RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-17-2020, 07:02 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Thermostat Temp Differential Setting?

I'm wondering if the thermostats in RV's have a way to change the temp differential setting. My furnace cycles way too often. I'd prefer it to turn on when temp falls to 63 degrees, remain on until it reaches 68 degrees, and turn back off until the temp drops back to 63. Trying to maintain an exact temp all the time, when it's cold outside, means that the furnace cycles on and off all the time and that can't be good for the life of a system.

Appreciate any input.

I've got the name issue in my house and would love to figure this out.
broadrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2020, 07:30 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
For your house you can get a smart t-stat but the most Iíve seen them adjust for is 3 deg so setting at 72 will let it get to 73.5 then it will run down to 70.5. I am in AZ so it all about cooling here it works the opposite heating but you get the drift,

I have not seen the same for rvís. With rvs I think most of the t-stats are custom for the mfg. so would need to research the t-stats that work with the units. Itís bummer that they can just work with any t-stat you get at the big box store . That I know of.

Ok just had a thought you could get a manual 12v t-stat and have that turn the rv t-stat on and off when the temps get to your set points.
Old 10-17-2020, 09:32 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Good idea. Thanks. I'll look into that. There is a sweet spot with not letting the home/rv get too cool/too hot, depending on whether you are cooling or heating because it takes more energy to reheat/re-cool from too far a distance, temp-wise.

I was just hoping to have it be a 3 degree differential, that way the system isn't constantly turning on and off.
Old 10-17-2020, 09:33 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Oh I agree I have the same issues
Old 10-17-2020, 11:50 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I think most thermostats have a minimum of 3 degrees between heat and cool.
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 04:00 AM   #6
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have found that the thermostat placement can be a problem. Had one in our last rv is a small inset area in a hall. The spread from heat to cold was around ten degrees or more with the heat. Air conditioner doesn't matter. Those run about non-stop where I go.

The thermostat was inset in an area with other switches etc. The heat could not get to the thermostat properly. Removing the mounting from the thermostat it was left dangling just outside the inset area. The thing worked like a charm.

The inset area was almost on a corner so I tried hanging it temporarily around the corner which put it more into the living area. Worked great there so I ran the wires to the newly found location and the thing worked like a charm.

On our current RV. Remote thermostat mounted on outside wall just like the manual says to NOT do. During the day when the sun is on that side the Air conditioner will almost never shut off. Setting the thermostat to 77 for example and the inside temps which are near impossible to get to 72 inside during the day the AC never goes off for more than a minute.

Putting the awning out so that wall gets some shade helps a lot. In the evening with the sun down the thermostat must be set back down to normal settings.

I have experimented with this for years and finally just installed a new sensor inside the rv by letting the little match head portion of the sensor peek out from the front edge of the air conditioner shroud inside. That seems to work much better.

A few weeks ago I had to change our front AC out and went back to the sensor in the wall and have decided I do indeed need to go back to the one I had inside. I'm tired of chasing the thermostat.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 06:35 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun View Post
I'm wondering if the thermostats in RV's have a way to change the temp differential setting. My furnace cycles way too often. I'd prefer it to turn on when temp falls to 63 degrees, remain on until it reaches 68 degrees, and turn back off until the temp drops back to 63. Trying to maintain an exact temp all the time, when it's cold outside, means that the furnace cycles on and off all the time and that can't be good for the life of a system.

Appreciate any input.

I've got the name issue in my house and would love to figure this out.
Not sure where your temp sensors are but first make sure that one of the furnace vents or ceiling vents is not blowing on the temp sensor. That will cause rapid recycling.

Just like Myron we have the temp sensor for the front AC/Furnace mounted in the outside wall above the passenger seat. We would freeze in the summer and burn up in the winter. I tried moving the bulb of the sensor out of the wall with only marginal improvement. I finally purchased another temp sensor complete with cable and connector and unplugged the sensor from the wall and plugged in the new sensor inside the AC unit. I hung it from the ceiling just in front of the front AC unit and that made a huge difference. Since the sensor is now near the ceiling we have to adjust the thermostat to compensate for the air temperature at that height but once you find a point you like everything works great. The sensor on the rear unit is not located on an outside wall and works adequately.

Bob

https://tinyurl.com/y2npuqp5 temp sensor
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Moved temp sensor.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	175.7 KB
ID:	305118  
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 08:53 AM   #8
YC1

Bob, that is precisely where I placed mine and will be connecting it back up once more. I just wanted to test the new AC unit with the old thermostat location.

Is that a silencer box?? Sure looks nice.
Old 10-18-2020, 02:19 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
Bob, that is precisely where I placed mine and will be connecting it back up once more. I just wanted to test the new AC unit with the old thermostat location.

Is that a silencer box?? Sure looks nice.
Myron,

My design for a noise reducer plus replaceable filter.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bottom panel slid out to expose filter.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	305156  
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 05:16 PM   #10
YC1

I knew it would be elegant. Very nice.
Old 10-18-2020, 10:10 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Appreciate the ideas.

I knew that I wasn't the only person that was frustrated with this issue.

Tags
thermostat