Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2014, 05:17 PM   #1

Tires - '06 Dynasty

I know that opinions are like noses in that everyone has one, but if anyone has substantive thoughts regarding wear, reliability and ride, I'd like to hear from you. I have found five tires appropriate for coaches like ours. Like my info box says, we have a 2006 Monaco Dynasty. Also, on a quick search, I've found prices ranging from $440 to $750 per tire.

Continental HSR2 SA
Bridgestone R250F
Michelin XZA2 Energy
Goodyear G670RV
Toyo M144

My experience: We've run the Goodyear G670RV tires on our coach since it was new, 9 years ago. We had to replace the steer tires at about 25,000 miles, and now the replacements are showing the same significant outer edge cupping and an increasing wobble tendency at very low speeds.

All eight of the tires show absolutely zero deterioration from UV from the sun, and they have a great amount of tread left. But at 9 years of age, I'm thinking it's probably time to replace all eight, if I have to replace the front two.

The Goodyear has been a great tire, with the exception of the steer tire wear. By the way, the alignment was checked, and it was within spec, yet they tweaked it to be right on spec, so alignment has not been the issue. Inflation has been kept no lower than 115 psi on the front tires, so I don't feel that inflation has been the issue. I've seen where a number of others have had the same experience with this tire. Our driver and tag tires have a little over 4,000 pounds load on each, while the steer tires have a bit under 7,500 pounds load on each, with the coach fully loaded and wet.

I know I'm opening a kettle of worms, here, but I'm truly interested in knowledgable feedback as to whether any of the above five brands trickle to the bottom of the heap, or to the top of the heap. Right now I'm after quality, and don't want price to muddle the rankings too much. I suspect many may appreciate the comments that come in.

Thank you all, in advance.
K7JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2014, 06:11 PM   #2

You aren't likely to gain much info that you don't already know. Coach owners tend to have strong opinions about tires and you may get testimony about specific circumstances but little quantifiable facts.

All the brands you listed are high quality. Goodyear has a known issue on the steer axle of heavy coaches as you have experienced. I suspect the Michelin, Goodyear and Bridgestone have the best national availability.

I have experience with the Michelin XZA2 and the Bridgestone R250. I have had the Michelin's on my steer axle for 5 years and they are wearing evenly and no weather checking on the sidewalls. The Bridgestones have been on my drive and steer axles for 4 years with the same results. I'm a full timer and the tires are exposed continuously and in all weather. I treat the sidewalls with 303 approximately monthly.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 06:28 PM   #3

Thank you, Steve, and I know that you are right. Most of the opinions and feedback will be more a matter of personal preference than substantive facts.

I really liked our Goodyears, all except for the steer axle wear problem. We had Bridgestones on our '95 Dyansty, but thought they rode kind of harsh. On the ones we had on it, the sidewalls were really quite straight and rigid compared to the curved (shock absorbing?) shape of most of the others. I don't know if that's why they rode harsh, or not. I've always been a fan of Michelin, but don't know how well they do in the type of service we're requiring. They are pretty pricey, and they are pretty pricey, but they sure have a good reputation in the automotive market. I appreciate your comment on them.

And, I REALLY appreciate your comment about availability. I've found the Goodyears really hard to find in the Boise valley. I found them, but the store had to order them in, and I only found one store that even said that they could do that.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see what comes in. True experience facts like what you shared will be the most valuable. Thank you, again!
K7JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 06:39 PM   #4

I purchased a pre owned 2004 Dynasty a little over a year ago. The new tires that were on the coach at purchase were totally awful. I don't remember the brand name but it was some off brand. The deal I made on the coach did not include anything different on tires. I used my Monaco Club Membership for a substantial discount on eight Michelins. I now have less than 10,000 miles on then but they ride and drive wonderful. We just returned from Coos Bay Oregon where we attended the Monaco Pre Rally. Fmca also offers a discount program but at the time I did better with the Monaco program. I think it would be worth your while to check into one of the discount programs. I assume it is still available.

I sold the tires that were removed from the coach to the dealer that installed the new tires.

