RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-28-2018, 12:15 PM   #1

Thermostat/AC help with updates & solution

Long story short, we were plugged in at a camp ground and the camp ground put over 300 volts onto my rv. Burnt up my transfer switch, which was no problem I just bypassed it. But then my zone 2 air quit working. I did the factory reset on my 5 button Duo-Therm thermostat and zone 2 completely disappeared. So I figured control board in zone 2 unit was bad. I replaced it last night, still same thing. I have done the factory reset 10 times and it never recognizes zone 2. I'm tired of this system, can someone either help me troubleshoot it some or just swap it with a house thermostat or another rv type one? Any help is appreciated as its 95* here and I have 2 kids and a very pregnant wife carrying twins that I cant keep cool. Thanks again!
Kyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2018, 01:27 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Which model do you have (the 600 or 630 series Penguin, or the 520/530 series Duo-Therm, or something else?)

Did you set the dip switches on the new circuit board? If that was the board you replaced.

I have a troubleshooting manual but it is too big to attach. If you want it, PM me your e-mail address and I will send it to you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dometic AC dip switch settings.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	260.2 KB
ID:	216718  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Comfort Control Thermostat reset procedure.pdf (32.0 KB, 24 views)
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 01:55 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
I'm a bit horrified that with a 300 v surge to your electrical system, did you just by-pass the transfer switch and plug in again to the same pedestal?

You demonstrate the value of an Electrical Monitoring System(EMS) that would have disconnected way before that voltage would be allowed into the RV.

Since the thermostat is 12v, that surge shouldn't have been passed on to the thermostat. Here's a guide to troubleshooting you HVAC thermostat.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 03:43 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
I'm a bit horrified that with a 300 v surge to your electrical system, did you just by-pass the transfer switch and plug in again to the same pedestal?

You demonstrate the value of an Electrical Monitoring System(EMS) that would have disconnected way before that voltage would be allowed into the RV.

Since the thermostat is 12v, that surge shouldn't have been passed on to the thermostat. Here's a guide to troubleshooting you HVAC thermostat.
No, I didnt just plug straight in after bypassing the transfer switch. I'm a maintenance electrician, I know what I'm doing. We ran off the gen-set all night and the next morning the voltage was down. Kept an eye on it until mid afternoon. Then just moved the wires on the transfer switch to where I wanted them. It's still using the contractor for the gen-set, just while hooked to shore power. And i understand the control box is 12v, it's just that this happened at the same time. So it seemed like more than a coincidence. And that troubleshooting guide doesnt help, as it doesnt do anything for showing me why zone 2 doesnt show up. I'm stumped......and dometic customer service was zero help.
Old 08-28-2018, 04:04 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Kyman,
Double check your Zone setting on the new control board you installed.

They usually daisy chain the RJ11 cord from the front AC to the next and then run a single RJ11 down to the thermostat. Check under the AC unit next to the junction box that the RJ11 plug is not pulled loose or burned through.

If no help, then try running an RJ11 telephone cord direct from the bottom of the AC unit (inside the coach just under the AC unit plugged directly into the RJ11 junction) to the back of the thermostat. You will need to cut one plug off the RJ11 cord and crimp on a new plug with the wires reversed.

Finally, are you sure you used the correct control board for your type thermostat?
Duo Therm adapter kit # 3313107.107 is the adapter kit for connecting a 5-button thermostat to a new generation Dometic AC.

Sure hope this helps!
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 06:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post
Kyman,
Double check your Zone setting on the new control board you installed.

They usually daisy chain the RJ11 cord from the front AC to the next and then run a single RJ11 down to the thermostat. Check under the AC unit next to the junction box that the RJ11 plug is not pulled loose or burned through.

If no help, then try running an RJ11 telephone cord direct from the bottom of the AC unit (inside the coach just under the AC unit plugged directly into the RJ11 junction) to the back of the thermostat. You will need to cut one plug off the RJ11 cord and crimp on a new plug with the wires reversed.

Finally, are you sure you used the correct control board for your type thermostat?
Duo Therm adapter kit # 3313107.107 is the adapter kit for connecting a 5-button thermostat to a new generation Dometic AC.

Sure hope this helps!
I bought the exact control board that was on there already. It does look updated, but still shows the exact same part number.....and I am positive the zone setting is correct. Only because I didnt set the dipswitch to begin with and had to ho back and do it again....lol. I'm trying to find s one ends now so I can make my own cord...thank you for your help!
Old 08-28-2018, 07:06 PM   #7

Rexhall Owners Group
Sounds like you have covered the hard stuff. Any chance thee is no 12VDC going to the new board? I blew a 12V fuse on the board and took longer than I like to admit to find what I did.
PandK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 07:35 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by PandK View Post
Sounds like you have covered the hard stuff. Any chance thee is no 12VDC going to the new board? I blew a 12V fuse on the board and took longer than I like to admit to find what I did.
Fuse tests good. Guessing 12v comes from rj11 cable?
Old 08-28-2018, 09:21 PM   #9

Rexhall Owners Group
Yes, from the RJ11 cable. I'm sure you are already aware its not a standard phone cable.
PandK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 10:06 PM   #10

We have a Coleman Mach Multi Zone unit. One of our AC units blew the start and run capacitors. Replaced caps and then Tstat wouldnít recognize zone 2. Tried reprogramming Tstat, unplugged from wall checked connections 4 times no luck, would not see zone 2. This went on for 2 weeks and then I had another situation that required me to disconnect the batteries. When I hooked the batteries back up Tstat recognized zone 2. I canít explain it since I had the Tstat removed all together but itís been working ever since.
Jthigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 10:27 PM   #11

Starting new thread with new info....
Old 08-28-2018, 10:31 PM   #12

Air Conditioner Help, ***Updates***

Ok, so zone 2 ac not showing up on thermostat after power surge. Changed comtrol box still no zone 2. Tonight, I took a good verified rj11 cable (straight through) and hooked directly to the new control box. Did nothing. Hooked to the zone 1 ac with verified wire and thermostat, it works. Verified 120v @ control box. New control box, new verified cable, straight to thermostat, doesnt work. Now what am I looking for? I'm more confused now than when I started this mess. It's like the control box isnt powering up. I'm gonna take old control box, thermostat, and verified cable to work tomorrow and dissect it some. Any help apprecieted!
Old 08-29-2018, 05:24 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyman View Post
Ok, so zone 2 ac not showing up on thermostat after power surge. Changed control box still no zone 2. Tonight, I took a good verified rj11 cable (straight through) and hooked directly to the new control box.
I'm not sure what you mean by "straight through" cable. The Dometic troubleshooting manual says this about the test cable:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	216804   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture2.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	119.1 KB
ID:	216805  

CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 06:04 AM   #14

Straight through, as in, it's a rj11 cable, but its not a telephone cable that has a pair that are crossed. I was just indicating that I had used the correct cable.

Does the zone 2 get the 12vdc fron zone 1?

Tags
thermostat