Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-24-2013, 06:01 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by texnet View Post
I wired our previous toad with the diodes and everything worked 100% correct. I am 66 years old and have been involved with electronics and cars since I was about 9 years old so I am not afraid to tackle anything that is electrical or mechanical. I am sure they wired at least one side of the harness incorrectly but the fix should be easy as it only takes 2 screws to drop a taillight and the diodes should be right there in the harness. Much easier to fix than replace
Ronnie if he is using a toad brake system that mashes the toad brake the toad brake lights will override the signal lights from the coach, we use a Roadmaster Brakemaster system and the only fix that I know is to install the brake relay that will cut off the toad brake light 12v to the bulb when it gets a signal from the coach brake or signal light, a bulb and socket kit or a light bar without going to the wireless toad lights. I have always used the bulb and socket when I could and when I couldn't I use a light bar.
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2013, 06:49 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
If you are posting about the problem the OP (saduncan1) has, his problem is NOT an override, but that his brake lights on the toad will not come on unless he has the key on and has nothing to do with the signal lights I do not remember what year Fod Flex he has nor how he wired his lights. My 2012 Ford Flex lights work fine with the exception of the toad's light controls feeding back to the coach which is most likely a diode that is shorted or the premade harness I installed was manufactured incorrectly.

The 2012 Ford Flex DOES need the brake relay that you refer to as when the Brakemaster pushes the brake peddle the toads brake lights do override the turn signal from the coach... but that is not the problem that the OP (saduncan1) has.

P.S... he is using a Roadmaster Brakemaster which is what I am also using. I just don't remember how he wired the tail/turn lights.

Thanks for you info, it may very well help someone else

Quote:
Originally Posted by walt2137 View Post
Ronnie if he is using a toad brake system that mashes the toad brake the toad brake lights will override the signal lights from the coach, we use a Roadmaster Brakemaster system and the only fix that I know is to install the brake relay that will cut off the toad brake light 12v to the bulb when it gets a signal from the coach brake or signal light, a bulb and socket kit or a light bar without going to the wireless toad lights. I have always used the bulb and socket when I could and when I couldn't I use a light bar.

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 09:19 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I am getting ready to pull my 09 Flex AWD. As I understand it from the Ford website, you just put it in neutral and leave the steering wheel unlocked. No harm will come to the transmission from doing this? Just curious as to how you are getting along towing your Flexs. Thanks Randy
Old 10-25-2013, 12:09 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
You should have no problem towing the Flex AWD 4 down.

A few suggestions...

1. Purchase a NON-chip key and have it cut for your key. This will allow you to use the NON-chip key to put your vehicle in neutral, then turn the key as far as it will go to the position where you normally remove the key. The key will stop short of the removal slot, just leave it in that position. Using a NON-chip key will NOT allow someone to steal your Flex. A Chip key would !!

2. Install a light harness so your lights work with the motorhome lights.

3. Install a aux braking system. The Flex weights 4500+ lbs and you don't need that extra weight withoug a aux brakeing system. I installed the Roadmaster Brakemaster and it works great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyman1 View Post
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I am getting ready to pull my 09 Flex AWD. As I understand it from the Ford website, you just put it in neutral and leave the steering wheel unlocked. No harm will come to the transmission from doing this? Just curious as to how you are getting along towing your Flexs. Thanks Randy

Old 10-25-2013, 04:02 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Randy i would add a charge line, install a fuse or breaker at both batteries and i would use at least a #10 wire, I towed a 2011 Edge for a while and it needed the charge line pretty sure the Flex will also, i also needed on the F 150. We also use the Brakemaster.
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 05:12 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the info to all who replied. I didn't think anything was still powered when I turn the key back towards the off postition, I will check again to see. Good ideal with the non chip key!! I did install the wiring harness to use the toad's lights, just haven't got to pull it yet to see how all goes. Randy
Old 10-25-2013, 06:21 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
I didn't think anything was still powered when I turn the key back towards the off postition, I will check again to see.
Do you have an auxiliary braking system? Does that draw power?
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 06:50 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
I didn't think anything was still powered when I turn the key back towards the off postition, I will check again to see.
Turn your key off and press on the brake. You should see the brake lights turn on as those are still powered even when the key is in the next to last position. I think that is the only thing that is still powered on, except the bell noise maker telling you that the key is still in the ignition.. .however that will go silent once you close the door.

I just got back from a trip towing the 2012 Flex and never had an issue with the battery so you should be fine if you do not have a charge line.

Old 10-25-2013, 06:53 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShapeShifter View Post
Do you have an auxiliary braking system? Does that draw power?
Some will draw power but it is so small that the toad should not have a problem with the battery unless you towed for many many days and never started the toad.

With the Roadmaster Brakemaster no power from the toad is used unless the break-a-way pin is pulled when the toad breaks loose from the MH... and then you will have more concern than the battery

Old 10-25-2013, 07:51 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by texnet View Post
Some will draw power but it is so small that the toad should not have a problem with the battery unless you towed for many many days and never started the toad.
Yes, and some draw more. Mine has an electric vacuum pump to keep the power brakes charged up, and an electric solenoid to operate the brakes, so the power consumption is not insignificant. Other brake systems can draw quite a lot of power: it's not at all uncommon for people to report that their battery is dead after a day of towing with some of the brake-in-a-box systems.

Quote:
With the Roadmaster Brakemaster no power from the toad is used unless the break-a-way pin is pulled when the toad breaks loose from the MH... and then you will have more concern than the battery
That's good to know, but Randy hasn't responded with the type of brake system he has (if he has one) so we don't know if his system is as miserly with battery power as yours.
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 09:00 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Still researching the brake assist. Haven't towed yet, just was concerned with there being a draw on the battery. I checked last night and when I leave it in neutral and shut the switch off, it does power down everything, so I don't think there will be a draw. Thanks again for all your advice! Randy
Old 10-26-2013, 11:46 AM   #26

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
When towing the brake lights on the towed (Also turn signals) should work off the motor home's system, the position of the ignition switch in the towed should not make any difference to the lights.

Try them when it is properly hooked to the MH

(You do have an electrical umbical to the towed right. If you don't shame on you)
Old 10-26-2013, 12:24 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Still researching the brake assist. Haven't towed yet, just was concerned with there being a draw on the battery. I checked last night and when I leave it in neutral and shut the switch off, it does power down everything, so I don't think there will be a draw. Thanks again for all your advice! Randy
Did you check your brake lights with the key off? I think you will find that they do come on when the key is off and you press on your toad brake pedal. If they do, you will need to install a relay between the brake switch that is activated when you press the Flex's brake. If you do not install the relay then the Flex's brake lights will override the MH signals.

I used the US Gear braking system in our previous Ford Escape Hybrid and loved it. However, the way the floors are on the Ford Flex I would have had to use a least two pulleys and I didn't want to do that so I went with the Roadmaster Brakemaster. While initially I thought it would be a pain to get the electrical and air lines through the firewall it wasn't so bad after I got it all figured out, with the help of some guys on the Ford Flex forums Index page : Ford Flex Forum. I like the Brakemaster, it only takes me about 30 seconds longer to hook it up vs the US Gear. I also looked at the SMI products but there is not much room under the dash on the Flex.

Old 10-26-2013, 12:25 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
When towing the brake lights on the towed (Also turn signals) should work off the motor home's system, the position of the ignition switch in the towed should not make any difference to the lights.
Only problem on the Flex is the brake lights still function with the key off, so a relay must be used on the brake switch to de-energize the brake signal.

Tags
brake, brake lights, lights, toad