Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2013, 08:16 AM   #1

Tow wiring questions

Hi I asked this question on the toad and towing board and so far haven't gotten a response (not that it's been that long). Since I'm kind of against a deadline I'll ask over here too. I've owned the coach for a while now but have never used it for towing. I have just purchased a enclosed trailer that I want to tow. The trailer has the 7 blade round plug. The motorhome was obviously used to pull a toad as there is Roadmaster 6 pin round that is hooked thru a Roadmaster Brite Lite adapter. I am going to cut all of that off and just wire in a 7 blade round. I thought this was going to be pretty straight forward other than having to run a 12v fused hot wire. The 6 pin has a white=ground, brown=taillights, yellow=left turn, green=right turn, grey=reverse, and the one that is confusing me is the red wire that lights up the tester light when the brakes are applied. Would this be coming from a brake controller? As far as I know I don't have one. Any help would be appreciated. I guess I should mention that the trailer already has the Tekonsha wireless brake controller installed on it so I won't be needing to run a brake controller wire. Thanks for any help, Mark
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2013, 10:33 AM   #2

JMHO. If your are not sure of the source, of the brake signal wire , and don't need a feed for trailer brake control. Insulate the wire and don't hook it to anything.
Could be the PO, had it hooked to the center stop light.
Or had a toad , with separate brake/signal lights.
Old 09-09-2013, 04:24 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdc99 View Post
Hi I asked this question on the toad and towing board and so far haven't gotten a response (not that it's been that long). Since I'm kind of against a deadline I'll ask over here too. I've owned the coach for a while now but have never used it for towing. I have just purchased a enclosed trailer that I want to tow. The trailer has the 7 blade round plug. The motorhome was obviously used to pull a toad as there is Roadmaster 6 pin round that is hooked thru a Roadmaster Brite Lite adapter. I am going to cut all of that off and just wire in a 7 blade round. I thought this was going to be pretty straight forward other than having to run a 12v fused hot wire. The 6 pin has a white=ground, brown=taillights, yellow=left turn, green=right turn, grey=reverse, and the one that is confusing me is the red wire that lights up the tester light when the brakes are applied. Would this be coming from a brake controller? As far as I know I don't have one. Any help would be appreciated. I guess I should mention that the trailer already has the Tekonsha wireless brake controller installed on it so I won't be needing to run a brake controller wire. Thanks for any help, Mark
If you have a VOM you can check and see what the voltage is on the red "mystery" wire is. If its from a brake controller it will likely be much less than 12 volts.
Chad
onechaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 05:04 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
I read and answered on your other thread about this issue. Since you said your MH has separate brake and amber turn lights, you either need the same on the trailer or continue using the Brite-lite converter. That converter makes the yellow and green turn filaments both light when the brakes are applied. You have one red light on each corner of the trailer rear, it has a single bulb with two filaments. The dimmer light are your tail lights, powered by the brown wire. The yellow and green wires power the turn signals and together they are the brake lights. If the system with the 6 pin outlet works in this manner, changing over to the 7 pin outlet is easy, you'll need to match the green, yellow, brown and white wires to the new appropriate pin of the 7 pin outlet. If your trailer has back-up lights, then wire the grey one too. I'd ignore the red wire if you don't know it's source and have an alternate brake controller. The only thing you'll have to do is run a wire from the battery, with an auto reset circuit breaker (10-20 amp is plenty) to the 12 v pin of the new outlet. This will not only charge the trailer break-a-way battery charger but any interior lights in the trailer.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 06:00 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
If you have the amber turn signals and red stop lights on the MH then the red wire is the stop lights. Like has been said you need to keep the Bright-Lite converter. I am sure the yellow, green and Red wires are connected to it.
Review the Bright-Lite instructions on the Roadmaster website and it should all be clear.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:09 AM   #6

Thanks for the responses from all. I started to crawl under there to check out the wiring and noticed there was anti-freeze dripping, after further inspection I found the 2 tubes that cool the Air compressor were so badly corroded that 1 was leaking. So I jumped on to removing them, finished up about midnight. Drove an hour to my local Cummins dealer this morning and fortunately they had the tubes in stock. Got them and made it back to work on-time. Unfortunately I work til 7pm tonite so it looks like another late nite replacing the tubes before I can really concentrate on the wiring. My apologies for asking for quick help and not getting back, as you can see I got side-tracked.
Back to the wiring, yes the trailer has only a single taillight on each side. It is vertical LED strip with the hi-low feature. I haven't really had a chance to study the responses but it seems the consensus is that I would need to use the "brite Lite". I'll study the responses and report back if I have any questions. Thanks to all that have taken time to respond. Mark

Tags
wiring