Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-03-2013, 04:30 PM   #43

Vintage RV Owners Club
If the tires are old but still look O.K. and you just want to get it home 'til you can change them:

Back roads, slow speeds, and a spare or roadside assistance available, just in case- I think you'd be O.K...

But you may NOT have the baby in the rig!!!!

Sorry...I can't help myself....My grandkids always tell me that I'm "SUCH a Grandma!!!"

Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2013, 04:59 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post
If the tires are old but still look O.K. and you just want to get it home 'til you can change them:

Back roads, slow speeds, and a spare or roadside assistance available, just in case- I think you'd be O.K...

But you may NOT have the baby in the rig!!!!

Sorry...I can't help myself....My grandkids always tell me that I'm "SUCH a Grandma!!!"

Nope, baby is not going. Here in Southern California there are no such things as back roads, I'll have to take the freeway and at the minimum go 55mph.
Zoafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:13 PM   #45

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoafan View Post
Nope, baby is not going. Here in Southern California there are no such things as back roads, I'll have to take the freeway and at the minimum go 55mph.
hmmm...SoCal, eh? Guess I missed that before.

It occurs to me that while we've been talking a lot about specifics of the rig you're looking at, there's really been no conversation at all as to what you're going to do with it!

Something you may/may not have considered is a subject of much discussion here- the fact of the increasing number of private parks that restrict Rv's to those ten years old or newer. It's not real common (yet) where I live, but it looks like it's something you're more likely to encounter in your neck of the woods, at least per the following post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnebeater View Post
last year while planning our trip to southern California we called more than 10 locations near Disneyland and about 6-7 locations near the San Diego Zoo before finding a place to camp. These were all reservations for 3 days or less. My motor home does not look unacceptable, there is no duct tape, I do not have a swamp cooler hanging out of any windows. In fact my motor home look pretty good and other think so because I get complements quite a bit about the condition. .
Just thought you may want to consider that if you haven't already...here's a
link to the current discussion, in case you missed it and are interested.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:25 PM   #46

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoafan
Thanks! We're excited and hopefully the deal goes through and it isn't sold before we can get there Saturday. The interior of the coach is one of the best parts. As soon as we started looking at MH my wife said she now knows where all grandparents couches go. It made me chuckle.

Here is a shot of the updated interior:

Most of the deals we found were out of state, we are excited and lucky that this one is roughly an hour away from us.
Can you let me know the manufacture and model of the couches? Thanks. Looks nice!!

Jeff
Jeff753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:28 PM   #47

Quote:
hmmm...SoCal, eh? Guess I missed that before.

It occurs to me that while we've been talking a lot about specifics of the rig you're looking at, there's really been no conversation at all as to what you're going to do with it!

Something you may/may not have considered is a subject of much discussion here- the fact of the increasing number of private parks that restrict Rv's to those ten years old or newer. It's not real common (yet) where I live, but it looks like it's something you're more likely to encounter in your neck of the woods, at least per the following post:

Just thought you may want to consider that if you haven't already...here's a
link to the current discussion, in case you missed it and are interested.
Hm that is something I have never of before, I have a couple friends with RV's in the same range and they have never been told no. I have even booked 3 trips this year so far and not one place has asked us the year, just the size and amp service. We even booked Newport Dunes and they didn't ask the year.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:29 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff753 View Post
Can you let me know the manufacture and model of the couches? Thanks. Looks nice!!

Jeff
Sure, he has all the receipts but I'll make sure I ask him for the information and I'll PM it to ya.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:36 PM   #49

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff753

Jeff
My wife would love it!!!
Thanks.
Jeff753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:38 PM   #50

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Hm that is something I have never of before, I have a couple friends with RV's in the same range and they have never been told no. I have even booked 3 trips this year so far and not one place has asked us the year, just the size and amp service. We even booked Newport Dunes and they didn't ask the year.
Sounds like you're good, then.

Like I said, this isn't that common where I live but since I'd seen that SoCal post I thought it might be where you are. Glad to hear it's no problem at the places you like to go!
Old 01-03-2013, 05:47 PM   #51

Add engine coolant to the list unless you already know that it has been changed. Even Long Life coolant should be changed in 5 years or less.
Tizbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:47 PM   #52

Quote:
Sounds like you're good, then.

Like I said, this isn't that common where I live but since I'd seen that SoCal post I thought it might be where you are. Glad to hear it's no problem at the places you like to go!
So I called a 6 different places we want to go in California and only one had restrictions but it was size and not year.

IMO if the place only wants new MHs then it's a place we won't enjoy anyways

Plus we plan on going more out of state than anything and size matters then more than year.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:48 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tizbad View Post
Add engine coolant to the list unless you already know that it has been changed. Even Long Life coolant should be changed in 5 years or less.
All fluids were changed recently, he says he has the report and receipts.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:15 PM   #54

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff753 View Post

Jeff

Jeff,
I bet the furniture was from here RV Furniture Seats Motorhome Sofa Bed Seatcraft RV Furniture Belmont .

I've been shopping for a power recliner co-pilots seat and saw their site. They're inn SoCal.
BPOE #2504
Bobs911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:43 PM   #55

Monaco Owners Club
Don't spend your last dollar on a used coach, but have a fund for fixing her up. Everything works out, and you will enjoy having uneventful trips along with the eventful ones. Doesn't matter the age of the coach one is never guaranteed a uneventful trip. If you worry about what could go wrong having a MH.... motorhoming might not be for you. deSanford It is all part of future camp fire stories ENJOY.
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:24 PM   #56

Quote:
Question about tires, if they are old, say 10+ years is it safe to drive the MH 80 miles home or should I take it directly to a tire place? Obviously if they are cracking or shredding I wouldn't ask but what if they look fine?
If they are 10+ years old I would take it right to a tire place and have them replaced. A tire blow out can cause thousands of $s in damage to the underside of your rig.

If you decide to get it buy Good Sam's Platinum service before you buy it just in case you need to get it towed at some point on the drive home. With that low of mileage you don't know when it last went for a drive. You can feel better about driving it if the last long trip it took was a few months ago. If it was a few years ago...I'd be sure I had some type of roadside assistance lined up.

I would not plan on flying down, seeing it, buying it and driving it back that night. Best to see it and write down your list of items. When you get home you can check on the cost to do them and find tires if they are needed. Then if you decide you want to buy it, you can always drive down with your wife and pick it up the next day. That will give her a chance to see it. She and the baby can follow you home in the car if the tires are good. If they are 5 or 6 yrs old then they are probably OK to drive home on. But 10+ yrs I'd be very nervous about.
micd is offline   Reply With Quote