Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-16-2015, 07:52 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Time once again for training the newbie :-}

Scanning the downloaded manual and came across some ambiguous things:
HEADLAMP FLASH?
The headlights must be on low beam for this switch to operate. Press and hold the headlamp flash switch to dim headlights from low beam to daytime running light brightness (approximately 80% of low beam). Daytime running lights are activated with the ignition and cannot be turned off.

Does the headlamp flash button 'flash' the headlights when the lights are off? and this seems to indicate I can screw up low beams even at night ?!?
How do I know what it is set to ?

MARKER FLASH?
..... Pressing Marker Flash with the headlights on will cause all marker lights and taillights to go off.
So again it lets me turn off marker lights and taillights at NIGHT ?!?

Transmission Economy mode:
During highway driving, with the cruise control set between 55 and 65 m.p.h., setting the transmission to economy mode will eliminate about 99% of transmission downshifts from sixth to fifth when incurring a slight incline or overpass.

That sounds really good ! - let's the turbo pull you through the 'slight' inclines, define slight

WOW - a dash display for
ANTENNA UP: Illuminates when the TV antenna is raised. Lower the antenna before moving the motorhome...
Cool !

Now to the Engine...

my datacard from monaco and the original sticker (which the Orig owner had laminated!) says ISL 425... but the manual says:
ENGINE SPECIFICATIONS
ISL 400 HP Cubic Inch Displacement 8.9 L/540 CI
Engine HP 400 HP @ 2100 RPM
Engine Torque 1200 lbs./ft. @ 1300 RPM
Governed Speed 2200 RPM
Firing Order 153624
Rear Axle Ratio 4:30:1

so what do I have and how to verify since Cummins was wrong.

Thanks once again !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00503.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	258.6 KB
ID:	97496  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2015, 09:26 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
Does the headlamp flash button 'flash' the headlights when the lights are off? and this seems to indicate I can screw up low beams even at night ?!?
Yours obviously works different than mine (mine is older.) When I press the headlamp flash button, it turns on the low beams if they are off, and turns them off when they are on. I don't strictly have a DRL, but just my headlights will come on with my wipers (and stay on until I switch the headlights on and off.)

It sounds like yours will only work with the headlight switch on, which I think is unfortunate.

Quote:
MARKER FLASH?
..... Pressing Marker Flash with the headlights on will cause all marker lights and taillights to go off.
So again it lets me turn off marker lights and taillights at NIGHT ?!?
Yes, it will turn off the marker/tail lights at night. That's how you would flash them, since they can't get brighter.

Your best bet is to have a helper in the driver seat while you're walking around looking at the lights. First, look at them with neither button pressed. Then press and hold one button, see what change(s) it makes, then release the button and see that it goes back to the original state. Repeat for the other button. Do all that with the headlights off, then do it again with them on. Once you see them in operation it will make more sense: one lets you signal a truck in front of you, one lets you signal the truck in back as a thank you.

Quote:
That sounds really good ! - let's the turbo pull you through the 'slight' inclines, define slight
They do mean slight. It will tend to make the engine upshift a little sooner, and not downshift quite so readily. The difference will be slight, and you might not notice it unless you are really paying attention. For example, on my coach, with the economy mode light off, I can cruise all day at 55 mph in fifth gear, and it won't upfshift to sixth gear until I get to about 57 mpg. Then, when it does upshift, if I hit a little rise in the road where it needs a little more power, it will downshift back to fifth.

With the economy light on, when I'm cruising at 55, and back off the power, it will be more likely to enter sixth gear. On a slight rise, it will be less likely to downshift, but of course as a result it will be a little more sluggish and harder to maintain speed.

Basically, it just changes the shift points slightly so that it is more likely to be in a higher gear and keep the revs down. It's not a huge difference, and probably won't make a significant change in your mileage. You may notice a difference when cruising right at a threshold speed (like the 55 example above) but at a different speed, like cruising at 65, you probably won't notice a difference.

Quote:
ANTENNA UP: Illuminates when the TV antenna is raised. Lower the antenna before moving the motorhome...
Yes, there is a tilt switch attached to the batwing antenna. When I installed an automatic satellite dish on the roof, I added a magnetic switch to it and wired in in parallel. Now, either antenna being up lights the light. Very handy.

Quote:
my datacard from monaco and the original sticker (which the Orig owner had laminated!) says ISL 425... but the manual says:
Trust your data card and sticker. They are both specific to your particular coach. The manual is generic and covers all coaches. Not everything in the manual will apply to your coach.

I think the original sticker comes laminated from the factory. Mine is also laminated and was clearly never stuck to a window.

Quote:
so what do I have and how to verify since Cummins was wrong.
I ran your serial number in that other thread, and I think it's safe to say that it's a 425 HP ISL. This brochure puts its torque at 1200.
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 09:59 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShapeShifter View Post
Yes, there is a tilt switch attached to the batwing antenna. When I installed an automatic satellite dish on the roof, I added a magnetic switch to it and wired in in parallel. Now, either antenna being up lights the light. Very handy.
Once again - thank you !!!

Now, more details on the extra switch for the Sat dish ? got a thread describing the pieces/ parts and install ?

Thanks again !
Old 06-17-2015, 10:38 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
You're welcome! I'm waiting for the day that you stop putting "newbie" in your posts and you help me out with the knowledge that you are quickly gaining.

I thought I had a writeup of the satellite install back when I did it, but I can't find it here (must've been on a different forum.) But I did write up a lot of the details recently, in this post.

The magnetic switch is an exterior model designed for garage doors, I got it HERE. I didn't use the supplied mounting bracket. Instead, I mounted the magnet to the side of the folding LNB arm, then used 3M VHB grey double stick foam tape to mount the switch to the roof so that it is next to the magnet when the dish is folded. After running the wires to the dash area, I hooked it up so that the switch is in parallel wit the stock antenna switch. The switch I used has three wires: one pair is shorted when the magnet is in place, and another pair is shorted when the magnet is away and open when the magnet is in place. I used this latter pair so the light goes off when the dish is folded and the magnet is near the switch.
Old 06-17-2015, 10:52 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I found my original installation thread HERE. Yep, it was on another another forum. There is some discussion on the previous pages as well, but the link is where the actual installation starts.

Tags