Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-21-2015, 02:35 PM   #57

Monaco Owners Club
Ok, so I spoke to a local truck tire shop and having never purchased MH sized tires, they quoted me a price to walk out with "loose" tires, to have them installed, to have them balanced, and for valve stems??? Is this unique to these size tires? It seems like when you take your car in for a new set of skins, the price includes these services, not a-la-carte like I am learning. I am the OP on this thread and clearly understand that my tires are cracking and 10 years old so I need new ones but in truth, they haven't lost 1 PSI sitting in my driveway for the past 9 months. Do i really need new valve stems?
broadrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2015, 02:43 PM   #58

Do you have rubber stems or metal stems? They should be metal according to experts. I personally would put new metal stems on it considering those on it are probably original. If a stem breaks off from fatigue then that is a rapid flat. When I replaced my tires the tire dealer bought my old tires for around the town truck use. Got $125 each for them. If there is tread on them the tire dealer is going to sell them and not throw them away.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 03:43 PM   #59

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks Mike. I have rubber stems. Good tip about the old tires. They always want to charge a "disposal" fee and then probably sell them to someone else like you mentioned. The thing that really gets me worked up is that the tread on the 10 year old tires looks almost new.
Old 07-22-2015, 08:08 AM   #60

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun View Post
Thanks Mike. I have rubber stems. Good tip about the old tires. They always want to charge a "disposal" fee and then probably sell them to someone else like you mentioned. The thing that really gets me worked up is that the tread on the 10 year old tires looks almost new.

Most "snap-in" rubber stems are rated for 65 psi max if passenger type. There are some rubber ones rated at 100 psi (p/n 801HP or 802HP for ,625 wheel hole dia)

Remember the rubber in the valve ages just like the rubber in a tire.

If you have bolt in metal stems it is possible to get just the rubber parts from a large tire dealer sypply company like Myers Supply but not easy to find.
Old 07-22-2015, 09:52 AM   #61

Monaco Owners Club
Roger that tireman. What metal stems do you recommend? Do tire shops typically have an assortment of metal stems to select?
Old 07-22-2015, 12:04 PM   #62

Broadrun
Suggest Dynabeads:
DynaBeads Tire Balancing Beads
Many Monacoers swear by them, as do I, and lots of OTR big trucks/trailers have used them for years. Get a quality alignment as new tires are too expensive to ruin. Josams in Orlando is perhaps the best in the business, and they offer a four corner weighing upon request.
Old 07-23-2015, 08:16 AM   #63

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynnwalter View Post
Broadrun
Suggest Dynabeads:
DynaBeads Tire Balancing Beads
Many Monacoers swear by them, as do I, and lots of OTR big trucks/trailers have used them for years. Get a quality alignment as new tires are too expensive to ruin. Josams in Orlando is perhaps the best in the business, and they offer a four corner weighing upon request.
Thanks. I called the shop and the guy tried to steer me to the standard spin balance instead of Dynabeads which makes no sense based on what you said and what I have read since you brought it to my attention. The guy said that the wheels only really balance properly with Dynabeads after reaching highway speeds. I am going to press on with your recommendation but just one question: can the beads interfere with the valve stem and block the air passage?
Old 07-23-2015, 08:48 AM   #64

Tire Blowout Stories?

RE: Michelin and 1/32" cracks
I don't know a practical way that crack depth can be measured. 1/32" is roughly 30 thousandths (.030) of an inch which is about .75mm..

The worst blowout I have had was on my 1992 Airstream Land Yacht (DP) while towing my racecar trailer to the track in Beloit WI back in 1999.
Mile marker 111 on I-94 to be exact.
I was in the right lane running 60 MPH when suddenly an explosion on the left front made the coach veer left violently. I managed to gather it up and slowly pull over to the right shoulder with minimal braking.
The blowout was so violent that all the tread as well as most of the sidewalls were disintegrated. Our ears were still ringing a couple days later. The only thing left on the Alcoa wheel was a bead on each side along with some of the lateral steel belts running from bead to bead. Tires were Michelin 19.5" and I don't recall the model.
Yes there was a bunch of body damage to boot...
The serial number and dates on the tire were still there and the tires were about nine years old as I recall. I am very anal about checking pressures before each and every trip as well as checking tire/hub temps at every stop..

I have a TST TPMS system on my current rig.

I am also a believer in the 6 year time-out rule.
The last time I had my tires changed out the shop wanted to charge me $10 each for a disposal fee. I said - no problem as long as you let me and my pocket-knife make sure they won't be installed on another vehicle. We agreed that no disposal fee was necessary and actually he even threw in the balancing for free. Nice guy....
In retrospect, I should have sliced the tires and paid the disposal fee because now someone else is probably riding on tires that are timed out..

Don't get me going on the China-Bomb Goodyear Marathons for my car trailer... I'll be here all morning! Grrrrrrr......

Be safe - not sorry... Spend the green on the best tires you can afford. Keep them well maintained and covered when not in use.

Regards - Randy & Dar
2015 F350 CC-DRW-409 Diesel / 2008 Rage'n Stryker 4005 Toy Hauler / 2014 Arctic Cat Wildcat Trail-XT
Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 07-24-2015, 05:26 AM   #65

Broadrun
I have read of some having that problem, but only when using another brand referred to as 'Equal', and it may be due to Equal beads being too small. Wheel weights just balance the wheels but I think Dynabeads balance everything that rotates. You can re-use the beads for next set of tires.
Old 07-24-2015, 02:18 PM   #66

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynnwalter View Post
Broadrun
I have read of some having that problem, but only when using another brand referred to as 'Equal', and it may be due to Equal beads being too small. Wheel weights just balance the wheels but I think Dynabeads balance everything that rotates. You can re-use the beads for next set of tires.
Can't find DynaBeads locally and have an appointment to have the tires installed on Monday. The shop only has "equal" which is sand and I have heard is crap. Some guys have said that they used air soft BB'S which are much cheaper and readily abailable.

Any thoughts?
Old 07-24-2015, 03:06 PM   #67

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun View Post
Roger that tireman. What metal stems do you recommend? Do tire shops typically have an assortment of metal stems to select?
I'm spoiled. There is a large distributor for tire dealers here in Akron (Meyers Supply) so they have lots to choose from.
Really have never heard of problems with metal valve stems. Most are brass or chrome or nickle plated brass. With some it is even possible to get jsut the rubber "o-ring" gaskets so you can replace the rubber parts when you get new tires rather than buy new valves.

Grangers has many on-line

Google is also a friend of mine

you can try "metal truck tire valves"
Old 07-24-2015, 03:09 PM   #68

Commercial Member

RE balance stuff you put inside tires.

I think you will find that if you balance the fronts you will be good to go.
Spin balance with do all the rotating parts and if the shop is competent even find out or round tire or not concentric tire or wheel mounting. Dumping a bag of beads will not find those problems.
Remember you can "balance" a cinder block but they don't ride worth a darn
Old 07-25-2015, 05:31 AM   #69

Broadrun
I had never heard of Dynabeads until a few years ago when the subject came up on the Monacoers blog. A number of those Monacoers were true believers, so I asked my buddy here in town who owns a tractor trailer repair shop and he said he had them on his Camelot and many OTR trucks did also and had been in use by trucking companies for years. Pay attention in the future when in rest areas and if a big truck has no balance weights on its wheels, its likely something is balancing them, so ask the driver about Dynabeads. Call trucking companies, contact the manufacturer of your new tires, etc. Hopefully there will be another set of new tires in your RVing future (seems to roll around too often for my wallet) and you will be better prepared to make a decision about Dynabeads at that point. There is nothing wrong with weights and spin balancing--its just that Dynabeads are better. They don't fall off, don't depend on the skill of the balancer, and can be re-used. They cost me (I think-CRS) around $120 for six tires, so they are not cheap. Trucking companies cut every cost they possibly can as that is a very competitive industry--and many invest in Dynabeads. Good luck and remember to check the DOT dates on your new tires before they remove your old tires. I would only accept tires less than 6 months old, since I am gonna change them out due to age between 5-6 years.
Old 07-27-2015, 05:52 AM   #70

Haven't heard anybody mention it, but there used to be a product on the market called "Centramatic" which consisted of a steel tube mounted on a plate that mounted between the wheel and the hub. Inside that tube, there were steel balls in oil. It performed the same balance function as the beads inside the tire. By the way, when I used the beads on a tire a few years back, there were special valve inserts which kept any beads from leaking because they got some debris caught in them. My tire initially leaked, and the tire shop had to put them in.

Dick L '04 HR Imperial
RCLImperial is offline   Reply With Quote