Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-03-2008, 05:08 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
I've read several posts about the Xantrex Echo Charge and have seen the photos of the installs. One photo I saw was on a 07 Endeavor, I have the 08.

So I ordered one, .... Yhea.

But, this morning I'm reading the manual and run across this on pg 154, "while the motorhome is plugged into shore power, or the generator is running, the engine batteries are being charged".

This is a first for me, as I've never owned a MH that would charge the chassis battery(s) from shore power. I've installed either a Trick-L-Charge or a Echo Charge.

My little pea brain wants to say "miss-print", but the Monaco folks are pretty thorough, and I need to be able to trust the manual cover to cover. I'm ready to call tech support, but if they use the book for their reference, I think I already know what their answer will be.

1) Have any of you installed an Echo Charger only to find it not necessary?
2) Would it create a problem or conflict with the existing system if installed in tandem by mistake?

Any thoughts?

2008 HR Endeavor (DIP) PDQ
Corkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2008, 05:08 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I've read several posts about the Xantrex Echo Charge and have seen the photos of the installs. One photo I saw was on a 07 Endeavor, I have the 08.

So I ordered one, .... Yhea.

But, this morning I'm reading the manual and run across this on pg 154, "while the motorhome is plugged into shore power, or the generator is running, the engine batteries are being charged".

This is a first for me, as I've never owned a MH that would charge the chassis battery(s) from shore power. I've installed either a Trick-L-Charge or a Echo Charge.

My little pea brain wants to say "miss-print", but the Monaco folks are pretty thorough, and I need to be able to trust the manual cover to cover. I'm ready to call tech support, but if they use the book for their reference, I think I already know what their answer will be.

1) Have any of you installed an Echo Charger only to find it not necessary?
2) Would it create a problem or conflict with the existing system if installed in tandem by mistake?

Any thoughts?

Old 03-03-2008, 06:29 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">But, this morning I'm reading the manual and run across this on pg 154, "while the motorhome is plugged into shore power, or the generator is running, the engine batteries are being charged". </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Same line in our 07 Dip manual..I did call and was told it was a misprint. My batts would be dead (or at least down far enough not to start) after 3 weeks. No problem after the install of the echo~charge.
SacsTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 06:33 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Corkey... Do you have a build sheet for your coach? If not...call Tech support and have them email one to you. (These are good to have ...no matter what!) I would also ask them if they started putting a chassis charger on in 08 models...

MM

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 06:42 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Thanks, Sacs... I thought that was the case... and I actually have the book out..trying to find where it said that...
Ok...off to pull the hatch cover... Will let you know what I find soon, Babe....

MM

oops..I need to look at Robin's picture!!

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 08:18 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Our 04 Imperial has a solar panel that was an option on new coaches that keeps the chassis batteries up. I was led to beleive that it also charged the coach batteries but that is true only if you have more than one panel. Nice to know the chassi batteries won't go flat courtesy of mother nature.

Ron
Old 03-03-2008, 08:51 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
We also have the solar panel option on our coach with a large solar panel on the roof. It, however charges the house batteries, not the chassis.
SacsTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 09:10 AM   #8

Corkey
Have a 2005 HR Endeavor. Same problem...Installed a Trickle Charge. Problem solved. I have also requested Monaco/HR resolve future problems by installing a fix. Very simple to install. Good luck. Horray for the comming of Spring.

Endeavor 40" PDQ
Gypsies2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 09:13 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I'm having four 120 solar panels installed as I read this thread. Yes they will be for the house through the controller, but from the sounds of things the Echo Charge will be an added bonus. When I get the coach back my plan is to put a voltmeter to it first thing and make sure the chassis battery is out of the loop before installing the Echo Charge unit.

And I will take Monaco Mama's advise and contact tech support for a build sheet. The build sheet will be a BIG help when (not if) I come up with more of these goofy questions.

Old 03-03-2008, 09:33 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
We confirmed with the factory that our 08 Diplomat does not charge the chassis battery as the manual says. Trik-l-charge cured the problem. You would think at this price range they could include a chassis charging circut
Our Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 03:14 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Every other coach I've owned (starting with a 1982 19' Winnie) had some sort of charging-circuit for the chassis-batteries, and I was amazed when my HR didn't have it.

I complained to Monaco Tech and they said they designed the coaches to be used not parked for long periods of time, and therefore the aux-charger was unnecessary. Talked to another person there at another time and he said they'd also prefer to not have the chassis batteries on a continuous-charge because it 'could' cook-off the water faster if sitting for awhile. He added that isolating the battery-circuits helps to let the owner know when the chassis batteries have gone bad and are not capable of turning over the engine when asked to do it, like when way out in the boonies. That all does make sense in a way (especially the last one - to me anyways), but not completely. I'm not convinced either of those is the full reason, however.

So what's the real reason(s)? I think there is someone in Monaco Engineering who has a pretty-good idea as to why they don't include a trickle-charger (we sure got enough other semi-useless stuff tossed into our coaches!) but so far I don't think we've heard it. I don't think it's a conspiracy either, just everyone trying to rationalize an explanation.

The newer trickle-chargers out there now are 'smart' enough to sense when they need to kick in and out so it shouldn't be that big of a deal to splice in 3 or 4 wires if the coach sits for any length of time and runs down the chassis battery.

Fast-forward to when my awning kept slowing to a stop after being used several times while parked (the awning is run off the chassis, as is the step and a few more things beside the engine). Took it to Wildwood expecting to have the motor replaced, but the tech said all he needed to do was add a trickle-charger. And that fixed it. Go figure.

'06 HR Endeavor 40PAQ (Mission Hills decor). All options, but still finding more to add.
ronboc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 05:22 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">...but the tech said all he needed to do was add a trickle-charger. And that fixed it. Go figure. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Just shows to go ya that sometimes the techs are smarter than the engineers.
Robin_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 06:16 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I solved the chassis battery issues by going with a Heliotrope solar controller. http://www.amsolar.com/hpv30.html

The HPV-30DR has the following standard features:

30 Amp Charging Capabilities
(Regulates up to 600 watts of solar input)

Charges both the House and Engine Battery Banks Simultaneously It was pricey, but I have been very happy with it.
Lukeaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 04:51 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Robin_M:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">...but the tech said all he needed to do was add a trickle-charger. And that fixed it. Go figure. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Just shows to go ya that sometimes the techs are smarter than the engineers. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would expect the decision of Monaco to supply or not supply the coach with a trickle-charger for the chassis batteries is budgetary, not engineering.

CC