RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-18-2020, 07:05 PM   #1

Too hot or too cool

we have 2009 HR that the engine AC and heat control is not right. If you run on AC it is cold and when you try to turn it down a bit I have to turn it a lot and does nothing unless you go all the way and then go to heat. It like you either have full cool or full heat. We had the same dash control in our 2007 Damon and it was the same way. Anyone else experience this?
gmc70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2020, 08:25 PM   #2

Wow! You'd have thought that between 2006 and 2009 they would have figured out how to get that to work right. Our '06 Dynasty works identically to yours. SAD!!! I've even tried moving it maybe 10° to 20° of arc at a time, waiting literally minutes between moves for any temperatures in the plenum to stabilize, and it stays at the temp seeting it was at when I started until it finally changes 100% to the opposite setpoint. It is either hot or cold. Absolutely no intermediate temperature settings. Must be rocket science!! I gave up on trying to get it to work most of 15 years ago!!!!!
K7JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 04:30 PM   #3

It's hard for me to get every year ,make and model aligned with their issues and parts in my brain. BUT if they the tiny speaker/mic looking covers over thermistors/temp sensors to thermostats. Owners have found the tip of thermistor basicly flush with or on wall and pulled them out into air some. Also read that some thermostats have a built in thermistor that will take over if you unplug the remote one and the thermostat is in a better location, I can't confirm. There's a recent thread running on issue last 3-4 days. Either in Monaco , Class A , MH general or General discussion.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 01:00 PM   #4

It's probably the hot water control valve out front where the generator is.

Sometimes they are off or on instead of gradually decreasing the water flow.

Some of them are controlled by a cable, others are vacuum controlled.

Mine is very slow reacting also but given enough time mine will work.

I usually turn it all the way to cool wait until the air is cool then start slowly
introducing heat.
On mine, the air is slow to cool down but much faster to heat up.
RamiDav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 05:43 PM   #5

Well just returned from a short trip to a car show and now I have NO heat at all. AC works fine but absolutely no heat. Don't need AC at 45 degrees. Now the search is on for new control panel. Any ideas where to look. I leave tuesday for another big car show so I guess it will be house heat in the morning.
gmc70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 08:51 PM   #6

I still believe the water control valve is your problem.

Temporarily you can remove it by using a coupling in its place.

You won't have heat control except for the fan but you probably won't need to turn the
heat down for quite some time.

Check here, they may have a control panel Northwest RV Supply

Ray
RamiDav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 07:48 PM   #7

Can you post a picture of the control panel you are talking about
I have a 2008 Knight

May have the control panel you are looking for
Not sure I brought it with me to FL
if it is the correct one I will look for it in the coach
doublechevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 08:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc70 View Post
we have 2009 HR that the engine AC and heat control is not right. If you run on AC it is cold and when you try to turn it down a bit I have to turn it a lot and does nothing unless you go all the way and then go to heat. It like you either have full cool or full heat. We had the same dash control in our 2007 Damon and it was the same way. Anyone else experience this?
Many times the selector inside doesn't control the heater valve correctly out under the hood so to speak where the gennie is. I installed a hand controlled water valve (from home depot) and installed it inline of the heater control valve. When it's cold outside and I want heat, I open it, and when it's hot outside and there is a chance I may want A/C, I close it. I almost bought a new control panel from either of the first 2 links below, but decided not too. Any of the 3 links may have what you need:

1. https://comfortairgr.com/product-cat...rome-rv-parts/

2. Motorhome Dash AC and Heat systemsMotorhome Dash AC and Heat systems

3. Dash A/C Parts: nwrvsupply.com
Mile Marker 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 02:59 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
This issue should be really easy to diagnose (assuming you have a water control valve like in mine). Just open up the front and locate the water control valve. On that valve you can see an arm. When you turn it full cold you should be able to watch the arm move all the way to one side. Turn it full hot and you will also see it move all the way to the other side.

If it's moving properly then I suggest removing the hoses from the valve and doing the test again, this time watching the inside of the valve to make sure it too is moving back and forth.

It's a very simple system and you can watch it work so that you understand it.
BobJones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 12:14 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobJones View Post
This issue should be really easy to diagnose (assuming you have a water control valve like in mine). Just open up the front and locate the water control valve. On that valve you can see an arm. When you turn it full cold you should be able to watch the arm move all the way to one side. Turn it full hot and you will also see it move all the way to the other side.

If it's moving properly then I suggest removing the hoses from the valve and doing the test again, this time watching the inside of the valve to make sure it too is moving back and forth.

It's a very simple system and you can watch it work so that you understand it.
X-2
flamebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 03:09 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by K7JV View Post
Wow! You'd have thought that between 2006 and 2009 they would have figured out how to get that to work right. Our '06 Dynasty works identically to yours. SAD!!! I've even tried moving it maybe 10° to 20° of arc at a time, waiting literally minutes between moves for any temperatures in the plenum to stabilize, and it stays at the temp seeting it was at when I started until it finally changes 100% to the opposite setpoint. It is either hot or cold. Absolutely no intermediate temperature settings. Must be rocket science!! I gave up on trying to get it to work most of 15 years ago!!!!!
Some things never change. My 2018 Ram Cummins dually is the same way. It's a Tradesman package. Just a cold to hot dial.
More expensive packages might not have that problem. My Duramax LTZ with dual temp control never did it. Actual temperature settings dial.
Fishar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 04:14 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Back in the day I measured the temperature with an accurate digital thermometer. Ours worked perfectly over the entire spectrum. It is a very simple system, If the temperature is set at half-way between hot and cold you should see that referenced at the flow valve. Ie, that's it's ~50% open.

Having said that, getting good heat over 72' of heater hose from an engine that, for all intents and purposes, seems to always run cold, well, that's probably why the owner's manual says that it's better to use the furnace as you go down the road. And I agree. Unless you can isolate the front from the rear, you just can't expect much.
BobJones is online now   Reply With Quote