Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-10-2016, 08:44 AM   #1

Thetford Tecma silence replacement options

At random times for no reason I've been able to find so far, my Tecma (silence) refuses to do a flush cycle. Then maybe a few hours later it will cooperate, fixing itself. I'm about ready to donate it to waste management as an undependable commode it so so frustrating! What is a good reliable macerator unit that I can slip in as a replacement?

Situation/ symptoms:
A search on this forum shows I'm not alone in these type of problems with this unit. I've checked power, pulled unit from wall/floor and checked / replugged / rezip tied all wire connectors. Swapped labeled fuses I can find in the rear 12v closet. Its gotten to the point where I may do a flush cycle just before sitting down to do business only to have it refuse to flush moments later when I really need it to flush. The two button wall switch is lit with proper green indicator (and indicator sequence green/yellow/red match what my Aladin system shows for the black tank), switch feels "right" when pushing either push button. Water pressure is fine. Plugged into shore power so 12v system is fully charged (13+ volts, typically float charging 13.6 v). At random times when pushing either button nothing happens ... water valve does not open to let in flush water, motor does not run, but I can feel the switch make contact. It just sits there in "silence". Any suggestions?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2016, 12:56 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
[QUOTE=TXduo;3061581] What is a good reliable macerator unit that I can slip in as a replacement?

We have a Headhunter RV/ Boat Toilet from the Monaco factory - not cheap!
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 09:39 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Did you try calling Thetford customer support with your issues? They probably have a solution.
Old 05-13-2016, 10:41 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Agree cal the mfg first - they may be able
To diagnose remotely.
Check connectivity first. Switch to motor
Then verify the switch.
Old 05-14-2016, 12:06 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Mine has been a great toilet for 10 years. Fix it, don't replace it.
Lukeaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 07:42 AM   #6

Jayco Owners Club
This could be a number of things. Wall switch could be one.
Just a warning for anyone that has this unit. Do not put dental floss down the toilet. I had a problem with mine that the motor wouldn't spin. I took the toilet out and found the motor shaft had floss wrapped around it. My wife won't be doing this anymore.
RWeigant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 03:55 PM   #7

I have the same problem as above, but have discovered when air temperature cools down in bathroom it will flush. Drives you nuts when we are hooked up to 50 amp we can run both airs so we never have a problem but on 30 amp we just run the front air and sure enough on the hottest days no flush, wait until temps cool off and it flushes. Must be flush control but I had a new one put in 8 months ago, put 1300 dollars down this toilet this spring and now in August it is starting again.
justrvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 05:59 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXduo View Post
At random times for no reason I've been able to find so far, my Tecma (silence) refuses to do a flush cycle. Then maybe a few hours later it will cooperate, fixing itself.
Replacing the electronic module cured mine.
Old 10-08-2018, 11:27 AM   #9

I'm having a similar problem. My water saver mode works perfectly but the normal mode will only work if I press the button in a particular way. right side of the button works most every time, head on never works, left side works most of the time. So I'm guessing its a button issue not a controller. Question is, can the rubber cover be removed from the button and any chance of finding a fix for that underneath? Thetford is not much help there. They say there's no way to test the switch and 90% of the time its a controller issue. The wall switch is $177.00 and it would be nice if I could find a fix without buying a new switch.
airbeat117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 07:02 PM   #10

Hopefully you will find a way to replace. We have replaced wall button once with factory replacement, and now after 4 more years. It is starting to do what yours is doing. It is just a matter of time and we will have to change it again. Outside of diesel fuel and tires, our toilet is one of our biggest costs.
justrvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 02:03 PM   #11

Yes sure sounds like a wall switch. I just cancelled my order for a new controller ($277.00) which is what Thetford said was most likely my problem. Being that I can get it to work regularly when pressing button in a particular manner really rules out the controller. I will order the wall switch and have it on hand for when it finally fails. Still expensive but not as bad as a controller.
airbeat117 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, ecm, ford, replace, replacement