RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-16-2014, 09:35 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
To Gel or not to Gel (House Batteries)

Having issues with my wet batteries leaking over the past several years. Batteries are about 4 years old (U2200's). I do have a battery filler that stops at a certain level to avoid over filling. I have modified my inverter (Magnum Pure Since Wave) options to help reduce leakage but to no avail. It appears that all the batteries are leaking. Caps and seals look good. I am thinking of replacing them with Gel type batteries. Has anyone replaced their wet batteries with Gel and how have the Gel batteries performed? We do not do a lot of dry camping as we have done in the past. Acid leakage is starting to eat through battery tray. Appreciate any comments; If you use Gel battery which one did your purchase.
chiefdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2014, 09:51 AM   #2

From what I have read, AGM outperforms gel.

http://lifelinebatteries.com
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 09:58 AM   #3

Here is what they say at Lifeline.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1418745474.335393.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	686.1 KB
ID:	81244
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 11:58 PM   #4

Lifeline batteries are the best thing since fried rice! No off gassing, no leakage, no corrosion in the compartment...they're great.
fiverwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 12:09 AM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Our U-2200's lasted one month short of 10 years and required very little care after I added 4 oz of mineral oil to each cell. We have an old MSW inverter with 3 stage charging. The battery box is almost totally clear of corrosion even after 12 years. I see very little need, for us at least, to use anything but wet cell batteries.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 04:00 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I seriously doubt you can find GEL in the size you need.. They are fast falling out of favor and being eliminated by AGM.

Though OPTIMA confuses folks by calling their AGMs both AGM and Gel depending on which piece of braggware you are reading (BY THE WAY AVOID OPTIMA for other resaons)

Flooded wet cells do leak a little, But there are two things you can do to reduce that.

1: The proper converter.. Mine needed (when new) to be watered annually, as they age they need it more often.

2: Fill level. Many will tell you: Fill to the bottom of the filler tube
(Or Split Ring, those two terms are used interchangably, if you look at the bottom of the tube you will see why)

I, and I think DEKA say 1/8 to 1/4 inch BELOW that. Re-adjust your auto-filler.
Old 12-17-2014, 11:06 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
For me wet cells seem to do the trick, I keep the electrolyte just below the fill tubes about 1/8" below the split rings, been doing that for over 2 years, no leakage, batteries are clean along with the battery box.i try not to use the inverter when I don't have to, genset runs a lot, until quiet hours if need be.
avfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 03:36 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefdave View Post
Having issues with my wet batteries leaking over the past several years. Batteries are about 4 years old (U2200's). I do have a battery filler that stops at a certain level to avoid over filling. I have modified my inverter (Magnum Pure Since Wave) options to help reduce leakage but to no avail. It appears that all the batteries are leaking. Caps and seals look good. I am thinking of replacing them with Gel type batteries. Has anyone replaced their wet batteries with Gel and how have the Gel batteries performed? We do not do a lot of dry camping as we have done in the past. Acid leakage is starting to eat through battery tray. Appreciate any comments; If you use Gel battery which one did your purchase.
My guess is the battery filler is your problem. Many folks fill their batteries until the liquid is just at the notch in the fill ring. That does not provide enough area for the gas to escape and can force liquid out the fill caps. The liquid level should be 1/8 to 1/4 inch below the fill ring providing all the area at the top of the cell for the gas to escape from the electrolyte.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 04:40 AM   #9

I have to agree AGM is the only way to go, from past experience over the years, or at the very lest a sealed up wet cell with no fill openings. I have 8 batteries under the middle of the basement system which could only be serviced at a equipped shop anyway. I did not put in the batteries as it came that way when I bought the coach . Seems I have 4 AGMs and four wet cells the best I can tell looking thru a small hole into the sealed up compartment. Getting access to any wet cells for checking would be nearly impossible . Looks like one day I will need to change all to AGM.
darstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 06:00 AM   #10

I also had tremendous corrosion issues with my wet cells. Replaced with AGM's. Gel cells are not very robust.
Old 12-19-2014, 09:48 AM   #11

Look at Water Mizer battery caps. Stops a lot if not all of your problems with wet batts. I,ve used them for 6 years and my batt compartment looks like new. My current batts 2200 from US Batts all check good so I hope to get 7 years out of them
D Barber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 08:59 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
dont mess with kiddie batts step up to a man sized bat...

Interstate 8D-H8DXMF (MF = maintenence free)
Interstate 8D-XHD
Interstate 8D-MHD
Power Volt V8D-6
Power Volt V8D-7
AC Delco 761A
AC Delco 771A
AC Delco ACD8D36
Auto Zone 8D-115
Auto Zone 8D-1400
Douglas 8D-HP
Douglas 8D-3
Douglas 8D-2
East Penn - Deka 908D
East Penn - Deka 908DMF
East Penn - Deka 908DY
East Penn - Deka 708D
Exide COM-8D
Exide COM-8D-P
Motorcraft BH-8D
Napa 7271
Napa 7269
Napa 7268
Pep Boys 8D-1155
Sears 27091
Sears 27712
Sears 27121
Wal Mart ES-8D
scep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 07:32 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Lifelines are pricey but so far I do like them. Had Mastertech put them in at the Perry FMCA rally last March.

Jeff
2001 Dynasty Regent tag axle
Cummins 350 8.3 ISC
Jeff753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 06:15 PM   #14

I am just replacing my 4 Sams Club Everyready 6v glf cart batts in my Monaco Dynasty ('03). They've lasted over 3 years but I now find they are down to about 25% with a ball type hydrometer. I have to use a CPAP breathing machine at night and found the batteries did not last the night. The heater was running a lot because it was below 32 that night. However, I figure I had better replace and am thinking of Interstate based on some advice from those that should know. I don't dry camp much but if I need to, I would really like the CPAP machine to keep running. Any comments on this would be appreciated. We are now full-timers so are trying to learn better practices as soon as we can. Where do I find U2200 batteries?

Tags
batteries, house batteries