Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-13-2008, 02:26 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
fellow suffering shade tree mechanics..
Has anyone run into this one yet??
While having me do more small projects on the rig, MM happened to mention that the Front Drivers Side running light was not working..Told her I'd take care of it today.
Being a man of my word, I proceeded to try to fix this VERY SIMPLE PROBLEM

First, you need a 14 foot ladder to reach the !@#$ things and then I found this,

an excellent example of how not to seal your lights, no matter how frustated you become trying to fix a recurring leak.
After removal of all this silicone, I pulled out the light housing to find
After another hour of interior part removal, I have found that the ceiling runs all the way forward to the front window and that my hand cannot fit in there anywhere.

Anyway, my question is, has anyone found a way to get up in the front cap??? to access this wiring?
Good news is, they are LED lights and should not give problems, assuming they have wires run to them..
SacsTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2008, 02:26 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
fellow suffering shade tree mechanics..
Has anyone run into this one yet??
While having me do more small projects on the rig, MM happened to mention that the Front Drivers Side running light was not working..Told her I'd take care of it today.
Being a man of my word, I proceeded to try to fix this VERY SIMPLE PROBLEM

First, you need a 14 foot ladder to reach the !@#$ things and then I found this,

an excellent example of how not to seal your lights, no matter how frustated you become trying to fix a recurring leak.
After removal of all this silicone, I pulled out the light housing to find
After another hour of interior part removal, I have found that the ceiling runs all the way forward to the front window and that my hand cannot fit in there anywhere.

Anyway, my question is, has anyone found a way to get up in the front cap??? to access this wiring?
Good news is, they are LED lights and should not give problems, assuming they have wires run to them..
Old 12-13-2008, 03:08 PM   #3

Two thoughts --

1. Find some paint that matches the rig, . . paint over both lights, . . then neither one stands out as being on or off,

(or, since #1 will certainly not pass muster)

2. Perhaps, since the body appears to be fiberglass, you could enlarge the hole to obtain access to the "missing" wire-end(s).

My signature used to include a link to my personal web-site - - - however:
DavidMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 03:32 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had almost the same problem. Fortunately I was able to gain access thru the back of the cabinet.

Good Luck!
Old 12-13-2008, 04:47 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Saw a bigger hole to gain access.

Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 05:03 PM   #6

Had the same problem replacing one of my back cap clearance lights. Ok, I didn't but the repair shop I had chage the light had the problem. Wires just fell back into the cap some where. My understanding is some how some why they fished the wires out.
I would be willing to find out more infor from them if you need help.
Old 12-13-2008, 08:51 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I had this exact same problem on my 5er in the rear cap. One wire let go and fell straight down.

I used a long handle flexible 3 prong nut grabber. It has a knob at the end of the flexible shaft. When you pull it out, it retracts the 3 prongs, grabbing the nut or small part that you are invariably going to drop down in an engine compartment. I bought mine at NAPA.

I taped an small LED flashlight to the end of the shaft. Then with one eye squinting, I went a-hunting. I found the lose wire dangling, grabbed it and pulled it back out through the hole.

Like this:

Claw

Good luck!

Sold: 2007 Holiday Rambler Ambassador 40' diesel Motor Coach
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 09:50 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gordon:
I had this exact same problem on my 5er in the rear cap. One wire let go and fell straight down.

I used a long handle flexible 3 prong nut grabber. It has a knob at the end of the flexible shaft. When you pull it out, it retracts the 3 prongs, grabbing the nut or small part that you are invariably going to drop down in an engine compartment. I bought mine at NAPA.

I taped an small LED flashlight to the end of the shaft. Then with one eye squinting, I went a-hunting. I found the lose wire dangling, grabbed it and pulled it back out through the hole.

Like this:

Claw

Good luck! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The whole procedure sounds akin to performing orthoscopic surgery
psc907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 10:03 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by psc907:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gordon:
Like this:
Claw
Good luck! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
The whole procedure sounds akin to performing orthoscopic surgery </div></BLOCKQUOTE>psc907... OMG ...I about spit out my wine when I read that!!!...ok...back to solving SacsTC & my wiring problem!

MM

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 01:27 AM   #10

if a push comes to a shove, fish another wire from you center markers and tap into them. probably take about 10 min. good luck! and i hope that wine wasn't red jim
beaverjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 09:14 AM   #11
Retired Senior Member

Monaco Owners Club
No brainer Sacs .... sawzall!
RonNBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 09:33 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Bama!!!
Unfortunately, MAMA, aka SWMBO, has drastically cut down my use of the Bright Red Tool anywhere near the Dip.
I did tell her I would just run the wire on the outside of the cap and cover it with white roof sealant though, so we'll see who wins.
Old 12-14-2008, 07:32 PM   #13

I have nothing constructive to add but I do see a close relationship to projects I undertake that are so akin. Like relationships they seem so easy at the beginning but become more and more complicated the further you go with them. Just eat Salmon, its a heck of lot easier and good luck with this!
Phil
motojavaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 09:38 PM   #14
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Ron.....Just hook a couple of small batteries to it and shove them back in the hole. Change them out whenever you drive at night!

After you read this, let Mama read it and watch her face. I'm guessing 30-40 seconds before she puts it all together and realizes that it won't work.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote