Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-02-2020, 12:12 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
This might be a stupid question but I'm going to ask it anyway.

Ok all you knowledgeable folks out there, here is my question, but I'm pretty sure I already know the answer.
We just bought a 2009 Camelot 42 DSQ and it is in beautiful condition except for one thing. The "Crazing / Cracking" in the paint / gelcoat surface.
On the curb side, especially on the darker surfaces where the sun has beat down on it there is the Crazing / Cracking that I believe is in the gelcoat under the paint. The paint it's self is in great condition, nice and shiny but the cracks look terrible.
Has anyone else had this problem and found a remedy for it?
Is there anything I could do to make this less obvious other than getting a complete new paint job?
I was thinking about giving it a light sanding, 3 or 4 coats of clear, more sanding, more coats of clear and so on till all the cracks are filled in and the surface is smooth.
I'm not about to spend $20,000.00 or more to have it painted, I will live with it the way it is before I spend that kind of money for a re-paint.

Any thoughts or ideas that might work??
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2020, 03:11 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdpuff View Post
Ok all you knowledgeable folks out there, here is my question, but I'm pretty sure I already know the answer.
We just bought a 2009 Camelot 42 DSQ and it is in beautiful condition except for one thing. The "Crazing / Cracking" in the paint / gelcoat surface.
On the curb side, especially on the darker surfaces where the sun has beat down on it there is the Crazing / Cracking that I believe is in the gelcoat under the paint. The paint it's self is in great condition, nice and shiny but the cracks look terrible.
Has anyone else had this problem and found a remedy for it?
Is there anything I could do to make this less obvious other than getting a complete new paint job?
I was thinking about giving it a light sanding, 3 or 4 coats of clear, more sanding, more coats of clear and so on till all the cracks are filled in and the surface is smooth.
I'm not about to spend $20,000.00 or more to have it painted, I will live with it the way it is before I spend that kind of money for a re-paint.

Any thoughts or ideas that might work??
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
A very common problem with the darker color paints on Monaco coaches. I don't think there is much you can do about it short of a new paint job and that will not last unless the gelcoat is replaced. Sorry for the bad news. Sometimes a good wax job will help.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 03:19 AM   #3

The problem is in the fiberglass Has been discussed here and all over the net. The only fix is to replace the sidewalls. Not really a choice.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 05:42 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I have the same issue, and my solution has been to look the other way when I walk by the coach.

Not what you want to hear, but I've done a lot of research on this and Bob's response is pretty accurate .
Old 11-02-2020, 08:43 AM   #5

All of the above. Me, too. Very sad but very true. My only thought is that short of replacing the sidewalls, if I was ok with spending the money I would opt for the repaint and to NOT go with dark colors. As you've noticed, and as our coach validates, the heat is the driver and light colors don't heat nearly as much from the sun. Dark seems to be the "in thing", nowadays, but light is still beautiful.

Again, its a very sad reality. And I don't think Monaco has the patent on the problem. I've seen it on Country Coaches, Newmars, Triple E's and many others.
K7JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 10:10 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Well that's just what I thought but hey, it was worth a shot eh?

A man on a galloping horse would never notice it!
Old 11-03-2020, 06:56 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdpuff View Post
Well that's just what I thought but hey, it was worth a shot eh?

A man on a galloping horse would never notice it!
Speaking of galloping horses my wife and I just love the "Heartland" series and I think are now on season 9 on Netflix's. During the pandemic it has been a life saver since many programs are not on. I figure you are familiar with the series and the filming locations since you are from Alberta. We have been to Alberta and Calgary but may have to go back so we can visit High River.

Bob
Old 11-03-2020, 09:09 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Here's some posts on this subject. I thought I read that the problem was corrected after the 2008 production when mfgs switched to a better substrate under the gelcoat. Lucky you must have got some the last of it.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/gel-...ng-331583.html

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f84/has-...up-235672.html

https://garage.eastwood.com/forums/t...glass-crazing/
DFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 03:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFord View Post
Here's some posts on this subject. I thought I read that the problem was corrected after the 2008 production when mfgs switched to a better substrate under the gelcoat. Lucky you must have got some the last of it.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/gel-...ng-331583.html

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f84/has-...up-235672.html

https://garage.eastwood.com/forums/t...glass-crazing/
Soooo.....after reading some of the above threads and this one also

This situation can go from bad to worse when replacing the vacuum bonded panels as seen here.

https://www.rvtravel.com/thermal899/

Perhaps if need be look into vinyl wraps at especially @ 10 times less the co$t of the repair I posted.

Yes vinyl has a short service life as compared to paint but if it lasts 5-7 years ( my guess is maybe even longer with hand washing with a foamer and rinse with DI water and also limiting the amount sunlight as much as possible a vinyl wrap might be something to consider and in 5-7 years it might be time for a new look anyway because the Dear Wife may want the outside paint scheme on the coach to match her new curtains and carpet

Food for thought.
Old 11-03-2020, 03:47 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodine View Post
Speaking of galloping horses my wife and I just love the "Heartland" series and I think are now on season 9 on Netflix's. During the pandemic it has been a life saver since many programs are not on. I figure you are familiar with the series and the filming locations since you are from Alberta. We have been to Alberta and Calgary but may have to go back so we can visit High River.

Bob

After you have watched all the seasons on Netflix, you can get the last two seasons on Amazon Prime videos. We did.

Ron
OkieSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 08:30 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
I've attached a picture of the side of our Trek when we bought it 6 years ago showing the clear coat peeling off. I used duct tape to jerk a lot of the clear coat off and then had it painted. The area shown was behind the rear wheel well all the way back to the cap. I had the top of the front and back cap sanded and painted at the same time. It's been several years now. The repaint over the crazing still looks good and hasn't cracked or crazed anymore. The cost of painting those areas set me back $3600 at the time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image003.png
Views:	30
Size:	402.9 KB
ID:	306859  
DFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 01:46 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Well I'm not going to spend huge amounts of money on it. I will give it a good power polish and wax job in the spring and call it good.

I can live with it the way it is.
Old 11-04-2020, 02:17 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSVT View Post
After you have watched all the seasons on Netflix, you can get the last two seasons on Amazon Prime videos. We did.

Ron
Thanks for the tip Ron.

Bob
Old 11-04-2020, 02:25 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFord View Post
I've attached a picture of the side of our Trek when we bought it 6 years ago showing the clear coat peeling off. I used duct tape to jerk a lot of the clear coat off and then had it painted. The area shown was behind the rear wheel well all the way back to the cap. I had the top of the front and back cap sanded and painted at the same time. It's been several years now. The repaint over the crazing still looks good and hasn't cracked or crazed anymore. The cost of painting those areas set me back $3600 at the time.
Peeling clearcoat is a different problem than crazing discussed in this thread. Crazing starts as small spider web looking cracks under the surface of the clearcoat. The clearcoat is still in good shape and can be buffed and waxed. We are told that crazing is caused by the gelcoat under the paint. The problem you are describing is very common on all vehicles with a clearcoat finish that spend much time in the sun. I have had to repaint the front and rear caps at the top due to the clearcoat peeling off.

Bob