Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-10-2016, 06:57 PM   #29

Sorry. Had 32k on my Monroe's. I've heard they are worn out about 12k.
Good luck with whatever you choose!

2008 Holiday Rambler PDQ Ambassador 360 ISC
2015 Jeep Rubicon
Blue Ox tow Patriot brake
cdinatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2016, 07:26 PM   #30

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had a 2004 PA. It had original shocks in it, had the same issues you are having. Changed out the schools to koni's last year before going to Yellowstone.
Correct air Preassure, good shocks, rode like a million bucks.
New shock will fix most of what you are talking about.
Good luck!!
BlueOx Aladdin Toads: '19 Tahoe, '22 JLU, '17 JKU, IRV3 Brake System
mc4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 11:16 AM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper2 View Post
I replaced my original shocks with Bilsteins then added new Goodyear tires and weighed the MH and adjusted the psi down from 110 set by tire installers to 85 psi. Vastly improved the ride. Good luck!
What Bilstein did you install, regular Bilstein or the ones from Source Engineering?
cpr_vbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 09:47 AM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
Got new shocks from Source. You wouldn't believe the difference they made in the ride and handling. Call Source and get shocks tuned for your coach.
super_rep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 07:20 PM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
I called Source yesterday. The REK is on backorder for the airbags. Should have an update on expected ship date tomorrow. I have 51,000 miles on the coach and regularly inspect my trailing arms, but am very strongly considering replacing with Source trailing arms at the same time as installing the REK. Lot's of $'s but peace of mind and hopefully a better ride.
Old 04-14-2016, 01:20 AM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
Replacing the trailing arm not only will give you piece of mind but also a more stable feel and handling characteristics. I did mine in 2009 on my 2005 Cheetah. No regrets.
Old 04-14-2016, 04:51 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by timdriver View Post
Replacing the trailing arm not only will give you piece of mind but also a more stable feel and handling characteristics. I did mine in 2009 on my 2005 Cheetah. No regrets.
X2 here Hugh. It's worth the piece of mind in my eyes. I think you'll also love the much much softer ride with the rek. I really enjoy the difference it made in mine.

Chad
onechaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 05:42 AM   #36

I think Source only recommends the REK be installed on MH with Source trailing arms. It was one of the reasons I used Source replacement trailing arms instead of the Monoco ones. It makes a complete Source suspension package with a more predicable outcome.
When you see the original arms and Sources side by side you really see the difference.

Rick
captw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 07:11 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugmongous View Post
I called Source yesterday. The REK is on backorder for the airbags. Should have an update on expected ship date tomorrow. I have 51,000 miles on the coach and regularly inspect my trailing arms, but am very strongly considering replacing with Source trailing arms at the same time as installing the REK. Lot's of $'s but peace of mind and hopefully a better ride.
Hugmongous
Unless you remove the shackles, any cracks cannot be seen...
Peace of mind is certainly worth just about everything to me. I think about how I would feel if, God forbid, someone was hurt. Source makes additional products you might want to ask about such as Comfort Air Ride Valves. (In fact, I would appreciate if you do ask about them that you let us know Source's reply) Remember you really need a four corner weighing (at least once) on any rig, but especially an RR4R since its known for poor weight balancing side to side. You cannot use axle weight to figure inflation values if your coach is grossly imbalanced side to side as many RR4R coaches seem to be. Also, once you have the Source arms and REK installed, get a quality alignment. If you are or will be in Florida soon, I highly recommend Josams Home and they have the capability for a four corner weighing. Good luck!
Old 04-14-2016, 12:16 PM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
Update... Ordered the Source Trailing arms and Ride Enhancement Kit. Jim did mention that the comfort ride air valves are not for the RR4R... or at least that was my understanding of what he said... I could have been in mild shock of total $ i'm spending.

Trailing arms are shipping today and REK should ship in next couple of days. I spoke to the shop this morn. Having everything shipped there and plan to have them do both of these at the same time to save labor.
Old 04-14-2016, 08:42 PM   #39

I had both done at once at JoSam in Orlando. Huge difference in ride. They also did an alignment and four corner whieghing. The ride back to NH was night and day different. Part of the smooth ride was probably because of not carrying all that money I left in Orlando.
But it was worth it.
captw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 09:21 PM   #40

Monaco Owners Club
Koni shocks transformed my ride beyond belief!

2006 Monaco Diplomat 40PDQ
ChuckNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 06:09 AM   #41

Hugh
Thanks for the info on the 'comfort air ride valves'. If Josams would do your installation of Source equipment, then it would be a one stop deal along with the best alignment and a four corner weighing. You may determine as we did that due to the heavy passenger side rear, our OEM tires were overwhelmed and needed to be at their limit causing every bump to be felt. We changed tire sizes for more weight capability at lower psi and it really helped our ride. Good luck.
Old 04-23-2016, 06:43 PM   #42

Just made our first run since replacing all Monroe's with Bilsteins. It's an incredible positive difference in the ride and handling.

2008 Holiday Rambler PDQ Ambassador 360 ISC
2015 Jeep Rubicon
Blue Ox tow Patriot brake
cdinatl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shocks