Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2018, 07:41 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thoughts on ‘99 or ‘’00 Signature

Hi everyone! My family and I are searching for a 40+ foot DP or mid-diesel (Newmar made a few ‘07-‘09) with bunks. Unfortunately quality coaches with bunks less than $70k are more rare than a unicorn holding a needle in a haystack.

I was browsing RV Trader and saw a beautiful ‘00 45’ Sig with a giant walk-in closet in the rear. I think this closet would make a spectacular bunk room for our 4- and 6-year old kiddos and allow them and us privacy for many years. I then proceeded to search for other Sigs and saw 42’ or 43’ with what looks like a very long closet across from the shower which could be made into bunks if the closet is long enough. These coaches are on my radar.

It should be noted that we previously owned a ‘98 40’ American Tradition, and I was thoroughly impressed with the quality of that coach. Conversely, we have spent the last 30 days in a brand new Jayco travel trailer, and we are unimpressed with things falling off the walls. [emoji23]

As with any 18-year old vehicle, one is nearing end-of-life for certain components. I’m not worried about the ISM or generator, but what about the AquaHot system or the HVAC systems? Hydraulic slides? Any quirks unique to Monacos of that vintage that I should be aware of? I did read a thread of slide rooms delaminating due to the rollers. How do you spot this?

Thanks in advance!!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2018, 11:42 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
The 2000 Monaco Signature is a great coach built on a solid Roadmaster chassis. I saw one a few years ago that had the master closet converted to bunk beds. They installed fans and mini TV's and it turned out very nice.
These coaches are going to need some TLC to bring up to speed. Of course the TV's and audio systems need updating. The three AC's (or heat pumps) if not already replaced will need updating.
The air ride system always needs work. The o-rings in the air fittings tend to dry out and start leaking.
Tires and batteries will be a major expense.
If the Trace Inverter has issues it will need to be replaced as parts are difficult to find.
You should go through and change all the chassis fluids. Triple your estimate for this as these coaches have several large capacity systems.

You can look at the bottom of the slide outs (with slides out) and see if there is any delamination. Watch out for water damage.

Watch out for delamination/heat checking on the exterior, especially in the dark colored areas.

The newer the coach you can find within your budget the better. Newer coaches will have more slide outs with more room.

A big plus is the Cummins engine should not have any emission sytems prior to 2003.

Allow for lots of time a travel to find just the right coach.

Another coach that lends itself to bunk bed conversion is the Travel Supreme Select. They have a huge rear closet and laundry area. Lazy Days in FL has actually performed some of these conversions.
Best of luck!
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 12:01 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks, Vito, for the tip on Travel Supremes. I’ll keep my eyes open.

Do you know of any substantial differences between ‘99 and ‘00 Sigs? Different chassis, etc.?
Old 07-24-2018, 10:24 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Only minor differences in the year but some coaches had the early Cummins 450/500 ISM and some have the larger N14 which is the early Cummins ISX engine. The longer wheelbase coaches will have a tag axle and three AC's which is a big plus. As you go up into the early 2000's they will have more slide outs. The more room the better with a family as kids tend to bring friends and they can always use sleeping bags on the floor.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote