Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-05-2013, 01:36 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Thread w/ folks who have sworn off riding in MH's

I just saw a thread (not on IRV2) about MH safety and you would not believe all the responses from people who say they would NEVER ride in a MH due to a variety of safety issues/concerns. I don't mean to minimize any persons concerns regarding safety but it seems to me that folks can over think things sometimes to the point that they are on the verge of being agoraphobic.

Many are worried about flying projectiles hitting them during an accident. This is obviously something to keep in mind when packing the coach but wouldn't this also be the case when traveling on a train or passenger van? How can you be sure that you wouldn't be killed by the guy's bottle of miller light from ten rows behind you (heavy sarcasm here).

I also saw many comments about seat belt safety and whether or not someone should ride sitting (sideways) on the couch. If this is truly unsafe and possibly illegal then why would manufacturers install seat belts in them?

Not sure i would want to be in a Smart Car or similarly small car in an accident either ...(which is why I drive an F-250 and the wife has an Excursion). I have seen many threads about frustrations with Norcolds and Don's great thread about his Samsung Install: I guess one could wonder what would keep them from being dislodged in the forward direction in a major accident. I pulled my Norcold out of its enclosure last year to install a new heat diffuser (spiral looking doohickey) and was surprised how it was held in there with only screws.

I guess I am just a bit punchy when thinking about proper seat belt safety since I just finished building my custom booth/dinette/bed and secured it to the floor below with carriage bolts thinking that was sufficient.

Bottom line - purchasing the MH was one of my best decisions. My kids are young and absolutely love to hang out in it, even when it is parked in our driveway as we live in the country and are way off the road. Being able to show my kids this great country from the comfort of our coach is going to be wonderful and something that they will never forget. I'll be as safe as i can but will roll the dice and enjoy my life.

Happy Independence Day to you all!

-Rob
broadrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2013, 02:16 PM   #2

Rob, these are the times we live in...bottled water, no riding in pickup trucks, can't drink from the kitchen tap, can't drink from a garden hose, can not consider even smelling 2nd hand smoke when outside, can't let a kid ride a bike or play dodge ball, etc etc...BUT the populous wants to legalize marijuana!!!! Sad times for sure!
Old 07-05-2013, 06:04 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
I love living on the edge and traveling in a MH....
conmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 06:50 PM   #4

I will never ride in a MH again!

I did once.
Now I only drive one.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:10 PM   #5

Been traveling in some form of rv since about 1961 Have had two close issues that I was worried about safety. Blizzard going south out of denver in september that went from 50s to 30 and white out and no place to stop on the way up the mountain. I really felt bad for the two couples on harleys. I had a drunk coming wrong way on divided 281 south of austin. I have hundreds of thousands of miles in rvs in 50 years and no citations on my cdl not that i might not have deserved a few. Cautious people tend to drive safely or wifey puts lumps on your head for messing up the cabinets
Dupdyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:25 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
That's great news. Keep all of those people off the road so there's more room for us diehard RVer's to enjoy ourselves without the headaches and worry's about those people being afraid of getting hurt.

More road for us!

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:44 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
I keep waiting for them to require seat belts on my motorcycle.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:36 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
We are all gonna get our ticket punched at some point. I will live my life as I see fit until then - give me an ultra-leather seat, an Allison 3000 connected to a Cummings ISC, and 41 feet of luxury behind me and I will be ok. The DW will not assume control, so I won't ever see the co-pilot seat. I also run with scissors and practice other life-threatening behaviors.
Old 07-05-2013, 09:12 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1skier View Post
We are all gonna get our ticket punched at some point. I will live my life as I see fit until then - give me an ultra-leather seat, an Allison 3000 connected to a Cummings ISC, and 41 feet of luxury behind me and I will be ok. The DW will not assume control, so I won't ever see the co-pilot seat. I also run with scissors and practice other life-threatening behaviors.
Don't forget going swimming immediately after eating a greasy steak and cheese sub :-)

Seriously though, most RV'ers are very selective of when (weather, traffic, etc) and where they drive... kinda like pilots.
broadrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 11:07 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
When your # is up is UP!
Old 07-05-2013, 11:30 PM   #11

Besides that, swallowing small amounts of saliva, over a long period of time, causes death.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 11:37 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Statistically MH's hold up pretty well when comparing accident fatalities not that that is particularly relevant. Every accident and every death is a bad one.

They are outfitted with the legal requirements for the type vehicle, theoretically inspected to meet compliance's. Still as with a lot of issues people imagine all sorts of problems that do not exist, or if they exist seem not to effect the ability of MH's to negotiate streets and highways in relative safety.

I know I drive my MH much more defensively than other vehicles I own for obvious reasons; it is bigger, harder to stop, and less maneuverable.

Most accidents are driver error. Skateboard, or 18-wheeler and everything in between.
Many deaths occur when safety features are not used as required regardless of where they are in a vehicle of any description.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 11:39 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
Besides that, swallowing small amounts of saliva, over a long period of time, causes death.

How much saliva exactly, I might be getting close?
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 12:10 AM   #14

Breathing , causes lung cancer and the alternative is
We are all suffering from terminal cases of life.

All of us can attest to having survived one or more incidents that could have been the end of all our fun, unfortunately we don't get to survive them all.
while you can.