Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-16-2019, 07:31 AM   #43

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
After the written test you HAVE to go on line and schedule. They do not take walk ins.
Dfreiberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2019, 07:42 AM   #44

I took my Class A written test at the Plano office. Once you pass that test, they give you an account number and info needed to log onto the DPS site to then schedule your driving test. I scheduled mine at the Carrollton Mega Center for about 4 weeks out (first available date). I kept watching the site and was able to move it up about 2 weeks as the openings changed. Driving test in Carrollton wasn't bad at all, even pulling my 40ft 5th wheel. Probably wouldn't want to do it in downtown Dallas, but any of the medium sized offices / cities would probably be ok (similar to Carrollton roads and traffic).
Gsykora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 07:50 AM   #45

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
I live in Austin, but took both written and driving tests at a new DPS office in New Braunfels. Easy to get to and super nice staff!
Old 03-16-2019, 06:09 PM   #46

That license is required if you tow anything over 10000 pounds.
Old 03-17-2019, 08:04 AM   #47

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mydogmax View Post
That license is required if you tow anything over 10000 pounds.

RVs over 32k lbs
Old 03-17-2019, 08:12 AM   #48

Monaco Owners Club
Over 26,001 lbs
But no worries,

The DPS people and the writers of the lawyer-ese language MUST make it so complicated and important sounding to make it incomprehensible

And just like every thread about this, and every time you call DPS - very few people get the correct answers - we all just have to do what we think is the 'right thing'
Old 03-17-2019, 08:14 AM   #49

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
Over 26,001 lbs
But no worries,

The DPS people and the writers of the lawyer-ese language MUST make it so complicated and important sounding to make it incomprehensible

And just like every thread about this, and every time you call DPS - very few people get the correct answers - we all just have to do what we think is the 'right thing'

I knew weight was a factor as well. I should have looked it up first[emoji848]
Old 03-17-2019, 06:09 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by jturbo10 View Post
I have a 42 ft Monaco Dynasty and want to get a Class B non commercial CDL drivers license. I have copied CDL's Chapter 14 and will be taking the test in April or May. Does anyone know where I can take the written test close to Tyler, Tx and the easiest place to take the drivers test as I'd prefer not taking it in Houston or Dallas area. Sounds like Waco would be a good candidate but it is a good drive from East Texas. Appreciate all the good info provided on this web site.

You are wanting to test for a Class B License. When they ask why tell them you have an RV. There is no such thing as a non commercial CDL. How can you have a non commercial commercial drivers license???
avvidclif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 08:17 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by avvidclif View Post
You are wanting to test for a Class B License. When they ask why tell them you have an RV. There is no such thing as a non commercial CDL. How can you have a non commercial commercial drivers license???

I think they meant non commercial 26K+ special DL.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 09:05 AM   #52
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
It doesn't matter what you call it. It says "B" on the front of the license and "Not for compensation - recreational only" on the back.
Old 03-18-2019, 09:34 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
It doesn't matter what you call it. It says "B" on the front of the license and "Not for compensation - recreational only" on the back.

My license does not say : “Not for compensation-recreational only”. They must have changed that.
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 09:41 AM   #54

NY is a little different it seems in that the only Class A and B is commercial. There is an "R" endorsement, for "Recreational Vehicles GVWR over 26,000 lbs", which would be Class B in other States. But I'm reluctant to downgrade from a Class A CDL to that (eliminates the biennial physical) since I may need a Class A or B in another State when we leave NY for a warmer climate.

Like TX, where I have grand kids.

https://dmv.ny.gov/driver-license/ny...icense-classes
KanzKran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 07:34 PM   #55

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by avvidclif View Post

Actually since Texas has a Class A, B, and C in both commercial AND non commercial, that's how they refer to it... (at least when I talked to them)

A Non Commercial Class B - I'm sure it's just semantics to ensure we are talking about the same thing....

https://www.dps.texas.gov/DriverLicense/dlClasses.htm
Old 03-19-2019, 06:31 PM   #56

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
Actually since Texas has a Class A, B, and C in both commercial AND non commercial, that's how they refer to it... (at least when I talked to them)
They also refer to it as Class A,B,C “Exempt”.
I took my driving test today an I am now LEGAL!
Like others said, after you pass the written (at any DL office), they give you a login to schedule the driving test.
Heres where it got very confusing to me. Here’s why:
Along with the printout login information, they gave me a map and list of “CDL” testing locations.
When you log in to schedule a driving test, it requires you to select the TYPE of test. There’s a section labeled “Commercial “ with buttons for class a,b and c.
And there’s a section labeled “Other” with buttons for “Recreational/RV” and Firetruck.
I didn’t know which one was right, and it gives DIFFERENT locations based on your selection. And the CDL>ClassB locations were all booked out for about 6 weeks.
So I called the DPS and suffered through a 45 min hold time to learn that the right choice is Other>Recreational/RV.
This choice did NOT send me to the “CDL” testing locations.
I went to the small office in Fredericksburg that offered an appointment next-day.
Cheers
Walter

Tags
class b, texas