Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-09-2008, 11:32 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We use a 2 wheel drive 2007 CRV for a tow vehicle as specified in the Honda Manual. Do not know the requirements for earlier models, but the 2008 is the same as the 2007

UFO Chassis
Lash is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2008, 02:54 PM   #16
rex

Monaco Owners Club
For the past 7 years I have been towing a Saturn SL1. Good car and easy to tow, but it is low to the ground and was getting harder to get into and out of. Checked out the new Saturn VUE and the Honda CRV. The Honda is larger and more comfortable inside than the Saturn. So I purchased the Honda last January and absolutely love the car. Easy in and out, comfortable, rides great, and gets 26.7 highway and 24 in town. I got a good deal when I purchased, but today you should get a much better price.

2001 Monaco Diplomat 40' PDQ - 08 Honda CR-V
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 03:18 PM   #17

Freightliner Owners Club
Lamar:

We have used both methods with good results. Towed a Miata 4-down with Blue Ox equipment for 3 years ( 20k miles). For the last 4 years we have towed an automatic PT Cruiser on a Demco KK460SS dolly (15k miles). Never had a parking, hook-up, etc. problem either way. Loading the PT on the dolly in nasty weather is no fun but doable.

The Miata required some mods for the base plate, wiring, etc. The PT needed nothing. Either way works, but most opt for the tow bar set up.

Good luck.
DeanLinAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 09:02 AM   #18

Looks like most prefer TOW and I second it. I have used both and find the Tow much better. Make sure you get a tow bar that is self centering. Maybe most are that way now, but it is nice when you hook up by yourself.
Old 12-17-2008, 04:18 PM   #19

We have had a 2000 Honda CR-V EX, a 2003 Honda CR-V EX, a 2006 Chevy HHR LT2 and we now have 2008 Honda Civic EX 4 dr sedan that has a 5 spd manual tranny. All have been towed 4 down and with do problems.......We get awesome mileage on the Civic. Like average 38 mpg......
Raca-roni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 05:21 AM   #20

We used to have a dolly. Never could keep the straps on. Five years later we still see dolly hold down straps all over the road and add our own comment on tow dollies. Tow bar all tie time and never look back.
Joe and Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 06:31 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
We have the 2007 Honda CR-V EX and enjoy it, but I do have a few things for you to consider. First, it is a SUV and it rides like one. That is not to say that it is an uncomfortable ride, just that you should not expect it to give you a smooth ride over rougher roads. Another thing we have noticed is that the CR-V has a number of significant blind spots. You can lose sight of cars in the rear pillar areas if you turn around to look back. We still find it a challenge to judge distances when backing it up.

Second, tire wear with the stock tires is not too good. I think we got about 17K miles driving and 10K miles being towed, before needing to replace the OEM tires. In late September, I replaced the tires with Goodyear Fortera Triple Treads, which are highly rated by Honda CR-V drivers... time will tell if it was a good choice, but so far so good.

Third, the mileage is pretty good and we are satisfied with it, but don't expect great mileage driving around town. We have the AWD version of the Honda CR-V and it is rated to get less MPG than the 2 wheel drive. We are not aggressive drivers and have averaged about 26-27 MPG combined city(35%)/highway(65%) driving. However, in town it will easily drop to 20-22 MPG in normal stop and go driving. This is not a complaint, just stating our experience. One time after fueling up we traveled downhill for a few miles. I attained our best MPG so far at 55 MPG. Didn't last long, but kind of fun to see anyway.

That's about it for the potential negatives. The list of positives is much longer, but you didn't ask for those.

Here is a link to an active Honda CR-V discussion group if you are interested.

2007 to 2008 Honda CR-V Discussion Forum

Hope this helps,

Bill

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LamarAt:

So far we have pretty much decided on the Honda CR-V as our vehicle of choice. Does anyone out there have any negatives on this choice?

-Lamar </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 12-18-2008, 03:17 PM   #22

We have only towed four down as my wife would not put her Cadillac STS on the dolly. We have towed a Jeep Liberty, a Suburban and now a Mini Cooper S. I must admit that Mini Cooper is the most fun to drive once we arrive someplace. We can hook up in five minutes or less and we get compliments on the Mini wherever we go. We have run the Tail of the Dragon in TN several times and will be looking for twisty roads in AZ this February. Peace!
Meandering Retiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 04:31 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
The CR-V makes a great toad if you can fit in it. As for me, I could never drive one - not enough leg room. So I tow a Suzuki Grand Vitara 4 wheels down. About the same exterior size and weight as the CR-V but MUCH more room inside.

I think my next toad will be a Ford Flex, which will double as my "every-day car". Can also be towed 4 down. People either love or hate the Flex. I like it - again, for all the interior room. Most leg room, in all three rows, of any car on the market.

Robin
Retiree Wannabe
'07 Diplomat SFT
Robin_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 06:13 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
We tow with a dolly,because our toad is 06 vw Jetta diesel and cannot be towed 4 down ( great mileage-depending on how you drive it-around 48mpg on highway). Ihave towed both ways and it really doesn't matter much to me, dolly is a little more trouble, but I'm no longer in any hurry.

John