Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-28-2015, 10:16 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Excellent! Thanks for the picture and description. Mine is not nearly as nicely laid out as that. No spigot, but now I think I will be adding that as well. I see many benefits to having that in place. I am hoping to have my Sani Con placed like the picture shows when I am done. Not sure if there is enough room below my panel (and I am not near it presently). My panel is one solid piece of stainless steel...not easy to cut.

Thanks for all of the input! It is a great help!

Added - I think that one of my grandchildren may have thrown a wet wipe in there (just thought of that). Though my wife insists that didn't happen....it makes sense why it plugged up all of the sudden.
Captjake1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2015, 10:44 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captjake1 View Post
No spigot, but now I think I will be adding that as well. I see many benefits to having that in place.
Yes, it's very handy. I keep a short (about 3 or 4 feet) hose connected all the time. I put a quick connect fitting on the end, and a garden hose pistol nozzle with the matching quick connect, and a quick connect fitting on the black tank rinse input. I use the pistol nozzle for many things, much like people will put a Y connector on the campground pedestal and have an extra hose connected. The advantage to the spigot in the wet bay is that it even works when dry camping using the on-board pump.

When flushing the tank, I snap off the pistol nozzle, and snap the hose quick connect onto the flush fitting.

Quote:
Added - I think that one of my grandchildren may have thrown a wet wipe in there (just thought of that). Though my wife insists that didn't happen....it makes sense why it plugged up all of the sudden.
Like I said, a big wad of tissue can do the same, but backflushing that and giving the macerator another try worked for me. But if it is a wet wipe, you might want to take off the 3" hose, put it in a bucket, then try and backflush it out (letting it go back for another try is unlikely to work.) It's worth a try, as it might save some work getting to the pump itself?
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 12:24 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Just so everybody knows; wet wipes can't go in a holding tank...found the cause...now to get a large sign made . " NO WET WIPES IN THE CAN. THIS MEANS YOU!"

Back flushing produced the evidence. Relocated the unit where it us easier to get to non the future. Not a super clean instalkative but it us better than it was.

Going to buy parts to set up a water spigot next.

Another thread let me know that the sewer output could actually be swiveled around. Big help; I had no idea.
Old 07-29-2015, 03:26 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Yep, that'll do it, glad you found it. I've been tempted to put a sign up: "Only toilet paper and water allowed: anything else going in the can had better have passed through you first!"
Old 07-29-2015, 06:07 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
I don't trust that this is all there is in there. I will get that new stinky slinky and dump it out.
I didn't have time to get the spigot in place today. That is a project for later in the month (though I have all of the parts now).
That darned plastic floor pan in the wet bay is not nearly level. A lot of unmentionable liquid pooled near the back of the compartment. Had to manually tilt the coach to get it drained out.
Old 08-19-2015, 12:59 PM   #20

Freightliner Owners Club
I was camping and went to dump with the SaniCon and nothing came out. I was sure the niece put something wrong in there. Took out the SaniCon system and didn't find any suspicious elements. Was told by my comp host that my tanks were probably impacted.

Had a service come in and he said my tanks only needed to be cleaned. His advice was to buy a slinky and only use the SaniCon as back-up or for a difficult drain placement. He said the SaniCon does not drain fast enough to flush out the stuff. A good 3 inch hose with a fairly full tank will drain fast enough to be self-cleaning. I really liked the SaniCon. It will make for good advertising when I sell.
MJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 02:31 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
I'll give it a few more tries. I have only had the coach for a few months and only had to drain it a few times.

It was scheduled for some repair service right after this happened so I had THEM drain it!

Had a horrible smell in the coach when I arrived. I thought it 'might' be the toilet (doubtful, but it needed to be rebuilt). They said it can't be rebuilt; too corroded. Ordered new toilet today. One of those times when I am totally capable or the repair and/or replacement.... but just didn't want to deal with it any more.

Hopefully get it back next week so we can move on to nicer smelling projects.
Old 08-19-2015, 02:48 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJoyce View Post
His advice was to buy a slinky and only use the SaniCon as back-up or for a difficult drain placement. He said the SaniCon does not drain fast enough to flush out the stuff.
That's one man's opinion. That's the thing about opinions: everyone has one, and if you ask enough people will you will get contradictory answers that cover the whole range of opinions.

With proper operation, the SaniCon does not have to be a death sentence to your tanks. Do you have a built in tank flusher, and do you use it? Do you do the "flush the black tank with the grey tank" trick mentioned in the SaniCon instructions? I do both, and have never had an issue with tank accumulation or blockage - I even use a tank wand down the toilet at the end of the season, and hardly anything comes out (although it does make the tank sensors work properly for a trip or two.)

Used properly, it can and does work well. Used improperly you can have problems. But isn't that true about just about anything?
Old 08-20-2015, 06:27 AM   #23

Ditto ShapeShifter. We've been using exclusively our Sani-Con for 7+ years in our coach. We backflush gray each time we dump the black and about every other month or so use the black tank flusher. I would never go back to the stinky, wet slinky.
Bill767 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 06:10 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Finally go the coach back form the shop yesterday. I have had all of the pats to install a spigot sitting for at least a month now. It took about 1 hour to 'git er dun' last night. . Super easy since I just recently converted to PEX and used Shark Bite fittings.

I told the shop to dump the tanks because I was done dealing with the sh$^& mess. Not sure if they did or not....it's always something. LOL I did get a shiny new toilet though!
Old 09-01-2015, 10:01 AM   #25

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I use a Flo-Jet portable macerator when I need it, else I use the 3" "Stinky Slinky" it is NOT messier than the Sanicon or Flo-Jet macerators in my opinion. But then I grew up on a farm half dairy half swine so I am used to shoveling political promises (that's what you put in the black tank right?) (And that joke is the only political statement I'll make here).

I've had to clean up a few times

Regarding 3" hoses.. there are two I kind of like and one or two I can not afford.

Rinoflex. the ends screw onto the hose then lock so it's not likely for it to come aparet.. MOST hoses the end slips on the fitting and clamps with a hose clamp, these come off easily.

Tethford Smart Hose This one the ends are very well attached. There are issues with this system but when the hose fits.. That's the one I use

Drain Master (I believe) and I think there is one called "Sewer Master" both hoses come with a LIFETIME guarantee.. Of course they run about 150 for a fifteen foot hose.
Old 09-01-2015, 10:28 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiedoke View Post
When dumping, holes in hoses and shoes should be avoided. Here are my dump shoes:
Did they used to be white?
Old 09-01-2015, 05:54 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Finally got a picture of the completed wet bay. Added a small basket shelf to hold my new yet to be used water pressure regulator. Might find a way to hang my short section of hose (for backflushing) in there yet...