Good luck on your making your choice.

PAPA "J"
2004 Dynasty Chancellor
PAPA J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 06:41 PM   #5

Hi,
We have an 05 Windsor and I put on my second set of steer XZA's last winter. I kept the original steer GY,S for two years, then the Michelins on the steers since then. The GY's on the rear were replaced in late 2011. I used Continental HSR2's as they were available, very slightly cheaper, recommended by a number of truckers that I talked to on the road, and had the same rating and load capacities as Michelin, Bridgestone, and GY.
My recommendation is to use Michelin XZA Energy on the steer and any other quality tire on the drive axel. Only my opinion and you will probably get a whole lot more. The only reason I didn't get GY,s was I didn't like that they cost me 3 years of use on the steers
Don
D Barber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 07:30 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Michelin XZA2 Energy. (Period)
My coach rides great. Partly because of the Michelins
I have 8. Replaced with 8 due to age
Never a problem. Zero Nada Zilch

My Friends have had multiple problems with good year. You name it they had it.

Lastly I believe that statistics will show more miles and less RV tire failures with Michelin than any other brand.
SSRice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 08:01 PM   #7

If you have 9 years on any of your tires, you need to replace them now.
We have 2009 Camalot with 45000 miles. Always stored inside, climate controle with the original tires and this summer we blew the left steer tire. Right before it blew I checked the tire monitor and it had 130 lbs at 100 degrees. Now our coach is in the shop from the crash with a $65000 repair bill.
I am a beilever. Replace every 5 years.
We are going to Michlen and as big as they will fit our wheels.
PR
promine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 08:15 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I had a very very very bad experience with Firestone on a Class C, 3 blowouts in 1 trip. We installed Michelin all the way around and I liked them but after ~5 years they weather checked badly and I installed Bridgestone which lasted until I sold the RV 5 years later.

I bought a 2002 Monaco Windsor in late 2008. The front 2 Goodyears had a bad wear pattern so I replaced with Bridgestone. These tires now have +40K miles on them and look like new. I installed 4 Bridgestones on the rear in 2011 and they look good now also. I will stick with Bridgestone in the future.

I used a TPMS system and run my fronts at 115 and rear at 95. I inspect the tires regularly and keep them clean. I use Armor All as a protectant but may switch to 303 after doing some research.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 10:33 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Our coach had the original Goodyear tires on it when we purchased it in 2011. The front tires had the rivering and it drove badly. I installed 8 XZA2s through the Monaco owners club and they have performed GREAT. Love the ride, and all tires are wearing evenly.

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 07:55 AM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Fairly recently we replaced our steer tires with Bridgestone R280s. Ride and handling is great.

Jim
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 06:08 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Jim

Good year makes a great blimp but I'm not a fan of their RV tires. I had serious rivering issues and blew out a rear dually (nearly $8K in damage and I had tire monitors--there was no warning). I will never go back to GY's for that application. I went with Bridgestone and have been happy but the Michelins are excellent too.

If you're tires are 9 years old, change them now. Don't wait, it's not worth it.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 08:19 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
I've had Goodyear g670. Switched to michelins on the front. I prefer the ride of the michelins. If you want a round tire get the michelins

Jeff
2001 Dynasty Regent tag axle
Cummins 350 8.3 ISC
Jeff753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 08:00 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
We've been running our M154 Toyo's (6) for 3 years now and are very pleased with them. The price was good too. As stated in another post, when it's time to replace them it will be Toyo unless another manufacturer can beat them by a reasonable margin.
Good luck and safe travels!
BeltoneMagoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 01:25 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Size Matters

All,

I went with the Bridgestone R280's for a few reasons but the main reason was the size. I needed a tire that would fit the rear and clear the trailing arm bolts. I had 275/75's but was able to go to a 295/75 and Bridgestone makes this size in a G and H load range! I went with H and Les Schwab stocks these on the west coast. Made in USA and they were fresh, newly made. I have over 6K on them and they look new steer and rear....
Tomjhall is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires