RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-20-2020, 08:54 AM   #1

Toad feed back

Hey everyone, looking for a little feedback..Is it insane to use a 1 ton dually as my toad behind a 38 PDQ?? Main reason Im thinking about it is I like to take my Harley with me too when we travel.. Am I just being stupid for wanting to use that big of a truck for a toad?? Anyone else use a 1 ton truck?? Looking for imput, And yes I know my MPG is going to suffer. Thanks for your comments, safe travels everyone
Scot B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2020, 10:48 AM   #2

Although we tow a 4 x4 half ton I have seen one ton duallies being towed. Usually behind bus conversions like a Prevost. I do not know which engine you have but depending on how your truck is equipped it will be about 7500lbs. Plus your Harley. That is a lot of weight. You had better make sure your truck can be towed 4 down. Sometimes the tranny used ina one ton will prevent you from towing
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 10:48 AM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
I have seen a few people doing that. In the end it is what your rig can handle and the cost of fuel.

Verify that your RV's tow bar can handle the weight of the bike and truck fully loaded with at least 20% safety margin. Have a reputable tow shop check to make sure it is properly attached and reinforced if needed.The same goes for the tow bar. Make sure that you have the engine power and trans reliability to handle hills both up and down. Obviously you will have reduced mileage, climbing speed and a larger turning circle.

Once these things are taken care of and acknowledged then you can go for it. The point is to have fun so why not. The alternative is to have a bike carrier added to the back of the RV. That poses rear wheel/axle and suspension weight and adds several feet to the total length. I had considered getting an off road capable Toyota pickup which could hold the bike too.
33' 2008 National Tropical on a Freightliner chassis.RVM#189
Kahoona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 12:32 PM   #4

I hope you have lots of horse power, 400 plus.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 12:44 PM   #5

Why other options do you have for a toad? Some folks use a tow dolly with a deck that can accommodate 1-2 motorcycles and can tow a front wheel drive car with the rear tires on the ground. Or, an enclosed trailer with a smaller car and the motorcycle.
Old 10-20-2020, 01:16 PM   #6

thanks for the info guys..Maybe I should give a little more info. My 38PDQ has a 400 ISL with a programmer, We currently tow a 1 ton crew cab long bed non dually now with my bike. My towing cap is 10k, my tow bar is 10k. my total packed I tow now is 7800lbs. I know a dually is a few hundred more, so Im comfortable Im still good..Just wondering how many people actually tow a rig that big..
Old 10-20-2020, 01:57 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I think the additional info is helpful to all. "38PDQ" is just a floorplan name that was offered by both Monaco, Holiday Rambler and maybe even Safari, so doesn't give us too much info to work with. Sounds like you have a HR Ambassador, Monaco Diplomat or something along those lines.

At the end of the day, if the numbers are good and it all looks safe to do, I say go for it! It's your rig, truck, and trip...who cares what others think .

My only thought was similar to others, make sure the dually is approved to be flat towed 4 wheels down. It is important to confirm your configuration is towable, since often these trucks can be quipped with different axles, transfer cases and so on.

All the best! Would certainly look like a cool setup going down the road to me!
Josh
Our 2001 Signature Repairs & Upgrades Thread
JJTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 03:29 PM   #8

According to the owners manual I downloaded online, this truck that I am looking at can me towed 4 wheels down. My current truck has a manual transfer case, the other truck has an electronic one. So as long as I can verify that the transfer case does have a neutral. I believe I am good..anyone have any other info??..the other truck is a 2007 chevy 3500 with a 6.6L and a 4wd dually. thanks for the input

PS, yes it is a 2007 Monaco Diplomat
Old 10-20-2020, 04:11 PM   #9

We were in an RV resort in Spearfish, S.D. and a Prevost pulled in with an enclosed car trailer behind it. Inside he had a workshop, a new Corvette and up above in the overhead he had a Honda Trike. The best part of his setup was when he opened the rear gate everything inside was super clean. That's what I would opt for if I had that kind of cash to spend.
Socaltoolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 09:10 PM   #10

38' with 400, I think your good to go.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 11:30 AM   #11

On a positive note if you can't get traction you may be able pull stuck MH out with 1ton 4x4.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 02:38 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Dont forget your receiver and riser ratings

I have a 36ft pdq. I believe you should be able to tow 10k. Just remember you will need a 10k rated receiver and/or riser. Check your tow bar to see if it has a limit between you hitch height on the motorhome and the connector height on the dually truck. If the towbar angles down too much it can cause.wear and problems ( hence the riser) mine is recommended to be no more than 3 inches and I have a 4 inch riser to work with a jeep wrangler. Also check your weight without the truck before you commit (cat scales are 12 bucks and give you each axel weight.) You dont want to exceed your max combined vehicle weight or your rear axel weight so check it when loaded as you were going to camp. I think your coach can pull it just make sure you get the properly rated equipment and adapters and safety cables also to be safe.
Hope it helps.
jcrowder3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 07:44 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scot B. View Post
Hey everyone, looking for a little feedback..Is it insane to use a 1 ton dually as my toad behind a 38 PDQ?? Main reason Im thinking about it is I like to take my Harley with me too when we travel.. Am I just being stupid for wanting to use that big of a truck for a toad?? Anyone else use a 1 ton truck?? Looking for imput, And yes I know my MPG is going to suffer. Thanks for your comments, safe travels everyone
Until recently I towed my 2013 Crew Cab which is about 6000 lbs. We have the same engine and I know the ISL in the Diplomat does not have an engine brake. All I can say is you better make damn sure you have working supplemental brakes on the truck/Harley combination.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 11:40 AM   #14

People will think someone is giving you a push start LOL
RamiDav is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad