RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2019, 04:14 PM   #1

Tires-RV versus truck type

I have been looking into buying a new set of tires and a few of the guys in my FMCA chapter said they had bought tires specific to RVs versus a truck type tire. Any information on these types? Are they more expensive and is the ride that much different?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2019, 04:29 PM   #2

Iím no tire expert, but have done some research on this topic.

RV tires have slightly softer sidewalls for a softer better ride. Truck tires, pound for pound, give a harder ride because the sidewalls are stiffer/stronger with the idea that trucks will more often carry at or beyond their load capacity. Itís the nature of the industry to push the limits.

Also, RV tires, and with the manufacturers knowing weíre parked more than travelling, build them with slightly higher chemistry to prevent damage by the sunís UV rays.

Hope that helps.

kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 04:38 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
Many of us have gone with truck type tires and never looked back. If there is a difference in ride quality, I have not noticed any.
US Gear UBS
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 05:40 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleetMan View Post
Many of us have gone with truck type tires and never looked back. If there is a difference in ride quality, I have not noticed any.
I put "truck rated" tires (Double Coin) on my last rig - a 1999 Winnebago Adventurer - and found the ride stiffer and not worth the cash savings. I'll never do that again!!

Yet when I read the reviews (98% truckers), they all loved them.
Just For Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 05:44 PM   #5

In my opinion because it says rv itís gona cost more. I have used truck tires on many motorhomes and have never felt a difference other than more money in my wallet. Haven driven tractor trailers and triaxeles for most of my life Iíve realized that as long as you keep correct air pressure and change them when dot requires you will be fine using them. Keep covers on them if there in the sunlight and I keep the rv on blocks of wood when I store my motor home in the garage on concept
Cdr151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 01:36 PM   #6

This is what I'm going to do the next time I need tires. I talked to the gentleman that answered their phone and he said Michelin Tires for RVs were a waste of money even though they ride a little better some cases but they still need to be replaced every 7 years. I I've never heard of anyone wearing out their tires on a diesel pusher in 7 years. I asked about problems with cheaper tires and he said they have had very few. He quoted me about $2,500 total price for a full set of 6 delivered to a local tire shop , and he pays them to mount and balance them for my 2002 Monaco Windsor 40 PST.
Tires RV sets One price for 6 tires mounted and balanced
Jeff at:
http://www.worldoftires.com/about-us/#
Other 866-501-1998
79cvx20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 04:19 PM   #7

Every poster on this forum swears Toyos ride better than Michelins

And some lower the psig to get a better ride

It would be quite interesting to see some real data on the handling and ride versus the major brands

My Michelin tires ride and handle very well, hopefully down the road I can maintain both qualities when replacing them

I run 110 psig and they run cool also
Old 04-03-2019, 05:40 PM   #8

I just replaced my Mitchelin with Yokohama. First trip was two days ago from Phoenix to Las Vegas on Hwy 93. The road was horrible so canít say for sure but I think the Mitchelin did ride smother and handle better that the Yokohamaís do, but for the money difference the Yokohamaís are not too bad.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 05:45 PM   #9

RV tires vs Truck tires is only a marketing gimmick to get more of your money. Any truck tire will safely run on your motorhome for more miles than you will ever run them. IMHO as a retired trucker
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 04:45 AM   #10

IMHO, you can call them whatever you want, RV or truck tires. After 2 sets of Michelins cracked so bad after a mere 3 1/2 years, I said never again, and installed Toyos, I guess "truck tires". My wife and I both agree, they ride noticeably better than the Michelins after putting 12,000 miles on them, and the steers require a higher pressure than the Michelins still with a better ride.
Bill767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 06:24 AM   #11

I'm a MH rookie, but after 3K+ miles on Toyo M154 tires installed last summer, I see no reason to buy more expensive "RV" tires by Goodyear or Michelin. With the amount of money I saved, I have no problem replacing them at the 6 or 7 year mark or sooner if necessary.
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 08:34 AM   #12

Saying that at 3000 or 12000 miles ďand the are greatĒ is like saying they were great going around the block. Itís the YEARS that matter!
I have 4 new Yokohama tires on my steer axel. I hope they stay this good after 7 years.
My other 4 tires are Michelin, and are still great after 5 years.

https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 02:37 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
Saying that at 3000 or 12000 miles ďand the are greatĒ is like saying they were great going around the block. Itís the YEARS that matter!
I have 4 new Yokohama tires on my steer axel. I hope they stay this good after 7 years.
The ride of the tires typically doesn't change after they are broken in, which is usually a few thousand miles on a car. On an RV I would assume 10k and they are broken in.

Handling will change through out the tread life however. As they wear they have a little less grip, but they also have a little less tread wiggle. And of course rain has an bigger impact on worn tires (and on brand new tires because of the mold release compound..). I can't imagine most RV folks ever pushing the handling of an RV far enough however to see a difference. Now if you are related to Joey Chitwood....
Old 04-06-2019, 08:32 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
Didn't know Tyrell made a motorhome -

distaff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires