Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2014, 03:13 AM   #1
Retired Senior Member

This is just plain weird!

I have been noticing a puddle of black liquid under the front of the coach at various times for several months. It appeared at unpredictable intervals and was not tied to whether the coach had been driven or just parked under the (open sided) shed. The liquid has the viscosity of water but the appearance of engine oil (solid black). Further, it leaves an oily residue/stain when touched.

There is a built-up section of fiberglass about 15" by 4" by 2" (depth) where the brackets mount to the inside of the generator slide-out cover. The liquid appeared to be leaking out of this hollow section. Yesterday, I drilled an eighth-inch hole near the bottom of the section and sure enough, the spooge came oozing out! What the heck?

I assume rain water to somehow making it's way into that area, perhaps through the bolt holes. What I cannot figure out is what is causing the color/texture. Anyone experienced anything like this before?
RonNBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2014, 04:27 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonNBama View Post
I have been noticing a puddle of black liquid under the front of the coach at various times for several months. It appeared at unpredictable intervals and was not tied to whether the coach had been driven or just parked under the (open sided) shed. The liquid has the viscosity of water but the appearance of engine oil (solid black). Further, it leaves an oily residue/stain when touched.

There is a built-up section of fiberglass about 15" by 4" by 2" (depth) where the brackets mount to the inside of the generator slide-out cover. The liquid appeared to be leaking out of this hollow section. Yesterday, I drilled an eighth-inch hole near the bottom of the section and sure enough, the spooge came oozing out! What the heck?

I assume rain water to somehow making it's way into that area, perhaps through the bolt holes. What I cannot figure out is what is causing the color/texture. Anyone experienced anything like this before?
Ron,

Maybe your generator coolant is Final Charge which has a dark purple color. If it is Final Charge then what you are seeing could be a coolant hose leak on the generator. I had to take the sides off our generator to replace a hose clamp that would not tighten all the way up. Onan used a hose clamp that did not have continuous threads and it would not tighten down far enough. The leak was like what you are experiencing in that it seemed to be intermittent and unpredictable.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 08:50 AM   #3
Retired Senior Member

Bob, I could see the source of the leak from the fiberglass. Thought it may have been dripping down from the dash area above the panel, but when I drilled the hole, the stuff is definitely coming from that "sealed" enclosure. It's not coolant for sure (my second thought, the first being oil leak) due to the smell and residue.

Think I may seal the area with a spray-on undercoating compound and leave the weep hole open.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:18 PM   #4

Just plain weird

RonNbauma;
I noticed you have a 2001 Executive. I recently bought a 2001 Exc. When I bought it I didn't realize that it had a broken kitchen sink pipe. Did you ever have an issue with that part. I guess there was a post about it on the Monacoers web site. I have since fixed it [I think} Seems like when you pull the slide in it hits the bi-fold door and breaks the pipe.

Rdstr29
John
rdstr29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 08:38 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Happened on my 03 Navigator under warranty. i noticed raised area in the fiber glass. Monaco used untreated wood like a 2x4 under the glass to bolt into. The wood gases and rots over time. I was told that some times green wood rather that dryed and treated wood could sneak in.

Dave
dfunde01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 08:50 PM   #6
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:

Hydrolic Fluid?
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 03:31 PM   #7
Retired Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdstr29 View Post
RonNbauma;
I noticed you have a 2001 Executive. I recently bought a 2001 Exc. When I bought it I didn't realize that it had a broken kitchen sink pipe. Did you ever have an issue with that part. I guess there was a post about it on the Monacoers web site. I have since fixed it [I think} Seems like when you pull the slide in it hits the bi-fold door and breaks the pipe.

Rdstr29
John
Yep, mine was cracked when I got it too. This one was the drain pipe. I had a "professional" replace the flex pipe and re-work all the connections. The repair didn't last long. I managed to stop the leak myself eventually. Looks like a pee-poor design as the sliding door section will also crack.

As for my mysterious black liquid, it is still a mystery but I did find that the hose connections to the heater core were leaking coolant. I assume this liquid was finding its way into that mounting panel on the hatch (door, cover or whatever it is called) and somehow entering the open space (which might have had the wood insert at one time). Still haven't proven this theory. Tightened hose clamps and soaked up all visible liquid.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:07 AM   #8
Retired Senior Member

Apparently wood turns into mush after 12-14 years. I drilled into the other mounting plate (which was beginning to show seepage) and the bit puled some soft spongy wood out.

This would seem to indicate that the self-tapping bolts that attach the mounting bracket to the front cowl are only anchored into about an eighth-inch thick piece of fiberglass (and some mush) judging by the drain holes I drilled. What is the prognosis? Wait for the bolts to start stripping out (and the front cowl to fall off) or have this re-worked now? I assume a body shop could open and clean the mounting point and install new boards (or suitable material) and lay a new coating of FG to hold everything together. Anyone else experienced this? How did you fix it?
Old 01-11-2014, 04:09 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I am wondering if it's Tranny fluid, specifically Dextron III..

And before you start to worry about the cost of a transmission repair.. That's not where it comes from.

On many coaches there is a hydraulic system (Jacks and optionally slideouts) and Power Gear puts Dextron III in a steel tank.. The tank is too small. So if you put enough fluid in the tank to turn off the "JACKS DOWN" light/alarm (Which is powered by a float switch in the tank) in January (Today) then come July/August the fluid expands due to heat faster than the tank and the tank overflows. So you get puddles on the pavement.

That said.. There are other possible causes and those need to be investigated before saying you do not have a problem.
Old 01-11-2014, 06:24 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Apparently wood turns into mush after 12-14 years. I drilled into the other mounting plate (which was beginning to show seepage) and the bit puled some soft spongy wood out.

This would seem to indicate that the self-tapping bolts that attach the mounting bracket to the front cowl are only anchored into about an eighth-inch thick piece of fiberglass (and some mush) judging by the drain holes I drilled. What is the prognosis? Wait for the bolts to start stripping out (and the front cowl to fall off) or have this re-worked now? I assume a body shop could open and clean the mounting point and install new boards (or suitable material) and lay a new coating of FG to hold everything together. Anyone else experienced this? How did you fix it?
Ron i think i would try a boat builder or some one used to working with fiberglass and have them to remove the rotten wood and replace it with new wood, this is done on the coast a lot on fishing boats. The fishermen are using a honeycone material a lot now but that would not work for you
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 08:31 AM   #11
Retired Senior Member

Boat-builder, that is a good tip.

wa8xym, my hydraulic tank (for the jacks) is lower than where the moisture shows. I did find a coolant leak that could be the main contributor.