Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-11-2021, 07:42 AM   #29

Thanks to all of you for looking at the thread and for all the kind words and encouragement. This is how I created a new firewall cap. Created it out of scrap 3/4 plywood and 1'by. Glued up pieces then fiberglassed. Poured fiberglass slurry of resin mixed with glass fiber on the 2 inch ledge. Then set the firewall cap in the slurry to make it bind with the front of the MH. Now it is solid. Then pulled the A/C hoses through the holes and sealed the entire piece with Loctite foam sealant. It is a closed cell sealant that repels water. Great Stuff foam sealant is an open cell sealant and actually attracts and absorbs water. Not good for sealing against water.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail.jpeg
Views:	34
Size:	138.0 KB
ID:	331730   Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail-1.jpeg
Views:	32
Size:	145.3 KB
ID:	331731  

Name:	thumbnail-2.jpeg
Views:	27
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	331732   Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail-4.jpeg
Views:	27
Size:	165.0 KB
ID:	331733  

Name:	thumbnail-3.jpeg
Views:	31
Size:	166.9 KB
ID:	331734   Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail-5.jpeg
Views:	34
Size:	130.2 KB
ID:	331735  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2021, 05:03 PM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
It will be better then new when your done. You will be using it again in no time.
You should be ready to get out of the heat by now?

Tim
Old 06-11-2021, 05:54 PM   #31

Tim, thanks again. It will be much stronger than the original. I have a tendency to overbuild. Instead of running the curved upright almost all the way across, several blocks for the attachment would have probably been enough. Here is a photo of the repair to the bottom of the center console. The dash is now completed. Thank you Lord for all the help! See photos. This has been an arduous learning experience. Fortunately we have an awesome wood shop in our Encore Park. The way it is put together now, it could probably be completely disassembled is less than 30 min. Now, any equipment that needs to be repaired under or behind the dash will be easy to access. Not sure I would do it over again. It would have probably been much easier in aluminum plate that was hydro dipped with burl grain pattern. Thanks again to all who took an interest.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	thumbnail.jpeg
Views:	36
Size:	149.6 KB
ID:	331785   Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail-1.jpeg
Views:	36
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	331786  

Name:	thumbnail-2.jpeg
Views:	30
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	331787   Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail-3.jpeg
Views:	33
Size:	118.8 KB
ID:	331788  

Name:	thumbnail-4.jpeg
Views:	28
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	331789   Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail-5.jpeg
Views:	31
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	331790  

Name:	thumbnail-6.jpeg
Views:	32
Size:	161.1 KB
ID:	331791  
Old 06-11-2021, 06:52 PM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
All I can say is wow! Absolutely beautiful and stunning job. It’s going to be extra satisfying every time you’re behind the wheel now!

Well done,
Josh
Our 2001 Signature Repairs & Upgrades Thread
JJTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 07:17 PM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
X2 what Josh said. When are you hitting the road? Some place cooler?

Tim
Old 06-11-2021, 09:30 PM   #34

Y'all are very kind. We would like to do New England in the fall, as the DW has never been to the East Coast. Probably a couple of short trips this summer.
Old 06-12-2021, 12:52 AM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Good work.
Old 06-12-2021, 05:20 PM   #36

Beautiful ....Im a butcher of wood. I can weld and fabricate out of metal much better. Give me same band or saber saw even roughed out with a plasma cutter.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 05:46 AM   #37

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notn2bars View Post
Y'all are very kind. We would like to do New England in the fall, as the DW has never been to the East Coast. Probably a couple of short trips this summer.
Awesome job and beautiful woodwork! A few years back, when we had our Dynasty, I recall removing the center-radio panel and reinforcing behind some of the cracking. Just that was way more work than expected. After I put it back, thought about replacing it... never did.

PM me when you are heading to New England in the fall. If we're still up there maybe we can meet somewhere.
Old 06-15-2021, 03:30 PM   #38

Quote:
Just recently completed the rebuild of the dash in our 2000 Monaco Dynasty. It was more than we anticipated and took what seems like forever to finish. Anyway I didn't take a pic of the full dash before beginning. Here is a pic of the center dash panel and the portion of the large panel with the monitor. The other panels were in like condition. Many of the screw holes were cracked with pieces missing. Corners were cracked with pieces missing and etc. Holes had been drilled through the panels and the old fasteners used as bolts to hold the radio and monitor in place. Looked terrible. Although replacement plastic dashes are available we decided we wanted a dash made out of black walnut. Just happened to have some black walnut a friend had given us.
Wow. Terrific job. I need to do my 2002 Monaco Diplomat. Same issues. Thank you.
safwsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 04:48 PM   #39

safwsu, thanks for the compliment. If I can be of any help or you have any questions, you are welcome to pm me. By the way, Black walnut is one of the most difficult woods to bend. If you decide to tackle the project, you might find an easier wood to bend. I have heard that oak is more pliable. Then stain it to the desired color. Good luck and God Bless.
Old 06-15-2021, 07:39 PM   #40

Quote:
safwsu, thanks for the compliment. If I can be of any help or you have any questions, you are welcome to pm me. By the way, Black walnut is one of the most difficult woods to bend. If you decide to tackle the project, you might find an easier wood to bend. I have heard that oak is more pliable. Then stain it to the desired color. Good luck and God Bless.
Yep, oak was traditional for ship-building. I saw a shop in NC that was working on a tall ship use a steam box where they bent a 6" timber like a noodle, no cracking or splintering at all.

Really awesome accomplishment on your part, with a beautiful outcome! I have the same MH, with exactly the same panel (and the same problems. ) When I started reading this thread, I got excited thinking "yeah! I should do that!" - but looking at all the work you did, there's no way. I can just about cut and stain a shelf... this kind of artistry is miles beyond me.
oceansailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 08:53 PM   #41

Monaco Owners Club
Awesome work! Looks great!
Old 06-15-2021, 09:11 PM   #42

Gorgeous

Wow, the work you did was amazing. We have a 2002 Holiday Rambler Scepter and many of the plastic parts are doing the same thing. The other owner thought tightening screws really tight was a good ideal! Just cracked the plastic or broke corners off.
Will have to show my husband and maybe it's something he could do too. We have an amazing wood shop at our winter location at Palm Creek RV Resort in Casa Grande, AZ
Thanks so much for sharing!
Tig70878 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dash