Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2015, 01:38 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
If you look at the following two pictures, you will understand why I started this thread. This tire is my drivers side rear outside and the 4 digit stamp on the all 4 rear tires is 4005.

Guess I'm gonna be spending some money this week .

By the way, thanks for the great participation so far. This is clearly a very important topic.

I wonder if the tires are weaker where the raised lettering is because you will notice in the picture that some of the cracks almost "frame" the words.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1437161488001.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	100412   Click image for larger version

Name:	1437161505480.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	100413  

broadrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2015, 02:44 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Michelin says....

If the cracks are less than 1/32" deep, the tire is fine to run.
Between 1/32" and 2/32", the tire is suspect and should be examined by your Michelin dealer.
If the cracks are any deeper than 2/32", the tire should be replaced immediately.

Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 03:04 PM   #17
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
Michelin says....

If the cracks are less than 1/32" deep, the tire is fine to run.
Between 1/32" and 2/32", the tire is suspect and should be examined by your Michelin dealer.
If the cracks are any deeper than 2/32", the tire should be replaced immediately.

I don't care what Michelin says! Any cracks in my tires are unacceptable!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 03:29 PM   #18

I had one rear tire blowout with tread separation on my previous RV. I had Michelin tires that were about 6-7 years old and they had started to develop sidewall cracks. I had decided that I was going to go on one more trip, then I was going to spend the money and replace all the tires. Got about 10 miles from home when I blew a tire. Luckily, there was no damage to the coach.
dezrtracr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 03:42 PM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Great thread.
Please mention if you had a TPMS when you had a blowout...helps to confirm their importance.

Also indicate if you have a steering stabilizer (like True center).

No tire failures for me yet.
TST TMPS with repeater - TOAD sensors also.

Regards,

Dan
Old 07-18-2015, 07:53 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Since I have to buy tires, wondering what people like. I understand there is never any concensus with tires but still am curious.

The tires I will be replacing are General ST250LP: 255/70R22.5 and I am thinking about just replacing them with the same tire since they lasted 10 years with no issues (other than the cracks I documented earlier in the thread).
broadrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 01:22 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun View Post
Since I have to buy tires, wondering what people like. I understand there is never any concensus with tires but still am curious.

The tires I will be replacing are General ST250LP: 255/70R22.5 and I am thinking about just replacing them with the same tire since they lasted 10 years with no issues (other than the cracks I documented earlier in the thread).
I changed to the 255/70R22.5 and love them. The /70 is a little stiffer side wall so ride is not quite as good but they are plentiful when you need one.

My blowouts occurred on Fridays after 5 and it is extremely difficult to get my older 235/75 on the road. All or my /75s had some cracking so I got rid of them on my last blowout.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 01:33 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Ten years ago I had a dual Michelin blow out and take its mate with it. They were 7 years old and had been stored indoors when not in use. I replaced with Goodyears and a TST TPMS. Now I replace tires after six years.

No more problems.

It was completely controllable and I just let it slow down and drove it onto the shoulder. Found a mobile tire repair service that came out and replaced the tires right there in the ditch.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 01:40 PM   #23

Commercial Member

For those that don't understand that "Blowout" is too often used as a generic term for any tire failure, a more appropriate term is Run Low Flex Failure.
HERE is a post in another thread on iRV2 with pictures and examples of the evidence used by tires engineers to confirm or refute that a tire was run at highway speed with extreme air loss.

Also Billmax had a link to a good movie.

If you Google "Michelin RV Blowout movie" you will find a number of similar movies.
Old 07-18-2015, 01:45 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Having driven many years over the road tractor trailer I know what a blow out is my friend. They go bang! I always check my tires before each trip. I do not run low pressures.
Old 07-18-2015, 01:52 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Can't really help as I've never had one in the 50+ years I've been driving. I keep Michelins on all my vehicles.
I dont understand this post? Why are you posting such irrelevant subject matter on a tire blowout thread if you have not experienced one?
Is your affinity for Michelin tires supposed to the equivalent of some kinda blowout proof cocoon?
WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 01:53 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun View Post
If you look at the following two pictures, you will understand why I started this thread. This tire is my drivers side rear outside and the 4 digit stamp on the all 4 rear tires is 4005.

Guess I'm gonna be spending some money this week .

By the way, thanks for the great participation so far. This is clearly a very important topic.

I wonder if the tires are weaker where the raised lettering is because you will notice in the picture that some of the cracks almost "frame" the words.
According to the date code, your tires were manufactured in the 40th week of 2005, so ten years old. You are running on borrowed time, regardless of the sidewall cracks.
The general consensus is to replace RV / trailer tires when they reach 6-7 years old. Cracks and / or tread depth doesn't matter.
I"ll be replacing ours about 2020, as they were manufactured in 2013 and coach is stored indoors. Also will be adding a TPMS.
Replace your tires before you take another trip!
Happy motoring.
WeBRVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 01:57 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperhawk View Post
Ten years ago I had a dual Michelin blow out and take its mate with it. They were 7 years old and had been stored indoors when not in use. I replaced with Goodyears and a TST TPMS. Now I replace tires after six years.

No more problems.

It was completely controllable and I just let it slow down and drove it onto the shoulder. Found a mobile tire repair service that came out and replaced the tires right there in the ditch.
So which of those things prevent a blowout? Ill give you hint... NONE!

FYI... Michelins have a 10yr lifespan. I for one will never purchase another michelin tire for my RV. Had one fail at 8 years and another at 9. None of the failures were from neglect or the notorious zipper failures. I do think 6yrs is ridiculously early to change tires.
Most folks will replace their rig before multiple sets of tires.
WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 02:04 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeatherTodd View Post
So which of those things prevent a blowout? Ill give you hint... NONE!
Think again. Tires usually overheat from flex prior to blowing and the TPMS monitors tire temps as well as pressure.

There's a hint for you.