RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-04-2013, 02:45 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Tire pressure

I check my tires before I hit the road. Here's my question. If I check and fill my tires at 70 degrees outside and the next morning it's 45 degrees, the tires read a lower pressure. Do I refill them again to the proper air pressure? The loss can be 5 or 6 pounds. Of course the opposite is true when going from cold air filled tires to warmer day time temps. Or doesn't it matter. Thanks. Rick

Gorlininc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2013, 03:43 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Good question. Often wondered the same thing. Looking forward to see the answers to this one.

Old 04-04-2013, 04:04 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
After reading all the threads and posts on this subject over time all I can say about this subject is if you have the time to check your tire pressure everyday or several times a day while traveling......... go for it. Myself, I check mine before each big trip which amounts to 2-3 times a year (we use it every week end) and thats it. Like I have posted before (experience from being a over the road trucker) if truckers worried about thier tires like folks in RV'S , our stores would be empty. The question you are asking about pressure fluctuation was engineered into the tire and you need not worry yourself about it. Do a search on here and you will find a lot of reading and opinions on this subject. This is just mine.Set your pressure start it and live it up and have fun.
Old 04-04-2013, 04:14 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
One of the big reasons for a tire blow out is under inflation. I'm traveling 8 months this year. I aired up my tires when I left FL last week. They are now 6 to 8 pounds lower. It's also much colder out here in Atlanta. I'll top them off in the morning before I head to New Orleans. But there has to be a tire expert who can answer this question.
You are right. SomeTruckers don't check their tires. It might explain why they tires are all over the highways. Just saying.
Old 04-04-2013, 04:28 AM   #5

Always check tire pressure 'cold'. Here's a good article and explanation on this subject from Tire Rack: Tire Tech Information - Air Pressure, Temperature Fluctuations
Old 04-04-2013, 04:30 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
I did not say "trucker's don't check thier tires". I just stated that they do not do this check daily with a guage.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:01 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Many opinions concerning recommended tire pressure here goes another one.
After driving truck coast to coast and over mountains we always blew tires to recommended mas tire pressure for the installation of duals as well as singles on the steering axle. Yes, we changed tires when they were worn and generally there was no abnormal wear on outside or inside of tread.
Using this knowledge or experience when we started full-timing 12 years ago I inflated to maximum recommended on the side wall. I personally do not notice any abnormal driving characteristics and most noticeable is the increase in fuel mileage which is around a .5 mpg compared to others with same setup. No my sitter does not recognize any thing like a harsh ride but all units were air ride.
I have yet to wear out any of the tires before they started cracking at the sidewalls. And I suggest one get under the vehicle to check for conditions because I had a inside dual one time at 4 years that had a crack so bad you could put a nickel in it for about 3.
3rd motor-home and first was 52,000 miles on original tires. Second was 127,000 miles and 2nd set of tires. First replaced due to side wall cracks. The present vehicle 26,000 on original tires at 5 years and starting small side was cracks.
While trucking most failures which were on new tires not retreads were the result of running low pressure according to the trucking community.
This is another personal opinion.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:26 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks Newmar for the information.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:58 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorlininc View Post
I check my tires before I hit the road. Here's my question. If I check and fill my tires at 70 degrees outside and the next morning it's 45 degrees, the tires read a lower pressure. Do I refill them again to the proper air pressure? The loss can be 5 or 6 pounds. Of course the opposite is true when going from cold air filled tires to warmer day time temps. Or doesn't it matter. Thanks. Rick
I check mine every driving morning. I check and fill them the day before. I check them at ambient temp then, fill to the pressure they would be if they been at the correct pressure at the lowest temperature of the next 24 hours.

The tire temp measure 70, it will 40 in the morning. My fill pressure at 40 is 105psi. So with the tire at 70F I fill to 108psi.

Altitude is similar. Check your pressure at 8k it will read 4psi higher at the correct sea level pressure.

You must use an accurate tire gauge. There is a good discussion in Class A MH about this.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:18 AM   #10

As long as you have the tires slightly over what your recommended pressures are according to your weight you are safe. So if you are driving long distances with great temperature changes then you should adjust the pressures every morning when they are cool. Being 5-8 psi over is not going to hurt you as bad as being under inflated. If inflating tires to the max pressure wriiten on the sidewalls was the answer then we would have no need to weigh the MH or use load inflation tables. Depending on the weight of you MH and the load range of the tire inflating to max pressure written on the sidewall can give you less traction in the wet because the tire is over inflated and riding on the center only and it can cause a rough ride and wear out the center of the tread. If you happen to luck out and the weight of the MH is close to the max for the tire on the load inflation table then you might get away with it but you have to ask WHY would you do it. Those load inflation tables are around for a reason. Do we know more that what the engineers that designed the tires know?
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:39 AM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
All this discussion impresses on my mind all the good reasons to have a tire pressure monitoring system.
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:02 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimkate View Post
All this discussion impresses on my mind all the good reasons to have a tire pressure monitoring system.
Jim, I'm with you! I have the TireTraker system and I'm depending on it to keep me out of serious trouble! I DO check my pressures with a good quality trucker's tire gauge occasionally, especially when I'm leaving on a long trip.
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:08 PM   #13

Thought more on what I said above so let me try and explain better about why running at the max inflation pressure on the sidewall is not good. So lets say that we have a tire that has a max inflation cold tire pressure written on the sidewall of 120 psi. No if the weight on that tire is such that the load inflation table states that I need 110 psi then running the tire at 120 psi is not that bad. What is the weight on the tire is such that the load inflation table shows that I need 85 psi but I am running 120 psi. The tire that should be at 85 psi is going to have a lot smaller contact patch at 120 psi and is going to reduce traction on wet roads, while in emergency maneuvers, and braking plus is going to wear the tread only in the center of the tire. The tire that is at 120 psi vice 110 psi is close enough so it will not have a great effect. To be correct you need the weight on each tire and run the tire pressure recommended on the appropriate load inflation table
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:25 PM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Mike,
I'm with you on this. Our tires show a maximum inflation pressure of 110 lb. However, the axle weights tell me I should be running 85-90 lb. I run at 95lb. If I try running at 105 lb, the coach rides absolutely terrible, we can feel every crack in the road.

Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote