Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-01-2017, 07:00 PM   #1

Tire Pressure s

The manual and the plaquard in the RV, 2005 Monaco Knight 37PBD, say the tire pressures for the front should be 115psi and 95psi for the double rear tires. All are cold psi and gross weight.

I've been maintaining them at these numbers since I bought the RV earlier this year and have driven it about 4k miles.
The front to rear differential seems like a lot, being 20psi.
Do these numbers jive with everyone else?

BTW, the tires are Sumotomo (sp) and are about 2 year old with less than 5 k Mike's on them. I keep them covered and reguarly spray them down with 303.
surftalks is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2017, 07:05 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Best way to do this is to weigh your rig when it is full and ready to go.
I just did this and found that my front need to be minimum 110 psi and the rears at 100-105. All based on weight.
95psi for the rear seems low, but it might be accurate.
Captjake1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 08:14 PM   #3

95 seems low to me too, that's why I started this thread. BTW, the tire size on the Sumitomo ST727's is 275/70R22.5

When I bought the RV, the dealer said to use the manufactures placarded inflation pressures as they know best. But it does seem low for the rear dual tires on a single axle.
Old 10-01-2017, 08:33 PM   #4

Tire Pressure

Weight the coach and do front and back. Then call your Tire rep and they should be able to tell you with the tire you have and your axle weight a recommended PSI. The info plate on the coach does not know what load range, brand or size tires that are currently on your coach.
Rusty Kramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 09:34 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Craig,
as the others mentioned, get the coach on scales (There is a good write up in your manual to do so!) and adjust according to your travel weight and tire manufacturer. The placard gives you the minimum recommended pressure according to the manufacturer maximum gross weight per axle.
If you carry less weight, you can lower the pressure.

It will also tell you if you exceed your axle weight (Danger)...

On mine, the placard recommends 120-100-90 and, after the scales, the good pressure is 110-90-75.

Have a good day!
Dynasty_09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 09:39 PM   #6

Good advice. Weighed our '06 dynasty, and based upon the true weights and tire manufacturer's recommendation, we carry a minimum of 115 on the front and 80 on all six on the rear. Match the pressures on all two or four tires on any axle. Too little air, more flexing, squirm, uneven tire wear, heating and increased risk of tire failure. Too much air, harsher ride and uneven tire wear. Better to be a little high than a little low, but NOT above the cold inflation limit for your tires and rims. PLEASE give serious thought to a tire monitoring system (TMS). Including your toad, if applicable.

And if you get 20 answers, you are going to get 20 different answers. The above is IMHO, based upon a combination of experience and education.
K7JV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 02:48 AM   #7

Fyi
I have the RVI TPMS system, called TIRE PATROL. It was an ad on to my RVI3 supplemental braking on the toad (2002 Jeep Wrangler) .

It shows all 10 tires on a tablet in a pictorial display of the RV and toad, pressures and tire temps. Allows setting a high and low psi (per axle) with alarms if any are exceeded.
Old 10-02-2017, 04:47 AM   #8

The lower needed pressure on rear is because weight is devided over 4 wheels.
For sakes of roadcurve you then have to use the maximum load for Dual load, , wich is about 9% lower then for single load.
But then even the 4 tires can bare substantially more then the GAWR, for wich the pressure advice is determined.
In this case the front tires have probably yust enaugh maximum load to carry the GAWR front, and for reason so you can use the same tire front and rear.
Loaddivision when GAWR is used to max, is probably about F40%/R60%.

Though its best to weigh as some already mentioned, but as long as you did not do that, you must go from GAWR's (Gross Axle Weight Rating, is maximum allowed weight on axle to law).
You can find those on the same plate as the pressure advices.
When you are looking , also give GVWR ( GVehicleWR).
Then maximum speed you use and wont go over for even a minute.
Then I will google your tiresises, for the specifications, but you can do that more secure, look for something as "maxload ( single , dual) xxxx lbs AT yyy psi ( cold) ".
Speedcode of tire would be handy , but probably not given on sidewall.
For these sises its mostly L( 120km/75m/h) or N ( 140km/87m/h), but less important for determining needed pressure.
If you give all that here, I will put in my made motorhometirepressurecalculator, wich calcs with an even saver formula then the European one , uses since decades for every kind of tire.
I also add a resserve first to the weights for savety margin.
So my advice probably comes to higher pressures then what you give here.
But if real weights are known , my advice also comes to lower pressure.
jadatis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 09:30 AM   #9

Weighed my 2005 Knight several years ago fully loaded and calculated my tire pressure per the manual.

Fully loaded the requirement was 100lbs front and 95 rear. Based on actual weights this gave me a safety cushion of 1,200lbs on the rear but only 640lbs on the front. Better safe than sorry, so I run the fronts at 105 and the rears at 95.
Old 10-02-2017, 10:51 AM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
115 PSI on the front sounds awfully high to me! As others have said, get it to a weigh station and use the tire manufacturer's charts to determine what you need. I add 5 PSI to what the charts say.
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire pressure