Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-26-2013, 07:32 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Thetford Toilet Problem

We have a Thetford Model 34425 toilet with foot pedal (still under warranty) but the cable has pulled out of the foot pedal. Looks like the cable is just wedged into the foot pedal. Was just wondering if this was an easy fix or do we have to get a new cable and foot pedal. I would think both would have to be replaced in order for this to be fixed properly. Otherwise most likely it would happen again.

Sure am glad we have 2 toilets
Traps90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2013, 08:03 PM   #2

Thetford doesn't really go by model numbers, contrary to the entire industry, so most likely it's an AquaMagicV.
If it's under warranty, I'd get new parts just cause. Plastic may have broken.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 08:13 PM   #3

Traps: If you are still in Canada call Thetford Canada. They can really help. We had a Pace Arrow that was 5 years old and the toilet went bad. They sent me a whole new toilet. I am afraid that Thetford has gone downhill. Just like their Norcold fridges. The old Aqua magics would go for years.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 08:16 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by moisheh View Post
Traps: If you are still in Canada call Thetford Canada. They can really help. We had a Pace Arrow that was 5 years old and the toilet went bad. They sent me a whole new toilet. I am afraid that Thetford has gone downhill. Just like their Norcold fridges. The old Aqua magics would go for years.
Thanks Moisheh, we're down in the US right now for the winter (Alabama), so we'll see what happens when I call them Monday. Hopefully they send a whole new toilet, but we'll see.
Old 10-26-2013, 08:20 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
Thetford doesn't really go by model numbers, contrary to the entire industry, so most likely it's an AquaMagicV.
If it's under warranty, I'd get new parts just cause. Plastic may have broken.

Sorry should have added that our is the Aqua Magic Style Plus
Old 10-26-2013, 10:38 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Style Plus Parts

Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 04:53 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traps90 View Post
Sorry should have added that our is the Aqua Magic Style Plus
Did I every tell you my Aqua Magic Style Plus story? Go get the popcorn and let me bend your ear. Our toilet gets to the point where you can't fill the bowl with water when your pleasure is #2. You press as lightly as you can but the darn valve still opens and dumps the water into the black tank. Se we are heading to the FMCA International Rally and I figure Thetford is going to be there and we will just sign up for service. So on the morning that you can sign up for service I go early and get in line. Bad thing is everyone wants to get in the Thetford line because they have a NotCold that either does not work or is about to burn their coach down! So the line is long but in my book the old potty is a nice thing to have working correctly so I stick it out. So it finally comes my turn to talk to the Thetford guy and he ask me what I need. I tell him and he says, "we don't work on toilets". I say "WHAT, you don't work on toilets" and he confirms. So then he says you need a new seal, the seal is the problem. So I say "I would like to buy a seal kit" and he says "we don't sell seal kits" and of course I say "YOU DON'T SELL SEAL KITS" and he confirms. So then I ask if he might have one in his parts trailer and he says no they don't bring parts. So at this point I am getting a little pissed and think to myself "what do you do", but let it slide and hang my head and walk away. Needless to say, between my Norcold frig and my Aqua Magic toilet, I don't have much good to say about Thetford.

On a positive note, I stopped at a Camping World and picked up the seal. It was a snap to replace and I did not even have to remove the toilet from the floor. There are four bolts that connect the top half to the bottom half and I just removed them. That allowed me to replace the seal and life is good now!

Sorry for the rant but the Thetford word gets me started,

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 05:00 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodine View Post
Did I every tell you my Aqua Magic Style Plus story? Go get the popcorn and let me bend your ear. Our toilet gets to the point where you can't fill the bowl with water when your pleasure is #2. You press as lightly as you can but the darn valve still opens and dumps the water into the black tank. Se we are heading to the FMCA International Rally and I figure Thetford is going to be there and we will just sign up for service. So on the morning that you can sign up for service I go early and get in line. Bad thing is everyone wants to get in the Thetford line because they have a NotCold that either does not work or is about to burn their coach down! So the line is long but in my book the old potty is a nice thing to have working correctly so I stick it out. So it finally comes my turn to talk to the Thetford guy and he ask me what I need. I tell him and he says, "we don't work on toilets". I say "WHAT, you don't work on toilets" and he confirms. So then he says you need a new seal, the seal is the problem. So I say "I would like to buy a seal kit" and he says "we don't sell seal kits" and of course I say "YOU DON'T SELL SEAL KITS" and he confirms. So then I ask if he might have one in his parts trailer and he says no they don't bring parts. So at this point I am getting a little pissed and think to myself "what do you do", but let it slide and hang my head and walk away. Needless to say, between my Norcold frig and my Aqua Magic toilet, I don't have much good to say about Thetford.

On a positive note, I stopped at a Camping World and picked up the seal. It was a snap to replace and I did not even have to remove the toilet from the floor. There are four bolts that connect the top half to the bottom half and I just removed them. That allowed me to replace the seal and life is good now!

Sorry for the rant but the Thetford word gets me started,

Bob
I'm surprised they didn't offer to give you a black box with a red light for the toilet
Old 10-27-2013, 05:07 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
I'm surprised they didn't offer to give you a black box with a red light for the toilet
That is funny and gave me a good laugh.

Thanks for the chuckle,

Bob
Old 10-27-2013, 09:23 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
We had the ball seal leaking as well and decided to buy a new ball and seal kit. Messy job, but I've done it before so it shouldn't be a problem. Installed the valve, re-assembled everything, and the water still leaked out, albeit slowly. Can't have that, so took it apart again, checked everything, put it back together, still leaked.

Long story short, took it apart, re-assembled everything at least 6 times, still leaked. So I put a drop of food dye, two colors, one on each side and lo and behold it appeared the ball had a very slight flash line, so small you couldn't even feel it with you fingernail. But it was obvious with the dye. Should have taken a picture, but I didn't.

Bought another seal kit, installed it, and it worked perfectly. But if I ever need to replace that seal again, I am REALLY fast now...
Johnontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 10:27 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifter View Post
Thanks Drifter, for sure I would need a new cable, and foot pedal, think I should replace the seal at the same time, we'll see what happens when we call Monaco tomorrow morning
Old 11-08-2013, 09:33 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Well after having a similar experience with Thetford as Nodine, (man they are one stupid and awkward company).
I phoned Thetford with the correct part no, and was informed that they could and would not send me the part to repair it myself. Was informed that I would have to take it in to get fixed at a dealer.

Now that makes a lot of sense, the part cost me $29.oo plus $15.oo for UPS to get it to me at Camping world with new seals. Took all of an hour to fix. I guess in there infamous wisdom it is much cheaper to pay for it to be replaced and I spend over a $100.00 in fuel to take it in.

If we would have been close to a dealer I would have made them pay for the repair just to spite them.

Will say from now on, that I will go out of my way not to buy any Thetford products. Some companies are so stupid it amazes me they can survive.
Old 11-09-2013, 04:32 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traps90 View Post
Well after having a similar experience with Thetford as Nodine, (man they are one stupid and awkward company).
I phoned Thetford with the correct part no, and was informed that they could and would not send me the part to repair it myself. Was informed that I would have to take it in to get fixed at a dealer.

Now that makes a lot of sense, the part cost me $29.oo plus $15.oo for UPS to get it to me at Camping world with new seals. Took all of an hour to fix. I guess in there infamous wisdom it is much cheaper to pay for it to be replaced and I spend over a $100.00 in fuel to take it in.

If we would have been close to a dealer I would have made them pay for the repair just to spite them.

Will say from now on, that I will go out of my way not to buy any Thetford products. Some companies are so stupid it amazes me they can survive.
Trap,

Sorry for your trouble but it is nice to know that I was not the only soldier out of step. Heck, maybe it is Thetford that is out of step and they had better get back in step or the squad is going to trample them.

Bob
Old 11-09-2013, 07:08 AM   #14

Remember that Thetford is the same company that brought us the Norcold 1200!!!
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford