. I am trying to justify it in my mind by reminding myself that this is an investment in my family, not a financial investment.

So, is this normal to experience this anxiety and buyer's remorse after a purchase??

Thank you, and I am sorry my first post is negative and "needy".

Kyle
Khenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2010, 09:46 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yes, it is normal. You will have buyers remorse more than once, its kinda like breathing, hard not to do it. Workhorse has a good warranty, so does Allison, so you are covered there for three years 36k mile whichever comes first. There are a lot of good extended warranties out there, with Good Sams and Prism, (they may be the same for all I know) but even with one of those you may find it easier to fix some things yourself. Also all componets, such as the fridge, tvs, furnace, etc, they have their own factory warranties. It may be an "orphan" coach but not totally without friends and first cousins. So a bit of remorse is normal, and we all know that remorse is a kind of fear. Once you get out there on the road and fly across God's Country at an altitude of six feet you will start to replace remorse with something a lot better.

Remember rule number one for owning a motor home: A motor home will improve your life....if you let it.

By the way, the Workhorse Chassis owners club (and I ethusiastically suggest you join) will be having their East Coast Rally at Camp Hatteras in Waves NC this Oct 5-9. There will be about 80 or more coaches there and lots of seminars from people including Workhorse. If you come you will learn a lot.
-Gramps- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 09:57 AM   #3

!st, your warranty is good on most everything except the house, as Workhorse and Allison are both long warranties and will cover the 2nd owner. Many appliances are 2 or 3 year warranties and again will cover the 2nd owner if registered. I would not be the least concerned about the big ticket items.

Give the dealer the benefit of the doubt when it comes to fixing what you found wrong on the PDI. Now if he does not fix things to your satisfaction, you have a problem. By the way, who is the dealer in CA?

Everything is negotiable, including any extended service contract. If you have not signed the papers yet, tell the dealer you will give him his asking price for a 4 year contract or offer $1400 for his 2 year contract. I agree with you, his asking price is above his cost. If he balks, you can get a yearly one from Camping world to cover your concerns for a lot less money, or you can contact Prizm Warranty and purchase your own for less money.

The trip home is a good thing, as you will know the coach well when you arrive on the east coast and in that distance have a chance to see if there are some bugs, but I truly doubt there will be any.

Buy it and enjoy many years of RVing.
The Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 10:03 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Biggie...fill your water tank, keep it full. Most empty motorhomes don't drive real well, and you don't need more anxiety. ALSO...check your tire pressures, probably around 85=90 for an empty coach. If pressures are too high it will not handle well. Weigh it somewhere on the trip (truck stop) while fueling and you will have an idea of empty weight before you get home and start filling it up with stuff. Forget the dealer...what good is a guy in CA going to do you anyway??

Have a safe trip...start out slow, watch your mirrors. Stop frequently, do a walk around, smells, touch the tires (temps realtively the same) axle ends, just look her over. Easier on you and the coach.

After about Arizona, sit back and SMILE!!!
Twomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 10:04 AM   #5

Mr. khenson. Gramps is right on. This motor home will enhance your life beyond words can describe.
Don't worry it to death. We all know that you could have everything working to perfection....10 miles down the road you hear things, see things and start working on a fixit list. This is just the way it is.
You soon will say "Wow, what a beautiful sunrise overlooking the lake. Never seen such a colorful sunset over the canyon walls. Met new people I look forward to seeing again...Ahh life is good."
Someone said to me the RV life is like the old fashion neghborhood when people were out on the "porch" to welcome new friends.
Just don't worry it to death...have fun......Just do it!!!
Larry
Larry Geese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 10:25 AM   #6

Thanks Gramps, Larry, Twomed, and The Texan! You have alleviated my anxiety somewhat.

Technically I am the 3rd owner since the dealer bought it at auction, right? So would the warranties mentioned still be valid?

The dealer in CA is Conejo Wholesale in Thousand Oaks. I tried researching them but couldn't find anyone who has bought from them.
Old 05-16-2010, 10:40 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Nothing worse than waking in the middle of the night with that oh my god what have I done thought. Relax you will get over it once you get on the road. I think if it were me I would hang around the area where I bought it for a week or so just testing everything out.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 10:53 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khenson View Post
Thanks Gramps, Larry, Twomed, and The Texan! You have alleviated my anxiety somewhat.

Technically I am the 3rd owner since the dealer bought it at auction, right? So would the warranties mentioned still be valid?

The dealer in CA is Conejo Wholesale in Thousand Oaks. I tried researching them but couldn't find anyone who has bought from them.
I think you still have a chassis warranty, I did when I was the second owner because the mileage and time exclusions had not expired.

You should be able to register as the new owner at Workhorse.com/my workhorse. You might also post any questions you have about your chassis here in the Workhorse fourms...under chassis owner's clubs. Driver our Workhorse ambassador can answer just about any questions you have. Don't be surprised if he reads this here post and responds.
Old 05-16-2010, 10:58 AM   #9

bdpreece...we intend to do just that. I did negotiate a 60 day 1000 mile dealer warranty. They will pay 100% if the work is done at their shop.

Thanks again, Gramps. I will register it promptly after picking it up!
Old 05-16-2010, 11:38 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
When we bought our 04 in Nov08 I looked into the extended warranty also. I was quoted about the same as you & found some on my own as much as $3500 & as low as $2000. Since we were financing this purchase & the MH only had 7400 miles & was very clean, we decided to forego the extended warranty & instead we put that money + money for insurance in our own savings account. In essence paying ourselves. We have had no major problem that we have called out the repair people for as of yet & we are keeping that money for when there is a rainy day.

Hope your recieving days go great & you get over the anxiety. It's all good!!!
dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 12:05 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Another consideraton, before treking across country on your first trip in a new box, get a road service policy, I have, and have used, Coach Net, with great results.
Ron
Old 05-16-2010, 12:21 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coach net may be part of your chassis warranty, but if something else causes a break down like a slide out problem, they will not cover that. However the Coach Net service with Workhorse covers all chassis problems including flat tires so you should be okay, just make sure you talk to Workhorse before you leave CA and make sure they have you set up as the new owner.
Old 05-16-2010, 12:43 PM   #13

Take what Gramps says verbatim...and don't worry about the chassis/transmission...I am smack in the middle of certain situations now and I don't regret purchasing at all....and both the parties involved are standing behind their product (Carrier and Lippert)....while I am ticked off at the situation happening there is light at the end of this tunnel..
bullydogs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 05:52 PM   #14
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Khenson...The dealership is about 7 miles from my house. He's a local guy that buys all kinds of RV's, primarily repos. I went there a couple of years ago and checked a coach out for an Alakan couple before they bought. If you need some help or want me to look at anything for you let me know.

When you take delivery, let me know if you need any help/prep for the return home.

I'll give you my phone in a PM.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote