RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-25-2010, 09:14 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Thermostat & Temp Monitoring

My temp control doesn't seem to regulate anywhere close to what you set the Thermostat for the front of the coach (zone one.) If you run AC set at 82 you will freeze to death in the living room/kitchen area.....

It seems to me that my thermometer probe attached to the bottom of the TV cabinet sitting in the front windows may not be the ultimate spot to get a good reading of the temperature in the front living area of the coach. It's usually warmer or cooler up there, depending on the weather, than the area behind the driving seats.

I'm thinking about moving this Temp Probe back farther in the coach for more accurate readings. Has anyone any experience in moving this? It looks like a simple two wire cord with a small temperature tip of some kind on it. I'm thinking of cutting this wire and splicing in some extra wire to move it.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2010, 12:08 AM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
jeepsrule....I didn't move mine, but I pulled it farther down into the cage and then plugged the hole with putty to keep air from the TV box from hitting it. It seemed to help a little. I also close the curtains when the air is on to keep the heat out and the direct light off of the sensor.

I agree that it was a terrible spot for the sensor.

Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 05:57 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
To test it I pulled it out of it's spot and ran it through the access to the cabinet to the TV's right and have it taped to the side cabinet over the door. Right now the tip kind of hangs out under that cabinet door. It has made some difference, so I'm thinking of adding wire and running it through that cabinet to the back and mounting it on the back of the cabinet above the copilots seat. That will get it out of the big glass area at least. It's a shame they don't mount these sensors in the bottom of a cabinet near the couches or somewhere more in the middle of this living area.

Spring is a beautiful time in Texas but my wife has some pretty nasty allergies so we can't open the windows right now and trying to regulate the A/C is frustrating. it either runs too much or too little.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:34 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
You might be onto something. On my '07 PDQ, the temperature sensor is on the wall above the passenger side upper seatbelt mount. So it is farther back into the living room, just behind the plane of the front seats.

While I sometimes have minor comfort issues in very hot or very cold weather, I'm not experiencing the same issues you are seeing. The temperature sensor location could very well be the big difference.
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 05:52 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShapeShifter View Post
You might be onto something. On my '07 PDQ, the temperature sensor is on the wall above the passenger side upper seatbelt mount. So it is farther back into the living room, just behind the plane of the front seats.

While I sometimes have minor comfort issues in very hot or very cold weather, I'm not experiencing the same issues you are seeing. The temperature sensor location could very well be the big difference.
ShapeShifter, Thanks that's about where I'm planning to relocate mine.
Old 04-27-2010, 12:40 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
jeepsrule.....Darn you....looks like I have another project. I think I might fish mine out behind the cabinet above the passenger's head.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 01:33 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Our front area sensor is located on the passenger side wall above the seat belt wall-mount. We've been happy with it because it is away from the windshield area, but it might possibly be even better on an interior wall. Not sure that would be an easy move though.
GoneFishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 01:42 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplomat Don View Post
jeepsrule.....Darn you....looks like I have another project. I think I might fish mine out behind the cabinet above the passenger's head.
Sorry Don,
But I'm behind the TV right now and I think I've found a way to run the wire pretty easily. I'll keep you posted.
Old 04-27-2010, 02:29 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFishin View Post
That's exactly what I was trying to describe -- that's where it is on my rig.
Old 04-27-2010, 04:08 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
OK Don, this turned out to be a pretty easy move. If a rookie can find this you'll have no problems. I ran my wire from inside the TV compartment over the plastic cabinet liner of the small cabinet to the right of the TV.
-Click image for larger version

Name:	Cab-1.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	3836

Let me back up. I started in the long cabinet over the door (lets call this cab #1). This when opened has the power controls for the awning on the left. There are two screws that hold a plywood cover giving one access to the back of the awning controls. Open this.....

Name:	Cab-2.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	3837

I pushed my wire through behind the awning controls and through the small opening at the end. Then you go in through the small cabinet to the right of the TV (cab #2). There is a cover on the right side of this plastic cabinet liner that once removed exposes wiring,,,, and the wire I just pushed through from the other cabinet.

Now I moved into the back of the TV (love that sitting on the dash working in the back) I pushed a coat hanger through from high in the TV cabinet over the plastic liner of cab #2. Then I could find the other end of the hanger by feeling around in the right side access hole of cab #2. Attached wire pulled from cab #1 to coat hanger and pulled the hanger and wires back through to the TV cabinet. I cut the thermometer end off the wiring and patched in my new wire, drilled a hole in the end of cabinet #1 where I wanted the temp cover to be and hid all my wires inside cabinet #1 by tucking them up between the inside wood and the ceiling liner, closed all the access doors and it's Miller time

I have no idea if I'm doing this right with the pictures so I'll see if they come through when I post this.

Name:	Finished.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	3838
Old 04-27-2010, 04:20 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Wow the pictures worked! So far the probe works well with the A/C. Tomorrow morning when the sun is hitting the front picture windows and warming this area, I'll know if this was worth it. We try to keep the drapes closed but this has become the dogs domain (well he really thinks he owns it all and we are his slaves). In the morning he will take over the drivers seat and then growls until you open the curtains. He loves to sun bathe and protect his coach from all intruders.

Name:	Rascal.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	3839
Old 04-27-2010, 05:49 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Now I need to figure out a nice looking way to cover the holes in the bottom of the TV cabinet. Any Thoughts????
Old 04-27-2010, 07:07 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepsrule View Post
Now I need to figure out a nice looking way to cover the holes in the bottom of the TV cabinet. Any Thoughts????
I know! How about mounting a temperature sensor there?
Old 04-27-2010, 08:51 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
I also have the front sensor located above the seatbelt mount. In addition to the problem with the temperature difference my other problem is that regardless of cooling or heating the AC, Heat Pump and LP Furnace will come on for 2 or 3 minutes then turn off for 4 to 6 then back on for 2 or 3 and continue this cycle. Don't think it's supposed to be like that. Any ideas?

Nonno is offline   Reply With Quote