Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-02-2009, 08:51 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Thermostat and Auto Generator Start Settings

I plan on several trips this year to California State Parks along the coast. Almost all will be dry camping. I usually stay at full hookup parks but it is time to venture into new territory. Today I tested the AGS with low volatage settings. It worked just fine.

My problem is that I am not sure how to set the thermostat to have the A/C come on while we are away from the coach.

I really need someone to talk me through the steps. I am a bit embarrassed to admit that I bought a coach with most of the bells and whistles but don't know how to work them all. I am getting there just from this forum.

Thanks in advance

Don
PizzaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2009, 10:52 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Don...Are you not sure how to set the AC from the inside wall controls? I want to make sure I am answering with the correct info...

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 10:54 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Yes, it is the inside controls in question. I have the AGS system all set up for auto start, just can't figure out how to set the temp controls on the thermostat

Thanks
Old 05-02-2009, 11:15 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
OK..I believe there are 2 ways to set the Auto-gen start to come on in two different manners...one is if the batteries drop to a certain reading and the other is if a certain temp is reached. (Correct me if I am wrong, guys...)

The inside wall settings should be as follows...
  • Choose your Zone (1 is front - 2 is bedroom)
  • Make sure the switch on the very bottom of the thermostat is switched to on (It switches to the left & right)
  • You need to hit the switch to set the fan speed to "Auto"
  • Push the "Mode" button to AC (You have such choices as: AC - Heat Pump - Furnace - Off and maybe Fan)
  • Set the temp to your desired temp setting
I think that is all. This is from memory so I will go out and double-check tomorrow...

MM
(Drifter or anyone else in their rigs - please correct any errors!)

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 08:08 PM   #5

after setting your comfort controll, make sure you set the temp.adjustment knob on the AGS box where you want it. Make sure the AGS box is set to ATS,(auto temp start), not AGS (auto gen start). This applies to both types, the stand alone system, or the intagrated monitor panal system.
jethro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 09:06 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks MM and Jethro

I re-read the Magnum Operaters Manual. I missed the spot that said to set the air conditioner thermostat to match the AGS "Start Temp" setting.
I like to test things to make sure they work as advertized even tho I may never need them.

Thanks to all
Old 05-04-2009, 09:33 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
I think the auto gen set will turn on when the temp reaches the set temp made to the outside control panel. This will happen even if you are hooked to power. The reading I believe is take from the bedroom thermostat. I think this has been discussed before. Once you have gen power what ever is on inside the coach will have power.
alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 06:37 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I tested this feature and it worked fine. However there is an issue in coaches where the temp is set by the dial on the AGS unit in the inverter bay rather than from the remote control in the coach. The AGS does not sense if you are on shore power or not so when the temp in the coach reaches the temp set on the AGS unit the gen will start even if shore power is on. I spoke to the Magnum reps at the last Monaco rally in Salem and they were offering an up grade to the AGS that let you set all functions from the remote (time of day, quiet time, start temp and run hours) and sensed if there was shore power available. I think the upgrade cost 50 or 100 dollars. Thinks may have changed since then but I would call Magnum tech support they are very responsive.
itdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 07:46 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Dave
You are right about Magnum tech support. I had to call them a few months back when a circuit board in my inverter failed. They are very customer friendly. They also mentioned the upgrade in work.

I disable my AGS when I am on shore power. So that isn't a problem. It is supposed to be nice this weekend and we plan to go to Ventura county beaches. It is all dry camping so this will be the big test of the AGS. My unit is set to 75 degrees and I will set the thermostat the same. This is no big trip for us as Ventura is only a 2 hour trip down the road.

Thanks for the advice

Don
Old 05-05-2009, 04:42 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzaGuy View Post
Dave
You are right about Magnum tech support. I had to call them a few months back when a circuit board in my inverter failed. They are very customer friendly. They also mentioned the upgrade in work.

I disable my AGS when I am on shore power. So that isn't a problem. It is supposed to be nice this weekend and we plan to go to Ventura county beaches. It is all dry camping so this will be the big test of the AGS. My unit is set to 75 degrees and I will set the thermostat the same. This is no big trip for us as Ventura is only a 2 hour trip down the road.

Thanks for the advice

Don
The issue for some of us is that we would like to have the AGS set when on shore power. This is because we leave our pets in the motorhome and would like for the generator to keep them cool if the campground power was lost while we were away. Think I will contact Magnum about the upgrade.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 07:59 AM   #11

I just touched base with Magnum and they are indeed customer friendly..The AGS temp setting in a 2009 coach in the panel is inside the AGS menu..even though there is an old style manual one in the inverter bay it is ineffective when remote is connected.

1. The AGS will not come on at all when plugged into shore power on 2009 models.

2. I noted that my AGS was coming on with the temp sensor because any electrical interference...gen, charger and INVERTER (especially the inverter) make the temp sensor start jumping all over the place..when these are off if you go into the tech screen, you can see the AGS temp reading. When off, it doesn't move...working with Magnum now on it but the fact that the power will come on (and thus the AC if temp is set) if post power goes out, is good enough for me. Hopefully there will be an easy fix for this but if this jumping is normal--it's not the end of the world. My test with AGS temp reading (the old hair dryer trick) showed it reading like it should...
bullydogs1 is offline   Reply With Quote