RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-01-2017, 05:11 PM   #1
Whe

Total loss of power!

Total loss of power!
2004 Monaco Windsor. On a recent trip, experienced a total lost of power (chassis electric) and engine. Safely coasted to a stop, engine restarted and drove the next 500 miles home, no problem. Just picked up coach( was having the gen serviced) and coach stalled out 4 times in the 3 miles home from service center. Luckily the last time is in the drive at home. Now there is nothing as I turn the key. No dash light or gauge activity at all , and no starting. All power inside the coach is fine. Anyone else have this experience? Where to look 1st-2nd?? Fairly mechanical, but puzzled. Removed shutoff switch and bolted lines together in case switch was bad. No luck. (After the final stall, if I turned the key to the run position, I would have power to activate the wipers, leveling leveling system and a very dim light illuminating on the smart wheel. Now nothing at all.) thanks.

Whe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2017, 05:37 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I own a 2002 Windsor.

I have a battery disconnect for both house and chassis.

~3 years ago, while preparing to leave for a trip, when I tried to start the coach there was no power to the dash and the coach wouldn't start. Prior to this it had been an intermittent problem.

First thing I checked was the chassis disconnect, it was not passing power. I bypassed it by removing the 2 wires and bolting together, the coach started right up. I ordered a new disconnect and it fixed the problem.

The disconnect was a sealed unit, I tried to get it apart but gave up. My guess is that the contacts were shot but can't confirm.

jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 06:09 PM   #3
Whe

I will check that. I did notice a while back the switch felt a bit sloppy. It would turn what seemed to far past the off position. Hopeful that’s all it is. Thanks
Old 11-01-2017, 08:58 PM   #4

Triple E Owners Club
I had the same problem on my 98 Mountain Aire pusher...it was the transfer switch. Annoying but at least relatively cheap.
koresample is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 09:21 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

I'm gonna bet Jim is right! Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 08:40 PM   #6
Whe

Removed switch and was able to connect lines together bypassing the shut off switch but unfortunately no luck starting. What seems odd, after the final stall out I turned the the key to the “Run “ position and I could activate the wipers and had a very dim light illuminate on the smart wheel and I could activate the leveling system. Now there is nothing. Any other thoughts? Maybe ignition, is there a fuse that I’m overlooking?
Old 11-02-2017, 08:55 PM   #7

Check voltage at chassis battery posts. It will probably be good, but first things first. Then remove battery cables and clean them and battery posts very well and reconnect.
Old 11-02-2017, 09:28 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I would guess a battery problem. Maybe something simple like corrosion. It is unusual though that this happened right after having the genset serviced.
Old 11-02-2017, 09:38 PM   #9

A late good evening Whe; Hi, I am on the west coast so I know there is some time difference, but I will try to do some guessing here. First, I assume, your chassis batteries are fully charged and in good shape. Since this problem is interment, by any change do you have a resettable, high amperage breaker in the chassis side of the system? I have an 01 Windsor and when I raise my bed up, I only have a kitchen slide, and look into the engine bay there are some relays, for the starter motor and grid heater, but also, I think some hi amp breakers. I think some are automatically reset themselves and others, I think, you have to manually reset. I am sure I have seen pictures of the ones you have to reset manually. Also is it possible that for some reason you have lost most of your ground, negative side of the chassis system. I know this is late in the evening for this post, but tomorrow I would get a multi meter and star at the batteries an work your way into the engine bay. If you have the owners manual, it might have some wiring diagrams to give you a direction to go. Even with by- passing the battery disconnect, you are getting very little power to components. A lot of this is just some guess work on my part, but it may get you going tomorrow. I am sure some better electricians by tomorrow will chime in with more ideas. Let us know if you find something and good hunting tomorrow.
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 10:29 AM   #10

On a recent trip after checking into a park, I turned the key and got nothing. I noticed that the light was out on the chassis kill indicator, went under the hood to the battery and found a loose cable. Tightened it and no more trouble. Also, check for a loose ground cable.
ricknancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 12:56 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
I read so many posts from people having loose battery connections. Never understood why the manufacturers use regular nuts with a split washer anywhere? (Cheaper I guess?). They are NFG and come loose in high vibration areas. Every chance I get, I replace them with stainless nylock nut and star washer with inside teeth. Star washer “bites” for better contact, and the nut will not rust as easily as regular steel.
Buly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 01:38 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buly View Post
I read so many posts from people having loose battery connections. Never understood why the manufacturers use regular nuts with a split washer anywhere? (Cheaper I guess?). They are NFG and come loose in high vibration areas. Every chance I get, I replace them with stainless nylock nut and star washer with inside teeth. Star washer “bites” for better contact, and the nut will not rust as easily as regular steel.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0300.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	181851
Mossberg 930
Buly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 09:20 PM   #13
Whe

So I’ve finally had some time from work to look a bit deeper. Pulled batteries, had them checked( they’re good), cleaned terminals and reconnected. Replaced coach kill switch. Checked and receiving good power through kill switch and on all connections in rear power compartment. Went into engine compartment, checked and have good power at all connections there. Talked to a service tech that suggested the ignition could be bad. Will test that next , though I doubt that is the issue. Tomorrow(Saturday) I’ll will have the time to check any and all ground connections. Hopeful to find something there. Any additional thoughts?
Old 11-11-2017, 10:44 AM   #14

Triple E Owners Club
Do you have an inverter in the coach? If so, have you checked it's auto transfer switch ( more of a relay or solid state type of switch)?

Tags
loss of power, power